Is it an Ebay thing or are modelers just crazy????

So, I've been looking for a R/M EA-6B for a while now with little luck. Every once in a while one comes up on Ebay and the bidding immediately gets crazy........but today took the cake.....over $120.00 for the kit. Just the kit. No resin or AM decals. I had to laugh and then remember the days when I bought Monogram SBD's, Avengers and Wildcats for $1.49! ..... Cliff BTW I found a Prowler today at a decent price ( thanks Kevin)

I think there is a Revell A-6 in the Buy/Sell section right now for like 40

EDIT - Yeah...just found it.....Tony Hayes has one...http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=134361

Edited by paul.nortness

It’s the red mist - “gotta have it†takes over and you lose all rationality. I’ve been corresponding over the weekend with someone who gave up when an Aeroclub Vulcan hit $500. Sensible man …and I’ve just given up on a Paragon OV-10 conversion because it hit the UK RRP.

Mind you, sometimes you get lucky. I’ve seen stuff go for silly money that I paid buttons for. The trick is not to be bidding at the same time as some nutbar with no self-control. The real trick is to spot him coming. My approach to eBay is that it only exists to give me bargains. If I can’t get at least 25% off, I stop. Set the limit accordingly and, yes, someone will beat me this time, but karma will spot it and I’ll get the breaks next time.

seán

It's interesting how eBay generates the feeding frenzy mentality, driving some things over retail, even before shipping.

I've barely bought anything on there in the last few years, as it's become much tougher to find real value.

Yep, picked up a 1/72 Hase F-4g at the Orlando model show a few months back, new and sealed, for 10 bucks. Heard these were going for big bucks on ebay. Shows are the way to go if you can get to one. And ARC'ers of course. Man, I have been given such good deals and helped out on here, it's great.

Yeah, Pete & Andy, we've had one of those here in Tucson, too....manager of a LHS, then of a HTU, who had to make it clear that whatever product you were trying to find information about, he was lord and master of building, better than anything you could ever dream of. Very condescending. The guy drove me to mail order without much effort.

It’s the red mist - “gotta have it†takes over and you lose all rationality. I’ve been corresponding over the weekend with someone who gave up when an Aeroclub Vulcan hit $500. Sensible man …and I’ve just given up on a Paragon OV-10 conversion because it hit the UK RRP.

That wouldn't have been the one that went for.....£465 + £15 postage :D would it? Hope the buyer enjoys!

Yeah, Pete & Andy, we've had one of those here in Tucson, too....manager of a LHS, then of a HTU, who had to make it clear that whatever product you were trying to find information about, he was lord and master of building, better than anything you could ever dream of. Very condescending. The guy drove me to mail order without much effort.

Is it a requirement somewhere that a certain percentage of hobbyshop owners have to act like this?

Been there

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

I'm just always miffed because the stuff I've put on there in the past, some of it the same stuff that goes for high bids, never does anything. I buy stuff off ebay, but I never sell there anymore.

On the "Local vs. Mail order thing", I've tried to be as supportive as I can to the LHS's in my area. The problem I always have is the same attitude some of you others have mentioned. One shop in my area used to go and seek out people's collections from estate sales, etc. Nowadays, they keep shrinking inventory and raising prices. They love to tell me "If you want something, we can certainly order it."

Well, so can I, and then I cut out their retail markup. Now, I just use them pretty much for paint, putty, and things like that. The kits I get from Sprue Bros, ebay, etc.

JB

'Been looking for a F-111C/FB-111 for a while and tried Evil-Bay and they have gone for over $50, got one at the model show Sat. for $25, patience grasshopper!

Too bad I didn't know, I have one in my stash I probably will never build. If you are talking Academy.

Yep, picked up a 1/72 Hase F-4g at the Orlando model show a few months back, new and sealed, for 10 bucks. Heard these were going for big bucks on ebay.

I'll give you $200.00 for it! ;) :blink:

You're right though, I find a ton of gems at various shows. It's where I end up getting a good percentage of the kits I build.

I know what you're saying about that Prowler kit. I've been looking for one for a some time, and the proces keep going up. Missed one for 40$ 6 months ago :woot.gif:

Monogam C-47 also often goes over 100 on evilbay, SOL Su-30,33,35 sets to (love to get my hands on one of those.... :( )

Weird how Ebay works. I just got a new Italeri truck and trrailer kit, the Baywatch kit, for $55 brand new, but I also saw the Revell Ford Aeromax go for over $70! And I bought 3 ofthem for $17 ea. It seems that a lot of those high price bids are wars between two or three fairly new-to-ebay bidders.

That wouldn't have been the one that went for.....£465 + £15 postage :doh: would it? Hope the buyer enjoys!

How much??? That's nearly 8% of the entire value of my stash! And the tragedy is, he might never get closer to building it.

The guy I was in touch with was wondering why Aeroclub didn't put the Vulcan back into production. If people are prepared to pay that for it, their worries about it bankrupting them would have to be over ...

I remember reading one of the main reasons Aeroclub said they wouldn't reissue the kit was that it was such a pain to mold the kits due to their size, apparently it was one of those "best of X tries" situations.

£465+£15 postage! That's nearly 980USD at the current exchange rates!

Dang!

Ken

"Is it an Ebay thing or are modelers just crazy????"

It's both. In this case, neither one of these people probably bothered to look through the rest of eBay to compare prices or even looked at other retail sites or elsewhere online for it.

Oh well, the seller is probably thrilled with the final sale price (IF he actually gets the money).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007

As per the thread on Hobbycraft Do-17's, I'm personally afraid to spend much more than £50 or so, in case I stuff the model concerned :blink: Kudos - buyer went for what (s)he wanted!

Now, the questions is, do you build that kit, or hide it away and insure it? :coolio:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007

As per the thread on Hobbycraft Do-17's, I'm personally afraid to spend much more than £50 or so, in case I stuff the model concerned :doh: Kudos - buyer went for what (s)he wanted!

I sometimes look for kits/aftermarket goodies on ebay, but I compare the retail and what i am willing to pay for the item with consideration of the shipping cost!!!!!

My wife would destroy the volcan if I paid that much for it and everything would be outside in the dog house, or at least around the dog house! :thumbsup:

WOW that is something. I have seen a built 1/48 B-1B sell for 1200.00usd on ebay. Crazy!