My understanding is that its primarily used for show. I don't think it serves much practical purpose, other than watching taxpayer dollars burning as it drops thousands of litres of fuel out the back to light. I can still enjoy it, its not my money. Yet.

Will

My understanding is that its primarily used for show. I don't think it serves much practical purpose, other than watching taxpayer dollars burning as it drops thousands of litres of fuel out the back to light. I can still enjoy it, its not my money. Yet.

Will

There is no way that the manufacturer would have spent the time and money to design this into the aircraft just so they can pull off a cool stunt at an airshow.

Most aircraft have fuel dump systems. If they get into an emergency situation after take off with full tanks, they will need to rapidly dump fuel to get down to landing weight. Otherwise they would have to circle for a long time and burn off fuel. Not exactly a good solution when you have an engine on fire or some other major emergency.

Not sure why they chose to route the fuel dump valve next to the engines though. Maybe it was just the shortest amount of plumbing?

It's possible w/t F-14 (fueldump is located in the beavertail between the engines), but I believe the F-18's fuel dump(s) are located at the top of the rudders.

I could be wrong thou

Ves :)

Actually there are two seperate photos. If you look below the top one you can see a faint horizontal line. My next batch will be in color. Now that I've had my B/W prints redone, I've started to have my slides printed.

There is no way that the manufacturer would have spent the time and money to design this into the aircraft just so they can pull off a cool stunt at an airshow.

Most aircraft have fuel dump systems. If they get into an emergency situation after take off with full tanks, they will need to rapidly dump fuel to get down to landing weight. Otherwise they would have to circle for a long time and burn off fuel. Not exactly a good solution when you have an engine on fire or some other major emergency.

Not sure why they chose to route the fuel dump valve next to the engines though. Maybe it was just the shortest amount of plumbing?

I am aware that 99.99% of aircraft have the ability to dump fuel rapidly like the F-111. It is my understanding, however, that the fashion the Pig does it in is quite unique. This fuel outlet obviously serves another purpose, but the dump n' burn function is purely for show.

Will

So then it is an accident of design? The best place to put the fuel dump outlet was between the engines, and it so happens that the fuel ignites when dumped. Or can the F-111 dump fuel without igniting it?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
So then it is an accident of design? The best place to put the fuel dump outlet was between the engines, and it so happens that the fuel ignites when dumped. Or can the F-111 dump fuel without igniting it?

Chris

There is no reason that the F-111 has to burn the fuel when dumped. The only way to get the fuel to burn in the first place is to have the engines in Afterburner. Without afterburner, no flamage...

I'm not sure if it was a design thing to be able to burn the fuel with the AB, but the dump mast has a "Flame Arrestor" built into it. Having said that, the F/A-18's fuel dump ports have flame arrestors too. Doesn't mean that the F-18 can do a dump and burn though :wacko:

Anyway, here's some more Aussie Pig pics...

P2040027.jpg

F111-07.jpg

f111132.jpg

AMB16Mar07-AvalonAirshowPractive250.jpg

A8-132_HARM.jpg

@ikar - That photo of the F-111 on jacks brings back nightmares!! :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...