So then it is an accident of design? The best place to put the fuel dump outlet was between the engines, and it so happens that the fuel ignites when dumped. Or can the F-111 dump fuel without igniting it?

Chris

How about this,

It's a anti-MIG toaster. They let the MIG get in close, then dump fuel on him and then ignite it. Instant toasted MIG! :worship:

Actually my take on it, would be that it was just a design happenstance as it was easier to route the fuel to dump out the tail instead of designing all that plumbing and pumps to run the fuel through the "swing wing."

Also in emergencies when you are dumping fuel you are not going to be circling the airfield in afterburner! :cheers:

Also if you all remember the SR-71 could do it as well.

Dave, thanks for the thread revitalisation and great shot. Is your pic perhaps of an F-111F, noting the Pave Tack pod?

Nice pics Motty, especially the RF- underside. Clearly the SUU-20 is easier to leave on rather than remove it for the display.....

Cheers,

Andrew.

Dave, thanks for the thread revitalisation and great shot. Is your pic perhaps of an F-111F, noting the Pave Tack pod?

Nice pics Motty, especially the RF- underside. Clearly the SUU-20 is easier to leave on rather than remove it for the display.....

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Mate,

As for the SUU-20, I imagine that, for a Pig, it's a case of "SUU-20? What SUU-20? ................Ohhh, that little thing? Pffft!" ;)

Cheers,

Motty.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew, you are correct, my bad. Correction made.

Wow, your photos have inspired me to try and finish my F-111!

Mottys-F-111-8-126_2008_10_05_9999_1867-LR-1-001.jpg

Cheers,

Motty.

I this picture, what's in the weapons bay? Is it some kind of camera package?

Also, in pictures of parked F-111s I've noticed a small slat hanging down between the engines, what exactly is this? It looks like it's too short to be an arrestor hook.

Chris

ASY-F111-A8272-YMAV-170305-02_sml.jpg

Nathan

Man oh man...that is one sweet shot.....you caught it right at rotation.....lift has just taken affect and liftoff is imminent!!!

Thanks, I'll just have to save and make that a desktop for Oh say a few months!!! :D

Wow, your photos have inspired me to try and finish my F-111!

I this picture, what's in the weapons bay? Is it some kind of camera package?

Also, in pictures of parked F-111s I've noticed a small slat hanging down between the engines, what exactly is this? It looks like it's too short to be an arrestor hook.

Chris

Yes, that's the RF-111C package, where the bomb bay is completely taken up by reconnaisance/camera package.

-Hoops

Some more Vark pics....

AmberleyAirshow2008147-Copy.jpg

AmberleyAirshow2008183-Copy.jpg

AmberleyAirshow2008172.jpg

AmberleyAirshow2008148-Copy.jpg

I beleive the little thing hanging at the back is something to stop the tail of the F-111 hitting the ground while as it rotates...?

Tom

I am curious about the Vulcan cannon fit on 'Vark's. How often was it fitted and on which models? Do the RAAF models have the capability and is it a normal fit, if they can? Also, the Squadron book has a line drawing of the cannon and it's fairing, but does anyone have detail shots of it?

I am curious about the Vulcan cannon fit on 'Vark's. How often was it fitted and on which models? Do the RAAF models have the capability and is it a normal fit, if they can? Also, the Squadron book has a line drawing of the cannon and it's fairing, but does anyone have detail shots of it?

There's an excellent article by Jim Rotramel of all things weapons bay, including operational details of the M61 gun, here.

HTH,

Andre

Thank you, that article was awesome! It had exactly the shots I was looking for.

Well, to give credit where credit is due - don't thank me, thank Jim Rotramel for writing the article!

Incidentally, have you noticed the other parts in this series? All very helpful for your model.

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Great pics, Jeff - and you got to see Aardvarks..!

That's an ELTA ECM pod under the aft fuselage, right..?

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre! :thumbsup:......yep, it was a bit of good luck that our F-111's were at Nellis when I was visiting there in February and I got to shoot them for which will probably be for the last time before they are retired here Down Under, and are replaced by Super Hornets, so it was a good feeling to be able to get one last go at them, and at Red Flag was a bonus!

Yes, that is also correct about the ELTA ECM Pod.

Cheers,

Jeff.