1/48 Special Hobby Barracuda II/III

while im waiting for the weekend so i can use my airbruah and glue to dry on my RCN spit XV, Ive decided to get a bit done on my barracuda for the group build.

all around its an oK kit. it has a few minor issues, such as very difficult to assemble photoetche(i HATE :thumbsup: having to thread the buckjles on the belts!!!!!!) no interior side wall details for the rear gunner ,so im going to have to do a bit of detailing there ,and i wish it had the option to fold the wings. I dont have the time or patience right now for any more chopping, so i think im going to prettymuch shake and bake this one and leave the wings out

here are some pics of everything out of the box. ill probably get a few update pics later today with what i get done on the cockpit area.

Picture156.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture154.jpg

sean

didnt get as much done on this one as i would have liked. ITs a little on the rougher side than i origanily thought. there also isnt all that much reference material out there, so if anyone has ANY pictures on the interior and cockpit, id love to see them. if i cant find anything, im jsut going to use a couple of online builds, tho id prefer to stay away from that as i dont know how accurate they are.

well, all i managed to get done was the basics of the cokcpit. im going to get the basic interior shell complete so i can start to see how things fit together with the fuselage before i get to far. i have a feeling that the fit isnt going to be the greatest.

here is a pic of it so far.

Picture013.jpg

if anybody has any tips or references for this model, id greatly appreciate them

thanks,

sean

got some detailing done on the right fuselage half. i think im going to completly detail one side so i can get a good comparison on what it would like OOB and what it looks like with the detailing.

it takes a bit of time with this model as there are no locator pins on any of the parts and it has VERY soft plastic.

here is waht it looks like at the moment

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

sean

• 2 weeks later...

well, after i went through a week or so of having no want or energy to do scratch building, i finally picked this one up again. i changed the structure in the cockpit a little bit to make it a little easier to work with and make things symetrical on both sides. I also got all the little bits attached to the fuselage 'tub'(if you can call it that) and i think im pretty much ready for a first coat of interior green.

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture019.jpg

I have to say, i don't think ill have too many of these limited run kits on the go at once...they need ALOT of work to get them right.

thanks for looking,

sean

I spent monday at my fathers doing a mass interior painting session so i got some colour put on this bird.i flollowed that up with a bit of black, red and some drybrushing to see what it would all look like. now i just have a bit of wire to install, paint and it will be ready for a wash.

Picture032.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

sean

• 2 weeks later...

i got the fuselage together and realised how unbeleivebly horribel the seams are on this kit. no matter how much sanding and fitting i did i was left with about a quater inch gap along the bottom. i filled it with some strip styrene, and played aruund with the center section of the landing gear doors till it looked alright. i got a layer of putty on it and i have yet to get the energy/want to start sanding it, so its been moved to the bottom of the list for a bit.

here it is so far:

22.jpg

HPIM0898.jpg

HPIM0893.jpg

HPIM0894.jpg

HPIM0895.jpg

HPIM0896.jpg

HPIM0897.jpg

sean

I got the wings together on this one. they are another headache n themselves. the fit on the wheel bays is horrible, and since there are no locator pins it is impossible to test fit anything, its a matter of gluing it together, fitting, THEN trimming. the only real issue after getting it all together is the landing light. it just didnt want to fit properly, so i had to put a bit of putty around the sides, and after a quick sand it should look ok.

now i have to get the fuselage sadned and try to get the wings to line up properly.. i can feel the headache on its way already :cheers:

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

HPIM0930.jpg

HPIM0932.jpg

sean

• 4 weeks later...

I got the wings glued on and a bit of putty applied. i was working on the canopy area and i took to much off so i am going to need to rebuild a part of it. im working on the seats and canopy so i can get every thing butoned up before i do too much sandning on the outside of this one.

here it is before putty

42.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

and after

48.jpg

50.jpg

49.jpg

sean

• 1 month later...

been a while since i have updated this one. Ive been haveing LOTS fof trouble masking hte canopy on this one. i"ve tried three different kinds of masking tape, and after an exhaustive search on the net..i have dscovered that no one makes a set of masks for this. The frames are jsut to shallow and vague to get a clean cut when using maskign tape and a sharp #11 blade.

In the end i have decided to completly cover the canopies and i will paint the framing by hadn after the rest of the model is done. i jstu can't come up with a better way.

here she is with a bit of putty and test primer

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

sean

Sean:

Having built the 72nd scale Barracuda (Special Hobby) I sympathize deeply with you. You might want to try prepainting some clear decal sheet (ie: EDSG or Dark Slate Greay over interior green) and cutting strips to the appropriate length and width. Worked for me in 72nd.

Be brave!

Alvin5182

I got around to painting the sky the other day and figured it was time to update this thread. my airbrush is starting to act up so it didnt turn out as good as i wanted it to, but i think its decent. this weekend im hoping to get the masking taken off and redone for the top camo.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

thanks for looking,

sean

• 4 months later...

WOW...its ahrd to beleive that it has been this long since I last updated this build!!! I got a start on the camo last week when I painted the Tarpon's turret, and I should have some pics of it up soon.

I plan to get back on this one as I have finished off most of the other models I have waiting in the pipeline.

Sean