Nice thread. Here's a random sampling of Sixes from my files...

F-106_line.jpg

F-106_Emergency.jpg

F-106_F-15.jpg

F-106B_1.jpg

F-106_Red.jpg

YF-16_F-106.jpg

and finally a 3 engine F-106...

F-106_1.jpg

Tony

Okay Tony,

What is the story on Pic 2,4,5 and 7??

Nice colors on 5 by the way.

Thanks,

Tricose

Edited by Tricose

Let's see... #2 is an emergency landing at Hamilton AFB on July 1, 1972; #4 is a test bird at Edwards, this one later went to NASA Lewis (later Glenn Research Center) for propulsion testing, #5 another test bird at Edwards AFB and #7 is a propulsion testbed at NASA Lewis in 1969. They tested all sorts of inlet and nozzle configurations on those engine pods.

Tony

Seeing the pic of Capt. Rickenbacker.....reminded me of an Al Capp reference to him in his L'il Abner strip....where his erstwhile hero was called Cap'n Eddy Ricketyback. I hope Capt. Rickenbacker signed off on it and did indeed get a laugh out of it.

• 2 months later...

A new world speed record over a closed course was set by this F-106B on 17 December 1983. The Delta Dart averaged 710 mph between Wright Patterson AFB, OH and Kitty Hawk, NC. The 461 nautical miles were flown in 44 minutes and 45 seconds. The flight was made to commemorate the Wright Brothers first flight. The crew consisted of Maj. Maurice C. Eldredge and Lt. Jeffrey Thomas of the 177th FIW, New Jersey Air National Guard. I, your faithful scribe was there to record the event.

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/88731/M/USA-Air-Force/Convair-F-106B-Delta-Dart-8/59-0149/

You can't see it, but this Dart has a Kill! It's denoted by the silhouette of a deer below the cockpit.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

...........The Delta Dart averaged 710 mph between Wright Patterson AFB, OH and Kitty Hawk, NC. The 461 nautical miles were flown in 44 minutes and 45 seconds.

Imagine what it could do if it had a Pratt & Whitney F119 instead of the P&W J75.... :whistle: .

Thank you Dave you are another set of eyes for those unable to attend such events. You and your magic photography machine.

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...