Ah the duck tour at Tyndall when they left us out under a tent in a rather rowdy thunderstorm complete

with lighting hits around the area. The weather aborts created some unique photo opportunities along with

really wet shoes. :)

That picure of a Mass ANG 102nd FW F-106 brought back a cool memory. When I was a kid back in the late 70's, I had the pleasure to see one of their F-106's scream over my beachfront neighborhood approx 100' off the ground, in full afterburner, at seven in the morning. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

Years later, I was working at Otis ANG Base and mentioned the incident to one of the ANG maintenance techs. He told me that it was probably a specific pilot that had been known for such things. He figured that this guy had friends or family living nearby and wanted to give them a unique wake-up call. Seems like this guy was somewhat of a legend.

You won't see anything like that these days. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Naked Sixes. From April, 1983 at McChord AFB during their annual open house/air show. The 318th FIS was getting ready to trade in their F-106s for F-15s and had removed most or all of the 318th markings from their Darts by this time.

Photos taken by Mark Harlin and used by permission....

Mark

Sixes_31.jpg

Sixes_21.jpg

Sixes_11.jpg

Edited by Mark O. Williams
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of an F-106 cockpit that I want to share. These were taken at the South Dakota Air and Space Museum which is located outside the main gate to Ellsworth AFB.

Joel

F106_1.jpg

F106_2.jpg

F106_3.jpg

F106_5.jpg

Edited by Tiger15
F106_5.jpg

Very cool! I never knew about that one up there! Wonder where they got it? I sure hope no one stole those missing instruments out of it and sold them on eBay. Every now and then stuff like that shows up there. Ah, who knows! Maybe they had to 'can' them for a legit cause!

Thanks for posting!

Mark

The 106 pics of the 48th FIS are from my good friend Dennis Robinson, not sure when & where he took them. He has boxes full of these prints, I think many more than he realises he has!

F-106002.jpg

F-106001.jpg

I love these markings.

Julien :D

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Pat McGee here owner of button_f-106.gif www.f-106deltadart.com that Mark O. Williams has been mentioning.

There are some great pics in this thread that I'd like to add to my site. Anybody have any objections to me grabbing them and posting? Where I can find credits I will add them, or you can tell me of the credits later, but I'd really love to add some of these great pics into the site.

Lately I've been adding new pics into a Webshots album at http://community.webshots.com/user/f106deltadart rather than adding them onto my web server and I would do the same with anything here. Please let me know if there are any objections.