Sundowner posted this back last October on the F-14 page

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....32432&st=80

and I really got a kick out of it. My son is building a 1/48 F-14 right now and found this for me as I haven't been to the F-14 page in some time. Wish we had a color version of this!!

F-14vsF-106.jpg

Mark

First time seeing this pic. Would be neat to know what type of training they were conducting together.

First time seeing this pic. Would be neat to know what type of training they were conducting together.

As I understand it the Six units would do dissimilar aircraft training quite frequently - or at least as often as they could. Great training for pilots from both units. I'll put a question up on http://www.f-106deltadart.com and ask but I do recall seeing several photos in F-106 books of different units "fighting" the Navy.

Great question!

Mark

Just a reminder about Erv Smalley's 'WANTED' F-106 photos. He's on the lookout for any other tail numbers but these are his high interest tails. If you have other photos I know he'll be happy to add them to his site!

Photo Help Requested

We could use some help on finding or upgrading photos for the following 23 aircraft:

57-0242, 57-2462, 57-2474, 57-2484, 57-2488, 57-2489, 57-2511, 57-2534, 57-2542, 58-0762, 58-0771, 58-0794, 58-0798, 59-0013, 59-0017, 59-0029, 59-0039, 59-0045, 59-0050, 59-0087, 59-0113, 59-0120, 59-0139

Send them to http://www.convairf-106deltadart.com/

He sure will appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Mark

As I understand it the Six units would do dissimilar aircraft training quite frequently - or at least as often as they could. Great training for pilots from both units. I'll put a question up on http://www.f-106deltadart.com and ask but I do recall seeing several photos in F-106 books of different units "fighting" the Navy.

Great question!

Mark

That'll be great if you can post the question on that F-106 site. Be interesting if anyone who worked on or flew it has an answer.

Fighters try to get as much flying against different types as possible. In the 5th we used our T-33 for that as well as other types of missions. I watched some gun film from one of our F-15s at Kadena. He was engaging anything he could find, F-111s, f-4s, C-130s, and more. He was having a good run until he tried to go after a harrier that slipped sideways a bit and he flew past. Next he chased a cobra into a low level fight. big mistake.

On a serious note, the F-106 was quite in demand for DACT for a time in the 70's since it was a delta wing fighter.

Regards,

Murph

A shot in September 2006 at the dedication ceremony of 56-0461 painted as 57-0231 at Sawyer IAP, MI. Now on display outdoors.

025_23.jpg

And a model that was there at the ceremony. Missing the airbrakes but still a good model!

100_3025.jpg

Had to go deep into my way-back machine for these teo. The first was taken in 10/75 at the now closed NAS Cecil Field. The second was taken also at Cecil Field in 11/76. I' am for the extreme poor quailty but it is the only photo I have of the famous "Bicentennial F-106".

F-10675.jpg

scan0004-2.jpg

Harry

Thanks Ikar and Raptor for the comments. I have never try to duplicate the bicentennial scheme myself, although I can still kick my booty for not taking more pictures when the opportunities were there.

Thanks Ikar and Raptor for the comments. I have never try to duplicate the bicentennial scheme myself, although I can still kick my booty for not taking more pictures when the opportunities were there.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Too many times I have not taken enough photos of a one of a kind, or taken too many cruddy pics of the wrong subject and ignored the important one. It was neat to see someones own shot of that Six.