Harriers - all versions

Hi all,

These were taken at Yeovilton in March 2006, barely a fortnight before 801 NAS stood down and the Sea Harrier was withdrawn from UK service (was, and still is one of the most stupidest decisions ever made by by the UK MoD - and there's hardly a lack of competition). Not taken on a very good day I'm afraid.

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

close.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

p4.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

At the time, these four guys and the boss were the only remaining RN Sea Harrier pilots (Major on the left was a USMC exchange pilot). That really was a great hour.

Gary

Hi all,

These were taken at Yeovilton in March 2006, barely a fortnight before 801 NAS stood down and the Sea Harrier was withdrawn from UK service (was, and still is one of the most stupidest decisions ever made by by the UK MoD - and there's hardly a lack of competition). Not taken on a very good day I'm afraid.

Thanks for those SHAR photos. A truly majestic sight and a real shame that they were withdrawn.

Hey, since we have a Harrier thread going, I've always wondered a few things about USMC Harriers...I'm not really a Harrier guy, so these might sound like dumb questions...please humor me.

1.) Why don't USMC Harriers have the extra missle pylon between the inboard and middle pylons (like you see on the RAF Harriers with BOL rails in some of the pics in this thread)? Wouldn't it free up the outside pylon for additional ordnance? Or is that pylon restricted by weight as to what it can carry? Not that we're carrying A2A in Iraq/Afghanistan currently anyways, but I always wondered about that.

2.) What is the sensor in the fairing above the nose with the small circular window? Laser rangefinder? And if so, what's in the window in the tip of the nose of the regular AV-8B?

Very nice selection of shots! :coolio:

For those interested in tiny RAF Harriers, Revell just released a 144th scale GR Mk.7. Markings are for a black-tailed jet from Wittering (No. 20 Sqn) and for "Lucy" in Kandahar, Afghanistan!

Hey, since we have a Harrier thread going, I've always wondered a few things about USMC Harriers...I'm not really a Harrier guy, so these might sound like dumb questions...please humor me.

1.) Why don't USMC Harriers have the extra missle pylon between the inboard and middle pylons (like you see on the RAF Harriers with BOL rails in some of the pics in this thread)? Wouldn't it free up the outside pylon for additional ordnance? Or is that pylon restricted by weight as to what it can carry? Not that we're carrying A2A in Iraq/Afghanistan currently anyways, but I always wondered about that.

I was asking this question too.

• 3 months later...