Harriers - all versions

• 3 months later...
Gunpods are now back in the mix, or are those empty?

Ves :salute:

I think they are empty, they have the aerodynamic fairing on the front. Due to a long and costly cockup we dont have guns on our harriers!

Julien

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, since we have a Harrier thread going, I've always wondered a few things about USMC Harriers...I'm not really a Harrier guy, so these might sound like dumb questions...please humor me.

1.) Why don't USMC Harriers have the extra missle pylon between the inboard and middle pylons (like you see on the RAF Harriers with BOL rails in some of the pics in this thread)? Wouldn't it free up the outside pylon for additional ordnance? Or is that pylon restricted by weight as to what it can carry? Not that we're carrying A2A in Iraq/Afghanistan currently anyways, but I always wondered about that.

2.) What is the sensor in the fairing above the nose with the small circular window? Laser rangefinder? And if so, what's in the window in the tip of the nose of the regular AV-8B?

Here's a late answer for you - the box with the small circular window is the navigation FLIR.

Window in the tip of the nose on the day/night attack Harriers is called the ARBS (Angle Rate Bombing System). It houses both a laser spot tracker and a TV camera.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...