Harriers - all versions

From what I've seen on here I'm in no hurry to get one of those Trumpy Harriers (that's saying alot I'm a HUGE Harrier fan). The only option is the orginal "Day Attack" version, no current "Night Attack" or "Radar Bird" version..........yet. There is a thread in the "Jet Modeling" section. Looking through the instructions it looks like the gun pods are inaccurate, they look like the 25mm Aden pods used on the GR.1 & 3 versions.

For the price of participation I'm not too excited......I'll be waiting for a more modern and hopefully accurate version.

I think the overall shape of the pod is correct. It's just that they screwed up by assuming that both pods contained a gun (like the earlier Harriers). There is only one gun. The other pod holds the amunition (which is fed between the two pods via a covered feed)

Cheers!

John

Edited by kstater94
I think the overall shape of the pod is correct. It's just that they screwed up by assuming that both pods contained a gun (like the earlier Harriers). There is only one gun. The other pod holds the amunition (which is fed between the two pods via a covered feed)

Cheers!

John

Agreed the overal pod shape does look like the current GAU-12 pod, but the kit lacks the covered feed for the ammo. I'm sure that can be scratch built (not by me.......LOL) fairly easily with some sheet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Had some very rare visitors to Little Rock National on Tuesday, 4 VMA-223 Harriers. Was able to shoot both sections as they departed (Stone 11 and Stone 21) but the lighting for the departrue of the first section was less than optimal and so were my images :-[

I'm loving the new Harrier paint scheme.......now if there were only some decals so I could build some of my stash up in this scheme.......LOL

Stone 21 heading for runway 4L.

BuNo 165388

p306348839-4.jpg

BuNo 164140

p296623785-4.jpg

p257116154-4.jpg

p264301191-4.jpg

Edited by andyman_1970
Had some very rare visitors to Little Rock National on Tuesday, 4 VMA-223 Harriers. Was able to shoot both sections as they departed (Stone 11 and Stone 21) but the lighting for the departrue of the first section was less than optimal and so were my images :-[

I'm loving the new Harrier paint scheme.......now if there were only some decals so I could build some of my stash up in this scheme.......LOL

BuNo 165388

p306348839-4.jpg

BuNo 164140

p296623785-4.jpg

p257116154-4.jpg

p264301191-4.jpg

Nice pics. Is that topside color medium gray...or something new. Seems pretty dark. Looks good.

NICE shots Andy!

Always nice to see the visitors that pass through your neck of the woods

Cheers!

John

Nice pics. Is that topside color medium gray...or something new. Seems pretty dark. Looks good.

Thanks, I think that’s FS36118, but I could be mistaken. The scheme looks an awful lot like the scheme worn by the USAF CV-22’s.

NICE shots Andy!

Always nice to see the visitors that pass through your neck of the woods

Cheers!

John

Thanks John, always nice hearing from our bretheren in ICT.

Just a heads up to all you Harrier fans, the AV-8B is now cleared to carry the LITENING Pod on stations 2, 4, 5, and 6.

Reddog

Good to know, I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Interesting mash up of gunpods, radomes and winder rails still in the original colours.

Interesting to note how flat the bottoms of the tires are when inflation is set for land based ops instead of carrier based ops.

I thought it was interesting too, especially the radome color given the “new†nature of this scheme. Not on BuNo 165388 there is a HUGE dent in the starboard inlet cowl at about the 9:00 position if you’re looking straight at the jet, and the paint is awfully touched up, which to me says it’s worn that scheme for a while.

It was awfully cold that day which I’m sure contributed to the lack of inflation in those tires as well, BuNo 164140 nose wheel tire looks like it’s almost flat.

Gents,

Not sure if I've posted these before so I'm hoping they're new, if a little dated now. These were all taken at RNAS Yeovilton during a late media day for 801 NAS, just two weeks prior to disbandment on the FA2 and the types axing from service - I refuse to call it 'retirement' given the age and capability of the Sea Harrier FA2. At the time of the session 801 were down to five pilots (including a USMC exchange posting) and five/six jets. Weather was rather awful and it was before I had a decent lens so the quality isn't quite there.

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

There was still a couple of twin-sticks about as well.

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

The Yeovilton ski-jump. Now long gone unfortunately.

IMG_3356-1.jpg

Edited by gary1701