Harriers - all versions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a question regarding the fuselage-mounted Harrier II landing gear doors:

They seem to close again once the landing gear is deployed. My guess is that's against FOD and salt-water spray. Now, once the aircraft is powered down, they seem to be open on many RAF Harrier IIs, while they seem to remain closed on many USMC Harriers.

Why's that?

Does dropping hydraulic pressure allow them to drop (RAF birds) and can they be locked up (USMC birds)?

:deadhorse1:

Edited by ChernayaAkula
You can buy it is you want see here: http://www.everettaero.com/

Ist a non flyer Written off 24 Jun 1997 after engine exploded on take-off. There is no engine in the plane but it looked complete. I have some more detailed photos if anyone want them.

Julien

Missed your post Julien, sorry. Thanks for the info, but if I do, what would the shipping be to the States and were would I put it? :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gents,

A few more RAF Harrier pics taken at RAF Cottesmore earlier this week. In all likeliness this was probably my last visit to the fence here prior to closure, as although current plans are to close the airfield in the next year or so and move the remaining Harrier force to nearby RAF Wittering (which is pretty much impossible to photograph at), alongside the training unit I personally suspect that the axe will come down on the complete UK Harrier force in the forthcoming UK defence cuts, making the move redundant. I maybe, and indeed hope I'm wrong though. Whatever the outcome for the UK Harrier force - what little remains even now - the loss of Cottesmore will be a big loss to the enthusiast, as there isn't a more laid back and friendly base in the UK, even if on my trip up it yet again was very quiet, not opening for movements until the afternoon. The bird control unit normally pops over to the fence to give any photographer a run down of what sorties are planned, a nice touch so you know if you're wasting your time!

A two ship flight from 1 Sqn taxiing to runway 22, callsign 'Jedi 1 +2'.

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

Twin-stick T12 still showing tail markings for the former Wittering based 20® squadron, the former Harrier now renumbered 4® squadron following the disbandment of that unit as a frontline Harrier squadron earlier this year.

IMG_9922-2.jpg

Recoveries and overshoots, both conventional and STOVL.

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2906-1.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

Back track to the threshold before going back up into the circuit again. At Cottesmore you can take that shot from the fence with less than 100mm - do take ear defenders!

IMG_2886.jpg

Still haven't got a decent shot of a Navy marked Harrier, must have been on leave as I don't think any are on a boat at the moment. Hope they're of some interest, I must admit it felt quite odd there that afternoon knowing it's unlikely I'll be back.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Great pix of a great aircraft,....thanx for being our eyes in the UK

Beautiful photos, Gary ...

I love seeing the Family Model ...

It is sad what's happening to the Harrier Force in the UK ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Gregg, Bro what's happening to the entire RAF is Blasephemoius!!! Tornados, being put out to pasture, along with harriers, it seems like the US Navy (with the SuperBug), the RAF is throwing a lot into one basket with the Eurofighter, When will they ever learn.

Here are a couple from May. These are a couple of VMA-214 birds. At the time Blacksheep 03 was the last of their airframes to still have the old three tone TPS scheme.

100_3911.jpg

100_3912.jpg

100_3954.jpg

100_3955.jpg

This one was taken by my wife, this is our pre launch pow-wow, I'm the big boy on the right in the desert digi's.

100_4087.jpg

Dave Fassett

I'm still trying to understand why the British Harriers have 4 pylons per wing and the US only three. It seems the more ordy you're able to take to the fight the better off you are, unless the Brit birds have a bigger engine, but not to my knowledge the GR9 and AV-8B, B+ are the engined the same.

Gents,

Thanks for the comments. It looks like some of the other guys are more lucky than I am with photographing aircraft marked for the Navy Strike Wing - always thought that rather a grand name for what never got beyond a single small squadron in practise - maybe I'll still get lucky sometime before the axe falls. The extra pylon on the UK Harriers was quite handy, as although only AIM-9 capable it freed the other stations for other ordnance. The GR7A (now out of service) and GR9A are uprated versions of the GR7/9, having the Pegasus 107 with more power. I couldn't say whenever any of the USMC variants use that engine, or still retain the earlier 105 engine and a quick look around the web doesn't come up with any quick answers either.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still trying to understand why the British Harriers have 4 pylons per wing and the US only three. It seems the more ordy you're able to take to the fight the better off you are, unless the Brit birds have a bigger engine, but not to my knowledge the GR9 and AV-8B, B+ are the engined the same.

The RAF asked for the extra pylon to carry the AIM-9 - RAFG Harrier IIs were expected to have to fight in a MIG-(and Mil) rich environment in Central Europe, so the ability to carry some self defence alongside the regular mission weaponry was seen as desirable.

The USMC looked at the extra pylon but decided it wasn't needed as their Harriers would have air support from fixed wing aircraft operating off the big carriers, or if they needed AIM-9s could carry them on the outer pylon. There was a lso a fear that the exhaust could burn the tyre on the outrigger!