Harriers - all versions

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Harrier kills a Phantom

VMA-542 AV-8B Harrier II

1990 NAF Atsugi Air Show, Japan

atsugi-128b.jpg

This is the aircraft of VMA-542 CO LtCol Herman, call sign Mongoose. Below his name the outline of an F-4 Phantom kill.

The squadron was on a deployment from MCAS Iwakuni to NAS Cubi Point. LtCol Herman was doing DACT with USAF pilots and landed at Clark AFB. While preparing to leave and doing his cockpit checks, the Air Force ground crewman pulled his chocks. Because LtCol Herman hadnt started his engines, the plane started to roll out of control and crashed into an F-4 parked on the tarmac. The guys in CC thought it would be funny to credit his kill! He was great about it. (story courtesy of David L. Farley)

A link to the full gallery is here: AV-8B Harrier II ~ 1990 NAF Atsugi Air Show on MidwaySailor.com

Edited by Midway Sailor

Sailor, regarding your sig: Is that for the CDI to look as if he's done some dirty work?

LOL! Shhhh.... no one's supposed to know that secret!

Seriously though, there were many times we went straight from engine changes to inspections without time to shine our boots. Usually it was ok to have them blackened and not scuffed or dirty.

Edited by Midway Sailor
  • 2 years later...

Any pic from this Harrier?...

Only this one, which I found on the net many years ago. It doesn't seem to be on the net anymore. At least until now.

Eyjn4Yh.jpg

And I and others have looked hard, as it is the scheme for Revell-Germany's 1/144 Harrier.

Any pic from this Harrier?...

I took many back in 2001 of specifically this one and the others in 231 to provide TwoBobs for them to do their decals. Most of the ones I have are extreme closeups though. At the time I only had film camera though, I had scanned them back then and posted on a website but the site and the scans are long gone (on my hardrive at least).

Here's a few of them rescanned showing more overall views.

CG-01%20(1).jpg

CG-01%20(2).jpg

CG-01%20(3).jpg

CG-01%20(4).jpg

CG-01%20(5).jpg

CG-01%20(6).jpg

CG-01%20(7).jpg

CG-01%20(8).jpg

Edited by Steve Belanger
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...