Lots of 343, a former Carswell bird (and that's a nice pic of her above - what year was that?)

I think that was in March, 1988. Sitting off of the end of the runways at Carswell in the morning and a visit to the museum that used to be outside of Carswell in the afternoon.

I think that was in March, 1988. Sitting off of the end of the runways at Carswell in the morning and a visit to the museum that used to be outside of Carswell in the afternoon.

Very nice pic, and it's nice to see her in unfaded paint. She's now being displayed at the Cavanaugh Museum in Addison, and apparently is "on loan" there from Frontiers of Flight.

Bill,

Were those 105 pics taken at El Paso's old military transient ramp? used to have great times out there as a kid....Brings back good ol memories.

Jeff

I am going to answer for Bill; Those photos were taken on a (cold) December morning in 1979 at Biggs Army Air Field. The reserve unit operated out of Biggs for deployment and we got the chance to photograph the aircraft.

F-105B57-5814Biggs.jpg

F-105B57-5819Biggs2.jpg

F-105B57-5814Biggs2.jpg

F-105Bstaxi.jpg

Cliff

F-105D60-0500MASDC.jpg

Judging by the C-119 and the fence position, I gotta ask - is this at the Pate Museum of Transportation? If it is, it's the only shot from that museum I've seen where the aircraft were in decent shape - must've been right after the Thud arrived! I hear rumors that they lost all their USAF aircraft recently because of the sad shape they were in.

How 'bout some brand new F-105Bs? (USAF) <_<

F-105B57-5778.jpg

F-105B57-5782large.jpg

F-105B57-5776.jpg

A not-quite-so-new 335th TFS F-105D. (USAF)

F-105D61-0085335TFS_1.jpg

And an F-105D departing Hamilton AFB in 1964. It has green stripes left over from some kind of war game. (Ben A Brown photo)

Thud_takeoffHamiltonAFB1964.jpg

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Judging by the C-119 and the fence position, I gotta ask - is this at the Pate Museum of Transportation? If it is, it's the only shot from that museum I've seen where the aircraft were in decent shape - must've been right after the Thud arrived! I hear rumors that they lost all their USAF aircraft recently because of the sad shape they were in.

Yes, that is the one at the Pate Museum. My understanding also is that all of the aircraft have departed, even the F8U-1. Bill should be able to hgelp with the disposition of the F-4 and the Thud.

Yes, that is the one at the Pate Museum. My understanding also is that all of the aircraft have departed, even the F8U-1. Bill should be able to hgelp with the disposition of the F-4 and the Thud.

The T-33, F-105D and F-4D went to Tyler.

The YF-8C is at Vought Grand Prairie

C-47 went to Lubbock

HH-43 to Goodfellow AFB

RF-84, F-86H, F9F8 unkn

CF-101 and C-119 are still down there.

b

F-105D59-1822MASDC1.jpg

This is the famed "Polish Glider" from the 44th TFS. She's now on display in England and is one of seven (0f 20) 44th TFS birds on display in museums around the world.

Here's 61-0176 at Davis Monthan. She's a bona-fide MiG killer, having gunned down a MiG-17.

IMG_0639.jpg

This is 61-0159 up at Maxwell. I've had the good fortune to see both of these birds within the past six months, along with five other Thuds. Man, I love this airplane!

PB090014.jpg

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic photos of the Thud!

How about photos of F-105Ds in Vietnam carrying AIM-9Bs and ALQ-87 ECM pod (not sure if I got this right) on Stations 1 and 5? Been trying to look for photo references on the internet with F-105Ds carrying the AIM-9s and the ECM pod, but I've not been very successful....

Ben

Back where she came from - Republic Airport, where the Republic Aviation built the F-105.

98769129-L.jpg

101050160-L.jpg

Fantastic! But she's got the wrong tail code! (well, she did serve with that squadron too, so not REALLY wrong) She's one of seven (of 20) birds that flew with the 44th TFS in 1970 that are currently displayed in museums around the world (see my previous post). I'll have to make a stop by Republic the next time I'm up on the Island.

Jon