Now safe at KFTW Fort Worth Veterans Memorial Air Park is F-105D 60-5385

Not beautiful to look at presently, but saved from the scrapper.

She will undergo a slow restoration as funds permit. Homepage

If anyone has a copy of 1F-105B-3 or 1F-105D-3 Structural Repair Manual that I could reproduce

please drop me a pm or email. Thanks!

F-105D_60-5385_20080307a.jpg

F-105D_60-5385_20080307b.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Edited by Phantomologist
The "vent" that you are referring to is the door on top of the drag chute compartment.

Darwin

Yes it is....and if you're a lightweight you're gonna play hell sometimes trying to close that door after replacing the drag chute.

Great shots Bill! EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the tail number listing!

739 "Queen of the Fleet" is now at the Confederate Air Force Museum in Midland, TX. 050, at the VA ANG has since been repainted in inaccurate colors and is up on a pole. I shot several photos of it back in January.

P5140113.jpg

176 is on display at Maxwell AFB

PB090014-1.jpg

and 437 is at the Pima Air & Space Museum

RafeThud1.jpg

I may have posted this one before, but this is 0159 at Davis Monthan. She's a bona-fide MiG killer

IMG_0640.jpg

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Does anyone know the whereabouts of 759? I've heard rumblings, but nothing concrete. That's the last unclaimed 44th TFS bird that I've been looking for. I'd heard rumors that she was possibly going to be restored to flyable condition, but I don't know how true that is.

Anyone? Anyone?

Jon

Thanks, it wasn't always easy going out and getting these during missions. You had to make sure you didn't get too cose to the running aircraft and vehicles. When I find them I'll post the ones where I had a couple thuds come within 50-100 feet of me during takeoff. When I tried to move away, the wingman moved in the same direction forcing the other ship to head my way too.

Anyone have any shots of F-105G's "Hanoi Hustler" (Serial #63320)...especially with the sharks mouth on the nose...and/or "Mutley The Flying Dog" (serial #63291)? I would very much love to see some and appreciate it!

Thanks much all!

Cheers!

Don

so do you have any of sinister vampire Jon?

no one does. not even google :-(

I wish. Nothing but the pics that have been published in Squadron's F-105 special. I do have some shots of other 44th birds that a certain ARC member gave me, but I can't post them.

Don, The first pic that Bob (Ikar) posted in that series is "Muttley the Flying Dog" After the artwork was removed, circa 1973.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
What is the story with the larger, wider spine on this bird? What kind of modification was it?

That is the Thunderstick II avionics modification. It provided enhanced visual and blind bombing capability to the aircraft and better more precise navigation for the F-105. There were only 30 F-105D's that were modified and none saw combat over SE Asia. They served with the 23rd TFW at McConnell AFB and were later sent to the 457th TFS at Carswell JRB here in Ft. Worth TX.

Dave Fassett