scan0036-1.jpg

Too bad the artwork had to have been removed from "Mutley the Flying Dog" :cheers: . However, here's a question, many pictures of THUDS show a tarp covering the nose section (on 'D's', 'F's', and 'G's'), what is the purpose of this tarp? Was it to protect sensitive equipment in this area from the sun or something?

Cheers!

Don

However, here's a question, many pictures of THUDS show a tarp covering the nose section (on 'D's', 'F's', and 'G's'), what is the purpose of this tarp? Was it to protect sensitive equipment in this area from the sun or something? Don

It is mostly an attempt to keep moisture out of the electronics. That was BIG problem with the THUD throughout it's lifetime.

Darwin

When I returned to SEA in 1974 the only aircraft with sharkmouths were a couple A-7Ds anf the F-4es of the 34th TFS. Eventually even these were removed, but not easily. I noticed while on one of my flight line photo excursions that while the mouths were being removed from the fuselage they were showing up in other areas of the aircraft. The F-4 would have them on the front of the AIM 9 rails and the F-111 started using them on the forward ECM pods. They would disapear and show up again on the same aircraftevery so often.

What was it that made the Thuds hydraulic system so bad if battle damage was taken? I think it was Jack Broughton that once stated that a pilot could lose two of the three systems and be in serious trouble before he knew it and then more then likely lose the aircraft? Were they located too close together so that any damage to one hydraulic system would probably damage the other two? I've always been curious about this.

Btw...THUDS ROCK and this is a great thread!

Cheers!

Don

Thanks, it wasn't always easy going out and getting these during missions. You had to make sure you didn't get too cose to the running aircraft and vehicles. When I find them I'll post the ones where I had a couple thuds come within 50-100 feet of me during takeoff. When I tried to move away, the wingman moved in the same direction forcing the other ship to head my way too.

Wow, looking forward to seeing them!

What was it that made the Thuds hydraulic system so bad if battle damage was taken? Don

The F-105 was originally built with dual, redundant hydraulic systems, but the lines for both of them ran side by side down the center of the lower fuselage. One hit from AAA anywhere in the belly would disable both systems and then the stab would go to full nose down. Not a particularly good thing to happen at high speed and low altitude. They later added a third utility system that ran along the top of the fuselage, (covered by the added, small turtle deck that ran from the canopy to the fin), that would give some semblence of pitch control long enough to exit the target area. It was still usually necessary to pull the yellow and black handles, but at least the pilot had a little bit of choice in the where and when.

Darwin

• 1 month later...

The kids and I cleaned out the garage today as it's Spring cleanup weekend here in Abilene and I started digging through some of my old stuff. I found an old briefcase from my Civil Air Patrol days (late 70's) and found these photos. Back then you could write letters (yea, hand written, lick a stamp, LETTERS!) to units and if you asked nice enough they would send you photos, fact sheets and maybe a patch! I got these pics back then.

The first two are 8x10's which are copies of original USAF photos. The bottom Weasel pic was sent to me from the 116th TFW, GA ANG.

Mark

Thud_59-1750.jpg

Thuds_M-48.jpg

Thud-WW.jpg

Edited by Mark O. Williams