Awesome Pics everybody!

Specially yours P-38 Guy, they look so sharp. ;)

Hmm i was wondering if any of you had pics of this P-51D Called ''Daddy's Girl''?

It looks something like this:

mygirlsn4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Here are some!

Please excuse the captions in this one. Someone was asking about the markings. If you look closely, the insignia were masked for repainting.

daddys_girl_01first2weeksofJanuary4.jpg

daddys_girl_02-1.jpg

Daddy's Girl is the second P-51 in this photo. This was taken post VE-Day. The name has been removed, as Wetmore had already gone home and his Mustang was assigned to somebody else.

greennoses.jpg

The man himself! Capt Ray S. Wetmore, 370th FS, 359th FG. At VE Day he was the highest scoring ace in the 8th Air Force left flying (as opposed to having rotated home, or made KIA or POW). His score was 21.25 aerial and 2.333 ground victories. Of his aerial victories, 9 were confirmed while in "Daddy's Girl" between 2 November 1944 and 14 January 1945. He flew two tours, 142 missions, 563 combat hours. While CO of the 59th FIS, he crashed and died in an F-86A at Otis AFB on 14 February 1951.

359-01.jpg

wetmore.jpg

scan0069-1.jpg

This is P-51B 43-6506, HO-Y, 487th FS, 352nd FG. The pilot was Major John R. "Muscles" Bennett, whose trademark was the sharkmout painted on all his P-51's. The photo would have been taken in June or July 1944. It was later transferred to the 555th Fighter Training Squadron, 496th FTG at Atcham, England. Decals for color photos for this A/C are included in the EagleCal George Preddy set.

More photos:

Before the blue nose was added

P-51B-5436506-HO-YMajJohnRBennet-1.jpg

After blue nose:

P-51B-5436506-HO-YMajJohnRBennett48.jpg

I also found and re-edited clips from an old 352nd FG home movie online. This aircraft is seen at the end:

Edited by latormentabritanica
scan0070-1.jpg

The full serial code on this P-51D is uknown, so far just 44-72###. This was the last of four P-51D's named "Lil' Evey" assigned to Capt Thomas W. Colby, 486thFS, 352ndFG. The first was destroyed in a landing accident, and the second and third were brought down with both pilots KIA. This photo was probably taken at Bodney in April or May 1945.

scan0071.jpg

This one is a doosy to identify. It's obviously a P-51B or C from the 352nd FG, plus the caption says it was September 1944. It's a gorgeous photo, but the serial number, squadron code, and aircraft letter are all obscured. The name is too hard to read. I tried to zoom in and darken and sharpen to photo in order to read it, but I still couldn't tell. The name is "Little M-----". The records I have access to do not show any P-51B or C in the 352nd FG having been named named "Little" followed by another word beginning with "M". However, P-51D 44-13929 was named "Little Marjie". It was flown by Capt Ernest O Bostrom of the 486th FS, but there are no records of him having another P-51 assigned to him. However, my references show bostrom as having been with the squadron well before the P-51D's were assigned to the group. I am taking a guess by saying that this photograph is of an earlier P-51 named "Little Marjie" by Bostrom, but for some reason it was never recorded.

Mike, any more info?

You were on the way to Ft. Rucker and saw the aircraft or the you saw the aircraft while IT was on its way to Ft. Rucker?

I saw it at Edwards, and I think there was a P-51 and a Cavalier along with at least one T-28 used for chase while I was on a visit there.. I seem to recall seeing the chase planes, along with one AH-56 in the Army hangar there when I worked there, early '70s, the Mustangs and the T-28s were still being used but the AH-56 was not in flying condition sitting on the hangar floor over to one side. At times I think we requested the T-28s and Mustangs for chase on some Air Force programs due to their speed range. Long time ago.

I was told that only the "officer" Army test pilots got to fly the Mustangs but the Warrants and the officers flew the T-28s and most of the test missions were flown by the Warrants? Might have just been BS but that would mean real RHIP eh? To fly a Mustang at government expense in the '70s and not into war, what a deal!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

John T. Baugh's P-51D used to make it to all the Smryna, TN Airshows . I must have Taken a hundred pics of her over the years. I think he sold it and someone else is flying her around the country. Don M.

MissCoranado3.jpg

MissCoranado4.jpg

MissCoranado2.jpg

MissCoranado1.jpg