My dad was based at Hamilton AFB between 1961 and '64. Here's the flightline. (Ben A Brown photo)

HamiltonAFBFlightlineBenABrown.jpg

I think this was taken the same day as the Thunderbirds F-105B accident at Hamilton in 1964, but I'm not sure. I think all of the F-101s had been painted by then. (Ben A Brown photo)

HamiltonAFBF-101BBenABrown.jpg

F-101B landing at Hamilton AFB, 1964. (Ben A Brown photo)

F-101Bslidescan.jpg

Ben

• 2 months later...

I was out taking shots near the tower when a Marine F-4 crew was sitting on top of their aircraft watching the RFs take off. It looked liked the marines were having a laugh or two at them when a C-130 moved past them to the end of the runway and started its takeoff roll. As soon as it got even with them the Pilot pulled a max takeoff and pulled into about a 60 degree climb off the runway. You could see the marines just stand and stare at it.

The 27th TFW had F-101As and F-101Cs. Its fourth squadron, the 481st TFS is reported to have had green tails with presumably white stars. Does anyone know of or have a picture of 481st TFS aircraft? Does anyone have a serial number listing of aircraft that may have been assigned to that unit? When the 27th TFW transferred its aircraft and some personnel to the 81st TFW at Woodbridge in England, the 81st had only three squadrons. I don't think that any green tail F-101s were seen in England.

I would love to see Revell do an F-101C and an RF-101C. First in 1/48th, and after they work the bugs out, then redo it in the one true scale, 1/72.

Just kidding.

Best wishes,

Grant

f-101001-1.jpg

f-101-1.jpg

Not quite private hands, taken at Buckley ANG Base in Colorado in the late 70's

I believe that Voodoo now resides at the Combat Air Museum in Topeka where I volunteer. Because of the probe, we didn't have an IR sensor. We solved it by finding a bowling ball that fit and painted it gloss black. We had an instant IR sensor!

• 4 weeks later...