• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

409 Squadron, CFB Comox, Vancouver Island, BC. The first group pic I took myself in 1980 at Grant County Airport, Moses Lake, WA. They were down there for an airshow. The b/w pic I got from the 409 SQ after i wrote a letter asking for a pic and a patch. I got both in the mail a couple weeks later!!

Mark

409SQ_KMWH80.jpg

409SQ_101010.jpg

This is my favorite Voodoo, the old Lark One.

voodoo-larkone.jpg

This special scheme was from the retirement of the type in the Canadian Air Force, 1984:

"...in 1984, each squadron painted a special "'show" aircraft to commemorate the impending retirement of the type, incorporating that Squadrons symbol.

409 Squadron produced "Hawk One Canada,"

416 Squadron produced "Lynx One Canada," and

425 Squadron produced "Lark One Canada/Alouette Un Canada.

409 and 425 Squadrons stood down at the end of June 1984. The F-101's of 416 Squadron remained in service until the end of December 1984 as the world’s last front-line Voodoo's. With the stand down, the last nuclear weapons in Canada were returned to the United States." -- wikepedia

Here she was at the end of the line, awaiting the torch - forlorn, but not forgotten:

0878764.jpg

Here's a few pics of the F-101B that is on display at the old K.I. Sawyer AFB grounds. These are a few years old, seeing the Voodoo is now elsewhere on the grounds (an F-106 now resides in that spot).Cheers,

Alby

As of at least last November I know the F-101B is being restored by the KI Sawyer museum volunteers. Here's a Webshots page with some pics...

http://news.webshots.com/album/561589467CrHOhK

Mark

On Wednesday, I was up at Fort Indiantown Gap. Of course I drove by the AAF. Parked on an apron, away from the flightline sat a very forlorn Happy Holigans F-101B. This Voodoo still had the sling load cables still attached so it must have arrived since my last visit. Anyone know the story behind this jet? I had my camera but I would have had to shoot through the fence, in the direction of the flightline and I understand Pennsylvania asphalt is not very tasty.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son