Here is a picture of a F-101B at Hill AFB Aerospace Museum.

2446247565_fd472d4cd6_b.jpg

RF-101A nose section- acquired from NM and I worked on trying to refurbish this aircraft before I had to PCS

2447072824_24d6cb6ae3_o.jpg

Show all your bravery to kill communists

2446252479_51fc6560dc_o.jpg

This plane costs $1604963 US dollars. It is hard to acquire it please carefully use and maintain it

2447077750_d24264b1ce_o.jpg

While sanding away and some of the paint I came across two different versions of the star and bar sandwiching the 12 pointed star. Voodoos were delivered to Taiwan under Project Boom-Town. The aircraft, flown by CNAF pilots, were supposedly doing recon over international waters off the coastline of the Chinese mainland, but, in fact, entered into into the Chinese airspace and a few were shot down.

Edited by RockyController

Cool pics Rocky and thanks for the translation! That is really cool. Maybe we should put a similar stencil on our planes.

Here's the Voodo on display at Little Rock a few weeks before it was repainted. No, I don't have a current photo but being a 130 guy I end up there now and again and will try to get one.

Mark

100_3639.jpg

On Wednesday, I was up at Fort Indiantown Gap. Of course I drove by the AAF. Parked on an apron, away from the flightline sat a very forlorn Happy Holigans F-101B. This Voodoo still had the sling load cables still attached so it must have arrived since my last visit. Anyone know the story behind this jet? I had my camera but I would have had to shoot through the fence, in the direction of the flightline and I understand Pennsylvania asphalt is not very tasty.

Shoulda let me know you were at the Gap! I'm usually up there on Thursdays, but could have coordinated something and possibly gotten you out to see her up close. 58-0328 arrived back around last December. I'm working a few things to get her into a museum (and possibly into our collection here at NGEF, although I have nowhere to put her right now). The Chinook guys brought her in as a sling load. She's been in that spot ever since. I'd like to get some more history on her!

You could have shot some pics of her, I take my camera every chance I get. No one's bothered me yet, even when I'm not in uniform.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
As deterrents, Voodoos were quite good. Thank goodness we didn't actually require them as a weapons platform because I think they would have failed miserably. They sure look purdy, though.

I beg to differ, all they had to do was launch their nukes and the lethality of those weapons would have taken care of the rest. Especially the air-to-air stuff.

Pete,

No. The early Bs were in natural metal. They also lacked an IR sensor. Believe there were some pictures of them earlier in the posts. Eagle Strike has some decal sheet for those models.

I've seen pictures of camoflague Bs, but they were maintenance trainers.

So for an American B model, you can chose between gray...or gray.

Is that what I'm seeing here?

Pete

I believe (as others have said) that there were some photos of NM F-101Bs posted several pages back. Here is a scan of an old postcard showing a silver 101.

F-101B56-0269Scan-080506-0001.jpg

F-101 Voodoo in detail & scale should be fairly easy to locate. I also have a Warpaint softcover book but I don't know that it would be particularly good for building a Voodoo, mainly for markings. My Voodoo references are pretty thin. I'm sure Airpower/Wings has done a few articles but I have no ready index.

Andy,

I have several books and magazines on the Voodoo. The D&S should be pretty good. If you want a picture of a certain a/c, let me know. I used the Expert Choice on one of my Voodoos. They look good.

As for armament, probably depends on what era the bird was used. They probably carried Genies more often considering the reputation of the AIM-4s.

What would you guys recommend for book references?

Andy,

From a modelers perspective (i.e. detail shots) as has been mentioned the Detail and Scale books would be your best choice. There are actually two separate D&S titles on the Voodoo, No. 2 published in 1980 with 36 pages and No. 21 published in 1986 with 72 pages. They cover all versions - singles and duals = but obviously the second printing has more photos. The first book has a blue cover, the second is a rusty orange. Both should be fairly easy to come by either on E-bay or from second hand book sellers. Detail and Scale also did a set of 1/48th plans.

My second choice for a reference is probably pretty hard to find, it's IPMS Canada's Random Thoughts Volume 16, Number 4. It was a chapter special from IPMS Champlain dealing solely with the CF-101B, I believe it was published in 1983 or 1984. It's my second choice as far as detail references go. Since U.S. and Canadian Voodoos were so similar detail wise it would be applicable to a USAF or ANG Voodoo, too. I'm sure it's not easy to find but it is well worth seeking out.

Aerofax Minigraph #5 would be my third choice (again from a detailing perspectiv), this title covers only the F-101B/F (no single seaters.) Not sure how hard it is to find a copy but it's a good overall book giving a nice mix of overall shots (i.e. colours and markings) and detail shots.

Next is the Sabre Model Supplies Canadian Profile No.2 on the CF-101. Copying the format of the Squadron In Action series it's a great photo history of the Voodoo in Canadian service but is short on detail shots compared to the D&S and Aerofax titles. Again, with the minor differences between the U.S. and Canadian 101's it may be of use. They pop up on E-bay frequently.

Next we have the Squadron Modern Military Aircraft Voodoo and Warpaint #47 F-101 Voodoo. Both cover all variants of the One-Oh-Wonder and focus more on the history and colour schemes. The one stand out for me on the Warpaint title is that it has the only photo I've ever seen publishing of the rear cockpit of the EF-101 Electric Jet, a "one off" ECM trainer used by the CAF.

Last, and certainly not least is Voodoo Warriors published by Pen and Sword out of the U.K. It's written by an RAF pilot who did an exchange tour on RF-101's and is a great book about the history of all versions of the Voodoo and all it's users, including Taiwan. Lot's of "there I was upside down over Berlin on one engine" type of tales. Not really any detail photos but lots of pictures, most of which are not seen in the other books. Overall, a great read.

As mentioned there are lots of magazines with Voodoo articles, including many issues of Airpower and Air Combat but my magazines are in storage at the moment so I don't have access to them.

Hope that's of some use.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton
  • 9 months later...

F-101B, 56-0241 on the Medina Annex at Lackland AFB. I have no clue what the 135 is in the background but there were workers out there assembling her when I stopped by. It's all behind a fence so I couldn't get in there for details.

Mark

100_1937.jpg

The 135 in the background is KC-135E 57-2589. Probably the best looking 135 there ever was and so worthy of being modeled some day. Formerly the personal transport of SAC CinC, Pacific AF CinC, and Air Force Chief of Staff. Known as Trout 89 and call sign Casey01. Tons of photos on Airliners.net and definitely worth the search. Glad it is being preserved.

Rick L.

• 1 year later...

To go along with the F-105B photos I just posted over in the Thud thread, here's F-101B 59-0423 which is keeping the Thud company currently. She's in a pretty sad state but at least she's still with us. As you can see, she too is a former BDR trainer.

When I build my 1/48 Monogram Voodoo, I've going to mark it as this bird. I've already got a set of the nice Eagle Strike NY ANG markings so a minor change to the tail numer and I'm all set.

Does anyone have any photos of 59-0423 during her operational career? Please post them if you do.

-Derek

DSC02448.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

DSC02457.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

DSC02449.jpg

Here's the Voodo on display at Little Rock a few weeks before it was repainted. No, I don't have a current photo but being a 130 guy I end up there now and again and will try to get one.

100_3639.jpg

Hmmm? Over two years ago, I think I promised to post some current photos of the Voodoo at LRAFB. Is now okay? These were taken in March. I want to get some now while I'm here again with the leaves on the trees, and the grass nice and green, but the weather is just blah right now. I'l try before I leave if the weather cooperates.

Mark

100_0239.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0236.jpg

100_0234.jpg

100_0237.jpg