RF-4E '3565' from Leck AB during Cambrai's '86 Tigerme

Hi,

So today I started my RF-4E. The goal is to have it glued up before new year.

I'm going to make some modifications like seamless intakes and drooped slats.

First thing I did was cutting out the inner slats, realising that the outer slats were not that easy to do... Darn... Then I got this idea that the F-4F also has the 'hard' outer wing panels. I removed the slat from the original outer wings and made the slats from the extra wings from the F-4F kit. Still need to do some sanding on the parts but they are coming allong nicely.

The intakes are other s***. I was thinking of using some milliput and shape the intakes from front to back. This means that the front fuselage is going to be glued to the aft parts, the splitterplates allready in place. The intakes glued on and then modelling it nicely up to the engine front.

Ahum...

So more to the point, I glued the splitterplates to the front and the intakes to the aft fuselage. Now I have to do some scribing because of lost detail, before starting to glue everything together. It's the way the intakes are molded that caused that...

I also realised that the aft fuselage is blocking acces to the intakes. So I was thinking about how to solve that. Cutting off the back of each side and glue it back when the works are finnished was something that crossed my mind and for now it is the only sollution... you all probably look like this now: :cheers: And I'll be looking like this afterwards :D So I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle that.

That's it. Photo's are due in the next couple of days

edit: Here's how it lookes like. Thought I post the link here also since I posted it in the entries topic

Edited by Fiddler

Hi,

Came to the conclusion that seamless intakes all the way is rather stupid since you only can see like 1/2 of it. But I'm going to do the visible part of it seamless in place :D I got the milliput on the intakes and did some sanding works. Mainly on its right intake so the sanding is now in finishing stage, I have to put some more filler here and there but I guess that will work out rather ok. I got a cote of 'primer' (colortest coat) on the intake and the result is that some flaws got visible now. The paint was to yellow by the way :D I used a mix of 3-2 of humbrol 34 white with hu 74. I guess it should be 4-1 or even 5-1 to get the ivory color which intakes get when they get older. maybe using even a darker paint in the back to give more depth.

The left intake is further from being finnished so that requires quite some amount of filling and sanding. If this continues like it does now, they will be ready in about a good week.

I also sanded the end of the splitterplates to give the look that the intake ducting is getting oval and also going inwards. So far so good.

Still no pics but I'll get you updated when there's some progress in cockpit parts and completed intakes etc...

Greetings!

Edited by Fiddler
  • 2 months later...

So, It didn't continue like I hoped it did and now I'm still working on the correct shape of my intakes... or working on them again is better...

I was getting annoyed by the fact that I never seem to get nice intakes and they are always oval in shape... so That's where I thought well lets make a template of the engine front plate, having the engines cut out and leaving a hole which I can use to sand the right shape... So I cutted out a piece of thick plasticard, scribed a nice circle and started dremeling and sanding my way through the plastic to get an oval instead... back to the start.

Now it has taken another shape, This time as a paper template which is to be glued to the plasticard and then I'll sand all the red away as that's the color I used for the 'to be removed parts'.

Here's the template so you can see what I mean with all my strange talking above.

Revell-F-4-intake-mal.jpg

It's in 72nd scale drawn from measurements of the real part and the dimensions are on the spot. It should be 31 mm wide and 22,7 high. For the white parts that is, there should be 2 mm added with the red border around it

Now... I really don't know if this template thought would work but I guess it would help a bit though...

To be continued (and hopefully not with a cursing session :thumbsup:)

Hmm, I hoped the picture wasn't that big... But it's on scale anyway :cheers:

Edited by Fiddler