C-130s, the amazing HERK!

Nice...It's from the 463rd TAW at Dyess AFB,Tx. If it's from 1974 then it's probably an E model. Dyess was the first wing to get the H model and they were all 1974 tail numbers so they were still awhile to delivery. I always thought the South East Asia paint looked good on the herk.

Nice...It's from the 463rd TAW at Dyess AFB,Tx. If it's from 1974 then it's probably an E model. Dyess was the first wing to get the H model and they were all 1974 tail numbers so they were still awhile to delivery. I always thought the South East Asia paint looked good on the herk.

When Forbes AFB closed, I had a chance to follow the C-130s to either Dyess or Little Rock, but no, I decided after just six months that I'd had enough of Camloc fasteners, doppler radome nutplates and prop spinner fiber glass repairs. Those of us who didn't go to Dyess or Little Rock were told we were going to HOmestead AFB, Florida. We all went to HOlloman AFB, New Mexico. South, yes - similar, no!

When Forbes AFB closed, I had a chance to follow the C-130s to either Dyess or Little Rock, but no, I decided after just six months that I'd had enough of Camloc fasteners, doppler radome nutplates and prop spinner fiber glass repairs. Those of us who didn't go to Dyess or Little Rock were told we were going to HOmestead AFB, Florida. We all went to HOlloman AFB, New Mexico. South, yes - similar, no!

Nice...had a similar deal happen to me. I had a C-130 assignment to Elmendorf AFB, AK...I was a C-5 loadmaster at Travis at the time. I send my stuff to Alaska and come here to Albuquerque on leave on my way to Little Rock to Herk school. While on leave here my 1st Sgt calls and says my assignment to Elmendorf has been cancelled and to come back to Travis. While here I'd bought a 4WD truck...so I go back to Travis and about a month later got an assignment to Altus AFB,OK to the C-5 school. Finally got my herk assignment several years later to Kadena and the MC-130. I do believe the field elevation at HOlloman is 10 feet from hell. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Just a couple of local SOG birds on the circuit at Mildenhall late yesterday afternoon. '135 is in it's own thread.

IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Derelict C-130 at Lima, Peru - taken through the plane window....

(now that is some pre-shading !! :) :rofl: )

peru_14.jpg

Another one.....

peru_17.jpg

A couple of Algerian AF C-130H-30 at Moscow's Domodedovo airport.....

day_01_006.jpg

day_01_007.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Been digging through my pics tonight, and found this one I took in Haiti during the height of the initial relief efforts. January 19th, 2010 to be specific. I like this one as I was able to catch the props in motion. I used my newly acquired C a n o n EOS T1i, but really didn't know what I was doing! I'm reminded of that old Lee Trevino commercial when he was selling golf balls. Something to the effect that if you want to be a good shot, you have to hit a lot of golf balls. (I think I remember he said "Hit 3,000 balls a day...") I guess the same is true is about photography. Take a whole lot of shots! Of course, if you are taking them all wrong, the number doesn't matter. You better learn what you are doing! Then again I have to consider the "blind squirrel" rule. You remember that one. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile?

In any event, please enjoy!

Mark

IMG_1088-1.jpg

Edited by F106A

Two Algerian Air Force C-130's yesterday at Eindhoven AB in The Netherlands, RNLAF was happy to accommodate us at the base for some shooting.

28jan11_002.jpg

28jan11_003.jpg

28jan11_009.jpg

4 Only one made outside the fences of the base.

28jan11_037.jpg

5 New kid on the block for the RNLAF.

28jan11_028.jpg

Edited by Mad Viper
  • 2 months later...

Gents,

A couple of C-130 movements at Mildenhall over the Easter weekend. Turkish C-130 marked for the Turkish Stars team arriving on saturday morning, and a Davis-Monthan EC-130 departing for home that afternoon.

5646720082_de988c7e1b_o.jpg

5646720086_b313c6fe7c_o.jpg

Nearly forgot, a Mildenhall SOG aircraft landing one evening during the week.

5644504064_48a48dd37c_o.jpg

Gary

Two Algerian Air Force C-130's yesterday at Eindhoven AB in The Netherlands, RNLAF was happy to accommodate us at the base for some shooting.

28jan11_037.jpg

What's that on the rear fuselage side, a Soviet chaff/flare launcher?

Larry

• 5 weeks later...