Ian Gleed's hurricane

Just found a pic of a 1/48 scale Hurricane Mk.1 in the markings of Ian Gleed's 87 SQDN. machine "LK-A" which shows the a/c as having a pale blue nose and spinner. Now, I was always under the impression that the nose was red, as depicted in many references, so I would be interested to know whether some new info has come to light, or has someone made a slight "boo boo" ?

I ask because I'm considering doing the Trumpeter 1/24 scale kit, possibly as this machine. so would be grateful for any feedback, please.

:D

if by pic you mean profile, there is this one from wings palette. According to that site, the source of the profile is 'Markings and painting of RAF aircraft during 1930-1945', Aviacollection No.6, 2005. Maybe looking to that source might shed some light on the discrepancy?

9_102.jpg

Just found a pic of a 1/48 scale Hurricane Mk.1 in the markings of Ian Gleed's 87 SQDN. machine "LK-A" which shows the a/c as having a pale blue nose and spinner. Now, I was always under the impression that the nose was red, as depicted in many references, so I would be interested to know whether some new info has come to light, or has someone made a slight "boo boo" ?

I ask because I'm considering doing the Trumpeter 1/24 scale kit, possibly as this machine. so would be grateful for any feedback, please.

:woot.gif:

It depends on the time frame as well. Gleed is normally associated with P2798 and I have seen both red and blue depicted on the Dark Earth/DarkGeen/Sky camouflaged aircrafted and on the overall Night aircraft. Scale Aircraft Modellings Combat Colours No2 has a profile showing the Night scheme with a Roundel blue spinner, cowling front and fin stripes, The Hasegawa kit depicts these as red. A good side view picture in the Combat Colours book shows that the colour could indeed be blue judging by the similarity to the trailing blue portion of the fin flash and the fin stipes which are in very close proximity. An earlier photo of P2798 in the same book taken when Gleed was a Flight Lieutenant show the aircraft in standard markings with 'possibly' a coloured spinner, which Osprey in the Hurricane Aces 1939-40 book shows as Red with his Figaro the Cat emblem on the Starboard side.

So I guess the answer is that either is possible or both depending on time frame. My own view is that Gleed, who was a flamboyant character would have wanted his aircraft to stand out and it is very likely his grpund crew used either Roundel blue or red as paint stocks would have been to hand, They may even have been the pre-war equivilants.

Hope this is of some use.

It depends on the time frame as well. Gleed is normally associated with P2798 and I have seen both red and blue depicted on the Dark Earth/DarkGeen/Sky camouflaged aircrafted and on the overall Night aircraft. Scale Aircraft Modellings Combat Colours No2 has a profile showing the Night scheme with a Roundel blue spinner, cowling front and fin stripes, The Hasegawa kit depicts these as red. A good side view picture in the Combat Colours book shows that the colour could indeed be blue judging by the similarity to the trailing blue portion of the fin flash and the fin stipes which are in very close proximity. An earlier photo of P2798 in the same book taken when Gleed was a Flight Lieutenant show the aircraft in standard markings with 'possibly' a coloured spinner, which Osprey in the Hurricane Aces 1939-40 book shows as Red with his Figaro the Cat emblem on the Starboard side.

So I guess the answer is that either is possible or both depending on time frame. My own view is that Gleed, who was a flamboyant character would have wanted his aircraft to stand out and it is very likely his grpund crew used either Roundel blue or red as paint stocks would have been to hand, They may even have been the pre-war equivilants.

Hope this is of some use.

Thanks for the info, Silver Fox . . .It just goes to show the difficulties inherent in colour interpretation of old B and W photos . . .Perhaps I'll choose a different scheme !

:D

Thanks for the info, Silver Fox . . .It just goes to show the difficulties inherent in colour interpretation of old B and W photos . . .Perhaps I'll choose a different scheme !

:doh:

No problem Hooter, I actually sat in the MkXII Hurricane at the Old Flying Machine Companies base at Breighton, in North Yorkshire many years ago when it was painted as Gleeds machine. It was finished in Night with the Red trim.

Sadly both plane and pilot perished earlier this year at Shorham. RIP :whistle: