Any and all Cobra variants. If able, please identify what variant and time frame or any other possible info for references ya have on the Snake in the photo! <_<

766.jpg

AH-1F (766) of the Sky Soldiers U.S. Army Demo Team. Nov '07, These particular snakes no longer slither through the brush looking for their next meal, but their still serving as show machines around the U.S.!

Yooooou dirty rat!

LOL.... Ok, gotta come up with some good ones.

PICT0087.jpg

The one that started it all, N209J. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the keys, otherwise I'd have a shot of me in the cockpit too.

IMG_0080.jpg

11th ACR, Bien Hoa, RVN, April 1969

9thavn.jpg

B Company, 9th Aviation Battalion, RVN 1969.

experimentalpaint1974.jpg

Camouflage AH-1G, Ft. Hood, 1977

IranianCobra.jpg

Iranian Panha 1021

AH-1F (is it an F?) of the Red Bulls. Pics taken at the 2006 ILA in Berlin.

ILA2006136.jpg

ILA2006139.jpg

ILA2006137.jpg

That grey patch reads "Snake Shooters HML/A-365". Google didn't find anything, but I'm not surprised as I don't think the Marines ever flew this mark of the Cobra, although HMLA would denote an USMC unit, wouldn't it?

ILA2006138.jpg

ILA2006140.jpg

Looks like -365 zapped it. That is an AH-1F (you can tell by the Laser Spot Tracker on the front of the doghouse, the ADS boom coming off the right side of the cockpit, and the big wubba IR suppressor exhaust)

I'm surprised that a civilian AH-1F is still running with a full FLIR turret and the M197 gun!

Jon

Oh yeah!! :thumbsup:

This is a SUPER-COOL thread.

I really like the Cobra, in fact, it's possibly the only 'copter I've ever been interested in... :blink:

It's a shame they don't get over to the U.K.

I'd love to see one in person.

Keep the pics comin' fellas :yahoo:

:o

I just had a thought, and I hope those of you in the know can chime in on this: Looking at the gun and the new FLIR ball installation, does the muzzle blast mess up your FLIR picture when it fires?

With the gun extending well past the nose, I'd think this might be an issue. Our sensors are mounted well forward of the gun so there's no issue there other than vibration.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jon

Ok here are more snakes, me and Rich Herron chopperpilot71 are pretty lucky to get to work on 2 AH-1 cobras that are flyable.The two cobras fly in the Army demo team Sky Soldiers.

I took these pics at the Blue Angels Homecoming show at NAS Pensacola last year.

PICT0014-1.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

41.jpg

84.jpg

rt.jpg

and here are a few Marine snakes that was on static display at NAS Pensacola

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0094.jpg

Brock

Nice one Roger.

The Zulu is a sweet looking helo. Maybe I should pick up that Italeri kit one of these days.......

Daniel

Daniel, spare yourself the trouble and wait until someone releases an up-to-date kit - you have no idea how much work updating the Italeri kit is. And there's no resin available that'll make it easier, either. About the only thing Italeri *did* get right was the number of rotor blades - pretty much everything else needs modification....

With any luck, Revell will get around to making a Yankee and a Zulu in 1/72 sooner rather than later, with common sprues for the tail and top end. Maybe we'll get an up to date Whiskey out of the deal sometime as well...

SP