I am not taking the first one. I want Vivacious Vonnie, 79-23221. I almost had her in the NASM but lost out to the one they got. It was close. Still looking for a museum for her. OK you got me I'll fly any of them.

Floyd

Ok Floyd, we're taking a trip. We'll grab Rich and Brock and go liberate some of those Snakes up at Drum!

That is just too cool!

Jon

Ok Floyd, we're taking a trip. We'll grab Rich and Brock and go liberate some of those Snakes up at Drum!

That is just too cool!

Jon

Heck yeah I am in for sure!!!!! There is a snake out there with my name on it. I do not want a flat glass ship though, it has got to be a round canopy. Rich, we have got to figure out a way so you can get your own bird and I can have mine, maybe you can tow me like a glider with a rope once I pull pitch!!!! :salute:

Guys you let me know when, by the time you dial my number I will already be at the gate waiting on ya'll.

Brock

Here are a couple more.

Real

068inrevetmentfixed.jpg

Most interesting to see a pic of "Cindy Ann". Ever since I read "Snake Pilot" by Randy Zahn, I wanted to build a model of that chopper. I really enjoyed reading that book and I think it can be highly recommended. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing those pics!

Oh, and, great models, Floyd! :banana:

EDIT:WE NEED A NEW-TOOL AH-1G IN 72ND SCALE!

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Randy's a great guy. Helped me out quite a bit with my Cobras book. There's a full profile of Cindy Ann in my book.

Hey Floyd, that last Cobra you posted has got me a bit confused. Is it from the 5th Avn Det or is it from B/2/17th Cav? It has markings for both!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Jon,

[Hey Floyd, that last Cobra you posted has got me a bit confused. Is it from the 5th Avn Det or is it from B/2/17th Cav? It has markings for both! ]

This may help with regards to the photo posted by Floyd. Aircraft appears to be a replacement for losses incured during Lam Son 719. It is possible that two aircraft from the Cobra NETT may have been assigned to the various units within the 101st. I can not prove that at this time however.

AH-1G; 67-15572, was assigned to A 2/17 Cav as a replacement during this period of reconstitution. She was named "Have Gun Will Travel" and I believe she had previously served in 2/20 ARA.

Very few aircraft in the 101st were named as this practice was strickly forbidden by the command. "Miss Rita" was the 20mm ship in A 2/17 Cav at one point. Aircraft was named for the CE's wife following a family tradition dating back to WWII. The aircraft commander told him it had to be removed but conditionally relented after the CE broke down in tears. The condition imposed by the aircraft commander; The name can stay until I get my 1st *** chewing. The name lasted about a week as the *** chewing did come for all concerned.

Hell of a way to fight a war.

Regards,

Michael A.

Michael,

Thank you! Guess I'm gonna have to do one of my Snakes in those markings too! (I've got an original Assault Troop patch sitting on my shelf waiting for a Snake to go with it!)

Now that I look at it, that bird is 021.

As for "Have Gun Will Travel", is it possible that it also served with the 11th ACR? The following photo is why I ask:

357th001.jpg

This is from the National Archives and shows Reservists from Maryland's 357th Transpo working on "Have Gun Will Travel". Now I've seen a few snakes with such a name, but I'm wondering if this could be the same bird?

I'm gonna have to look further into this one. I absolutely live for this $h!t!

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Jon

Have Gun Will Travel: Not the above mentioned [picture] aircraft from 11th ACR. Name in 3" possibly 4" stenciled letters on left side under gunners canopy. Painted in Chromate Green which did not show up real well against the origional OD paint. More research required!

NETT Cobras / Replacement Aircraft

Looks like two AH-1G's went directly from the Cobra NETT to C 2/17 Cav in February 1971. Lam Son 719 was a good place to get your helicopter broken, or worse.

68-15021; Survived the war.

68-15201; Was damaged in April 71, during a bad hovering autorotation if I remember correctly. She was repaired in theater but lost later in the war.

Do not stare at these two serial numbers to closely if you want to pass your next eye exam.

You are absolutely correct about one thing, "absolutely loving this $h!t!"

Let me know if you can ID a tail number for the 11th ACR's Have Gun Will Travel.

Regards,

Michael

My dad is late 68 or early 69 with a cobra from the 334th 67-15404:

cobra2.jpg

cobra3.jpg

cobra2.jpg

cobra1.jpg

The cobra was a relatively new beast at that time. These pics were taken before this bird got very dirty. You can see a small Aussie roo just under the CPG's canopy. Jon and I figure that this bird either had a Aussie gunner or it was tagged by them.

Ray

Ray,

I think we need to email Ken Rubin to see if he knows more about the kangaroo. There's gotta be a great story behind it.

As a side note, the Indiana Rangers just sent me a 48 minute audio CD of their transmissions during a mission where the 334th was supporting them. Some unbelievable stuff!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

Here are some pics my dad took when he was on WestPac with 169 in 1979/80. IIRC, this was the first T cruise, they were not yet TOWs. The first pic is his A/C, no 43, and the second pic is the proof.

mason

Westpac06.jpg

Westpac03.jpg