Well, I figure you got to have some pics from Army manuals as well as the Marine ones. these are from the AH-1G manual June 1971. Please let me know if you guys don't want to see pics from manuals here. Otherwise, that looks to be the direction we're heading at the moment so I'll play along. These should be large enough images to be of some real help with model building. As these are public documents, it would be a very cool service if ARC or some other site would host the PDF's for download. I have quite a few Army ones already that I would gladly share.

Ray

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that weapons loadouts and weapons schematics could be helpful for someone building on of these guys. so we will start there.

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-24.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-23.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-22.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-41.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-40.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-39.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-38.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-37.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-36.jpg

AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00-34.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice detail shots Shawn, glad they showed the red shark mouth that I got pics of. Man wish I could have gone to that airshow! I've missed so many this summer by working down here in El Paso. Thanks again.

David

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Greetings you guys.

Do any of you have pics of the way the skids on 9J retracted? Of the retraction mechanism? I've seen various pics of the skids and the ones of them fully retracted and they look hidden.

Is there any one out there that has footage of the retraction sequence?

Great pics of all the Cobras BTW.

I do agree on the comment about the -Z models. They don't look like a Cobra too much to me either. If they had orrigally put the 4 bladed rotor on like the plans I had seen before, then it wouldn't be that much of a shock to those of us that have just seen the two bladers..

Hey-

Great timimg that this thread would pop up again, since my current project is an 1/48 AH-1W (WIP in the Helo forums). I thought I would post a picture that I am basing my build on (from marines.mil) of an HLMA-269 AH-1W in Afghanistan from last year.

I think the loadout is interesting in that they are using the two rail M279 Hellfire launcher (instead of the more common 4 rail M272) with a mixed load of missiles. The outboard missile is either an M or N and in the inboard missile is a K variant. The missile type is stenciled on the nose, but it's very faint and doesn't show up very well unless it's a very close photo. On the inboard station is a LAU-68 with short rockets (I assume just HE?). Other pics in the same series show the other side which has a LAU-68 inboard with a full load of rockets with flechette warheads (long rockets). The outboard station is empty, so does this mean that TOW is finally going away? Or is it just that the altutudes in Afghanistan dictate somewhat lighter loads? Or too few target suitable for a TOW?

Other pics from the time period also show that they are commonly carrying M4 Carbines in the cockpit (singly, or in both cockpits), some unauthorized while some in the recently authorized brackets.

Just as an aside, the AH-1W has been using the APKWS operationally, but I have yet to see a picture of one in theater. Has anyone else seen one? Or even on a UH-1Y?

110606-M-MF699-003.jpg

Phil

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple shots of the Cobra's in storage in Tehachapi, CA.

Cobras-1.jpg

Cobras-2.jpg

Cobras-3.jpg

Cobras-4.jpg

Cobras-5.jpg

I was wondering what fire did with those fuselages. Our sheriff's air unit is currently occupying the hangar these poor birds use to call their home. I took numerous walkaround photos of the cobras, but couldn't see much of the Huey. Thanks for posting.

• 11 months later...