This may of been discussed in the past but I just wanted to start a discussion regarding jet models 1/48 vs 1/32 and what people prefer and the bang for your buck. Oviously there are more kits available in 1/48 but most of them (Hasegawa) no weapons, so you have to purchase these seperate. In both scales you may purchase resin cockpits, decal sheets. Space issues aside I feel it is easier to work with the larger scale and it is so nice you get full weapons (Trumpeter/Tamiya/Academy).

Interested in others thoughts and comments?

Many 48th kits come with their own weaponry. Some don't, but Hasegawa's notorious for that bad habit across all scales. You can't use them as the baseline :coolio:

I think overall you get more choices, more options, more decals, more aftermarket, and simply just more support for whatever you want to build, in 1/48th.

My $0.02. Don't get me wrong, I like 32nd now and again, but I think 48th is better to model in (if those were the only 2 choices)

What's the question? Sorry, not trying to be a PITA.

It's purely personal preference. I find 32nd scale more expensive as I tend to detail more and buy more aftermarket, but I also spend longer building- so the value is still there.

So if I want a quick relaxing build, I'll buy a 48th Tamiya Wildcat. If I want something longer and more challanging I'll go with a 1/32 Trumpeter Warthog with an aftermarket resin cockpit and decals.

You make some very good points. I also think one of the benefits to building in 1/48 is if you want to do multiple aircraft, say you want to build 4 F-16's with different markings, sure would be expensive to build 4 Tamiya 1/32 F-16's.

When it comes to jets I mostly build Hasegawa and that is why I was making the point of the no weapons in the kit, extra money to spend for example you want to build a 1/48 F-14, buy the kit and 2 weapon sets with tax you $100.00 not including resin cockpit, decals. Could end up costing as much as a 1/32 kit with full weapons.

Other kits like Itelari don't like the plastic or fit or accuracy. Even buying a Has 1/48 Harrier kit, decals, resin cockpit, weapons, gets expensive. I will be interested to see how Hobby Boss moves forward with their kits. Mirage III kit is nice, loaded with weapons, good price, toss in a resin cockpit. It will be interesting to see their future releases, would be nice if they pop 1/48 Tomcats, Mig 29, Su-17, Tornado, etc.

In both scales you may purchase resin cockpits, decal sheets. Space issues aside I feel it is easier to work with the larger scale and it is so nice you get full weapons (Trumpeter/Tamiya/Academy).

Interested in others thoughts and comments?

I am a dedicated jethead and prefer to work in 1/32. This scale suits my eyesight, my desire to tinker with and experiment with multimedia (resin, etch, scratchbuilding etc) and the challenge of achieving a uniform paint finish over such a large airframe.

Larger jet models are always show-stoppers and popular choices for model shows, if not the actual prizewinners - But it gives me a real kick to finish a big 1/32 jet with loads of extra detail, knowing it will be a conversation piece wherever it ends up, be it on my shelf at home, at the local IPMS club, or at a show.

The downsides are price (at least US$150 these days, and that's just the kit... add aftermarket pit, nozzles, PE and decals or weapons and you could easily break $400) and the space (up to 6 sq ft per item!)

Edited by Pruz

If available, I usually prefer 1/32 over 1/48. Obviously 1/48 is more practical in terms of space and occassionally $. But 1/32 has a much higher "wow" factor than its smaller counterpart.

I'd ask myself this question "Terry, if you're allowed to build ONLY ONE tomcat/flanker/f-16/hornet/whatever in your life time, what scale would it be?"

The larger scale almost always prevail.

Cheers,

Terry

As a builder of everything military (U.S. that is) I have found (to my suiting,as I will speaking only for myself) that I keep the props to 1/48 as I find there is only so much you can do to them out side of a dynamite weather job. But when it comes to the suck and blow boys, gimme 1/32 (I say this as I look at my un started 1/48 F-84) With the detail you can put into it the (as previously noted) the "wow" factor can go thru the roof. Theres my 2 cents of "ching-ba-da-ching"

I tend to lean more into 1-32. I think that you can get more detail in 1-32 than in 1-48. It is expensive to buy mostly 1-32, but it's not that bad when you can find a good deal on them. I like both scales, and I build in both scales.But, for some of the subjects that I wanted to build, I didn't have a choice( 1-48 B-1B and 1-48 B-29). So, I guess it's really up to the modeler.

.......RYAN.

This is a purely subjective call, but I model in 1/48 exclusively for a bunch of reasons (all entirely relative to my preferences and circumstances):

1. 1/32 is too expensive.

2. 1/32 is too big to display.

3. 1/32 is too limited in choice (I model anything post-WWII).

4. 1/32 is too big for me to appreciate (bear with me!). I like to look at models from about a foot away; in 1/48 this allows me to behold an entire average jet in all its glory. In 1/32 I have to stand further back to appreciate its aesthetics, and I find that inconvenient (another way of saying this is that I find 1/32 a bit overwhelming).

5. 1/32 is more demanding - I think the larger scale requires higher standards of modelling skill (on average).

6. 1/32 is too time-consuming to build; they have too many parts.

7. 1/32 won't allow me to display a transport aircraft next to a fighter; I like to display models of the same scale so I can appreciate their relative sizes.

8. 1/32 clutters up the workbench.

9. 1/32 is too big to transport easily (rather important when carrying models on two or three flights between central China and the UK).

There are probably more, but that's why I avoid the larger scales!

Each to his own.

Jon

Edited by jonbryon

I mainly do 1/48 as they are easier to handle as some of the previous posters have stated. However, some 1/32 scale aircraft are almost the same size as a 1/48 one.

Take for example the F-16 is 1/32. It is about the same size as a F-15 in 1/48.

Comparison.jpg

As you can see, the F-16 is marginally larger than the F-15 and won't take up much more space than that F-15.

My $0.02 worth. :)

For me 32nd is scale for building "something special". Otherwise it's too expensive, requires too much space when finished and doesn't lend itself to "quick OOB build" (too big to ignore all that detail!) to be my "everyday" scale. And so I only have one 32nd scale kit in my stash.

Even 48th seems a tad too big for me at times :).

However, some 1/32 scale aircraft are almost the same size as a 1/48 one.
Yes, but this is not fair comparison - F-15 is huge to begin with. Put a Spitifre or 109 next to it (same scale), difference in size is startling :). Put Spitifre next to an F-16 (again: same scale), you'll just see that jet is larger, but it'll not dwarf the WWII fighter.
Yes, but this is not fair comparison - F-15 is huge to begin with. Put a Spitifre or 109 next to it (same scale), difference in size is startling :rofl:. Put Spitifre next to an F-16 (again: same scale), you'll just see that jet is larger, but it'll not dwarf the WWII fighter.

Good point.

I don't limit myself to one scale, but never thought about a preference. I just cranked some #s through my stash spreadsheet (built & unbuilt) and came up with the following distribution:

1:32 makes up only 4% of my stash

1:48 makes up 28%

1:72 makes up 40%

1:144 makes up 20%

1:24 & 1:25 makes up 4% (mostly car models)

all others make up the remaining 4%

Decals are a little different:

1:32 = 12%

1:48 = 51%

1:72 = 36%

all others = 1%

I should be building, not counting... :woo:

1/32 is way too big for me because I have limited space for modelling & displaying. Also you can get 1/48 detail close to 1/32. That is not the case with 1/72 to 1/48. Also I like unusual birds & the choice in 1/32 is very limiting. Also now there is a wider choice of support wehicles & equipment for 1/48.