F-16C Block 25, 158 FW VT ANG 85-1403

Okay, it’s about time I got around to posting this…

This is my first group build on ARC. I am doing the kit that I was going to do for the Air National Guard group build, but never got around to starting. Life just got too busy and I knew I would never finish it in time. Life isn’t any less busy now, but I am hoping that I will finish this before the deadline.

I am building the old Hasegawa F-16C, kit V3. Here's the obligatory photo of the kit in the box.

001.jpg

Also I will be using Two Bobs "60th Anniv. Green Mountain Boys" decals. Black Box cocpkit and LITENING pod from Wolfpack Designs will be added. I don't feel like trying to do too much work to the intake so I am taking the easy way out and using an intake cover from Steel Beach.

004.jpg

003.jpg

October was a busy month and I didn't have much time for working on this. I've got a couple other models on my work bench at the moment that are close to being finished. I really want to finish those up before I dive into this, but I am anxious to get underway with this kit. I have a little more work done than what I have to show here, but have yet to take pictures. As soon as I can get around to it I will get some more in progress pictures posted.

049.jpg

The first cuts were made in preparation fro the black box cockpit.

052.jpg

While cutting off the resin pour stub from the bottom of the seat I managed to break off one of the braces> I completely destroyed it so a new one was scratch but from Evergreen plastic.

That's it for now. More to come...

Mark

Just a comment, the Afterburner stencils are sized for the Tamiya kit, not the Hasegawa kit.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm aware of that fact. I not going to use too many from the Afterburner sheet. Basically the ACES II decal for the seat and the state inspection sticker, err, I mean the optical correction placard for the inside of the canopy were about the only decals I am going to use. I'm going to save the rest for the Tamiya kit I have in the stash.

Mark

Edited by okthree

Don't mean to butt in on the thread but Dave,do you have any contacts there at the base that can get me a pic of one of thier P-47's from back in the day?I've got two Tamiya T-Bolt's in the wings that are going to be in ANG markings,one will most likely be in Mass. ANG markings,still searching for a suitable scheme to put the other one in.I also have a P-47N that will go in Delaware ANG markings after I get done with the Tamiya T-Bolts.

I also notice the squadrons you were with,did/do you know "Pork" Peters?He flew with both of those squadrons before he took over our unit in the 90's.

Quick update. I have installed the glare shield, rear deck, and side walls for the cockpit. As I was installing the glare shield I noticed that the AOA indexer (to the left of where the hud is mounted) had broken off. I looked in the little plastic bag that the parts came in and the box and could not find the broken piece so I scratch built a new one. Also this is Black Box's early release of the F-16C cockpit. It comes with only the WAR hud. This will be a block 25 so I needed a WAC hud. I ended up scratch building the correct hud.

076.jpg

073.jpg

I wasn't sure what I was going to use for the hud glass, but then I looked at the box that the cockpit came in. I cut off a little bit of the box for the hud glass just to see how it would look.

0012.jpg

Painted black.

Mark

Here's a couple of pics I took at the airshow for the GMB's 60th.

As you can see, it was damp that day.

60thanniow9.jpg

60thannitailrt1.jpg

60thannipatcheq1.jpg

Photos look great Dave. Thanks for sharing, I wanted to go to that show, but circumstances prevented me from going. Looks like it was wet.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Man it has been a while since I updated this one. I had to go all the way back to page 9 to find it. I had hoped to have more work done on this by now and it is getting down to the wire. November and December are always months where I can't get a lot of model building done because of the holidays. I also have been very busy fixing things around my house to get it ready to put it on the market for sale, so my time at the workbench has been sparse. I've only got back to this kit just recently. Anyways here's what I've got done. First, after I got the seat primed I noticed that the manual chute release handle was missing and the O2 supply line for the supplemental O2 bottle looked as if someone had taken a bite out of it. I rebuilt the handle with Evergreen strip and patched up the supply line with a small snake of Miliput.

Before priming. The missing items are circled in red

seat2.jpg

Here's a couple of the seat painted.

seat3.jpg

seat.jpg

I had to use the kit ejection handle because the resin one was missing from the Black Box set that I have. It doesn't look too bad when you see it in real life, but the photographs make it look fat.

Here's the cockpit tub painted up. I was going to take more but the batteries in my camera died and the spare was dead too, so I'll have to wait until its charged up to get more. I have the fuselage joined up. also using the Aires wheel wells and have that installed too.

cockpitleft.jpg

cockpitleftfrnt.jpg

cockpitrght2.jpg

ipanel.jpg

Okay, the batteries for my camera are recharged so here's a quick update of what I worked on today.

Had to scratch build the beer can antennas. I used Jason's aka messy60 technique of cutting a slot into the wing to insert a short piece of plastic rod. I turned the rod in my battery powered Dremel tool to round off the tips. I then used half round pieces to make the aft portion of the antenna where it tapers back. I need to do a little sanding and filling to clean them up a little. I'm afraid I went a little too short on them.

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

With the half round strips added.

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

Also did a little work on the drop tanks. Added strips of Aluminum A/C tape for the support straps and worked on the panel lines for the pylons.

DSCN2014.jpg

That's it for now. I won't get anymore work done on this for a few days as I head out for a four day trip tommorrow. More next week.

Mark

Edited by okthree

Mark-

Great lookin build! those beer cans are beauties! And your seat looks great too. I'm gonna borrow your technique for the drop tanks! Aluminum Tape. Cool, i've been trying to figure out how to fix them, since sanding the seams took off the raised detail. (also, i didn't think there was raised detail like that on the real deal.) Keep up the good work and have a nice trip!!!

Jason

Thanks everyone for the positive compliments.

Despite the fact that I had all of last week off I have made very little progress on this kit. My kids had school vacation all week so that may have had something to do with the fact that I had very little time to work on this.

After looking at my refernces I was not happy with the beer can antennas I had made From my references the antennas went the full chord on the underside of the LE flaps so I reworked those. I'm happier with the results, although they are not perfect. I spent way more time on them than I had planned. I was going to scratch build the LAU 129 wing tip launchers, but in the interest of time I took a set from a Hasegawa F-16 CJ that I have. I'll just have to scratch build a set for that kit.

Also started to work on the re-enforcing panels on the wing, with .005" thick plastic sheet. That's it for now.

Mark

DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2017.jpg

Very nice paintwork on the cockpit/seat. That is the first cockpit I've ever seen that had the a/c vents on the aft bulkhead molded correctly.

Good catch on the bottom of the RWRs as well. Just keep in mind that the bottom is not half-round like the top. It is an altogether-different shape on the bottom.

Jake

Thanks Jake,

That is the old Black Box set, their orginal issue.

I have your book and from stuying the pictures it looks like the antennes are flat on the sides, am I correct? I have tried to shape them that way using a sanding stick, but it is not real noticable.

Edited by okthree
That is the old Black Box set, their orginal issue.

Interesting. They've managed to get it wrong each time since that first release.

As Greg's photo shows, the bottom of the beer cans are only flat towards the rear.

Jake