• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Those pics are great!

I like the idea of calling the ball, how low did he get?

Julien

Just enought to clear the mast. Probably about 300 ft. so. Much lower than I expected. I'll try to find the rest of the photos in that sequence and post them.

I've seen one do a flyby lower than 300' more like 100'-150'. It was the last BUFF to leave U-Tapao AB (RTNA), Thailand. What made it even more awesome is the report that it did this on only 7 engines. It was flown by the Wing Commander. I have never seen a more awesome, nor more disheartning sight as all those BUFF's in the air, and knowing they would not be returning. It really took something out of our Balloon. Well there was a step back in time when the Mayaguez was captured and Cambodia got an upclose and personal experience of what it felt like to have USAF Phantoms, Aardvarks and SLUF's raining good ol' Iron dumb bombs down on them. We...uhh...hand a hand in that too :jaw-dropping: .

To me the definitive version of the BUFF is the mighty "D".

Edited by Angels49

Scanning pics for the Army Aviation Museum and I stumbled across these. They were all scanned at 4000 PPI so I cropped and enlarged some to show more detail where I thought it was appropriate. I know it's sad to see all those BUFFs at the boneyard, but they were an impressive site. Especially when you compare their size to the other aircraft around them. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy these.

Ray

Misc%20fixed%20wing0027%20small.jpg

Misc%20fixed%20wing0027%20small-2.jpg

notice bomb bay doors open on this bird.

Misc%20fixed%20wing0070%20small.jpg

Misc%20fixed%20wing0072%20small.jpg

Misc%20fixed%20wing0072%20small-2.jpg

...........What made it even more awesome is the report that it did this on only 7 engines............

Reminds me of a story I heard about a single engined fighter that had suffered a bird strike in the engine, but it was still running. He had radioed the tower for clearance to land, only to be told he'd have to wait as a B-52 was coming in on 7 engines.

Bearing in mind is own problems, he replied over the radio sarcastically......."Oh no! not the dreaded 7 engine landing!!"

Scanning pics for the Army Aviation Museum and I stumbled across these. They were all scanned at 4000 PPI so I cropped and enlarged some to show more detail where I thought it was appropriate. I know it's sad to see all those BUFFs at the boneyard, but they were an impressive site. Especially when you compare their size to the other aircraft around them. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy these.

Ray

Misc%20fixed%20wing0027%20small.jpg

Misc%20fixed%20wing0027%20small-2.jpg

That top photo goes back a few years; there are still Shakeys in the background! And two seat F9Fs.

That sad thing is all of those tall tail BUFFs ain't there no mo.

• 8 months later...