Monogram F-102 Case XX 48th

I want to get the Case XX winged F-102. I see a bunch of F-102s on Ebay, but I am not sure which one is Case X and which is Case XX. The only ones I know for sure are the Pro-Modeler and the RoG are Case X. So which boxings should I be looking for?

You want this boxing:

Monogram%205827%20F-102%20CS.JPG

kit # 5827

The Pro-Mod, Revell AG and most Recent Monogram boxing are all Case X wings

I think the Hasegawa/Monogram issue from 2000 or so was a Case XX, but I'm not sure and those were pretty much a Japan only issue

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

It has the Case XX wings, which aren't found very commonly on kits of the F-102. From what I understand the Case XX wing has more droop at the wing tips and were installed starting with aircraft 56-1317 or so. I believe the Fox One sheets (which have some great markings for F-102s) have a mix of both Case X and Case XX aircraft.

Edited by David Walker

The original Monogram kit molds with its Case XX wings were modified permanently to produce the Case X wing kits, thus no Case XX kits will be molded again without new molds being made first. Any future re-releases will be Case X only, so the original kits are limited supply. Even though they are still readily available off ebay.

Rick L.

The original Monogram kit molds with its Case XX wings were modified permanently to produce the Case X wing kits, thus no Case XX kits will be molded again without new molds being made first. Any future re-releases will be Case X only, so the original kits are limited supply. Even though they are still readily available off ebay.

Rick L.

Maybe, maybe not! Looking real close at the wingtips, it looks like they were designed as a plug or die insert and affect only the top wing halves. The change to Case X was not necessarily a change to the entire tool. As to whether the original inserts survive in useable condition is the pertinent question.

In any case (no pun intended), the wingtips from the readily available F-106 can be adapted (OK, so it takes a bit of modeling skill) to produce acceptable Case XX wings on your Duece. Alternately, since you really only need the outboard 2" or so of each wing, a bit of mold-making and resin casting (from the Case XX kit) would give you all the late-model F-102s you will ever need.

Phil

Maybe, maybe not! Looking real close at the wingtips, it looks like they were designed as a plug or die insert and affect only the top wing halves. The change to Case X was not necessarily a change to the entire tool. As to whether the original inserts survive in useable condition is the pertinent question.

In any case (no pun intended), the wingtips from the readily available F-106 can be adapted (OK, so it takes a bit of modeling skill) to produce acceptable Case XX wings on your Duece. Alternately, since you really only need the outboard 2" or so of each wing, a bit of mold-making and resin casting (from the Case XX kit) would give you all the late-model F-102s you will ever need.

Phil

Using the F-106 wings- is it as simple as using the entire wing from the F-106 and making it fit the 102 or only a portion of the wing?

Using the F-106 wings- is it as simple as using the entire wing from the F-106 and making it fit the 102 or only a portion of the wing?

The wing of the F-102 has fences, the wing of the F-106 has a leading edge saw cut. Also the ailerons of the F-102 are angled along the outer edge, the F-106 ailerons are not. The control surfaces of the F-106 kit are drooped, I don't know for sure however I don't think that the control surfaces of the F-102 did that.

This is a picture of a F-102 I built, back when the kit was new on the market.

DSC00016.jpg

And this is a picture of a yet to be built F-106.

DSC00017.jpg

The wingtip lights are in different locations on the F-102 and F-106 as well, but that would be a simple correction to make. If I were wanting to turn a Case X wing F-102 into a Case XX, and had a scrap F-106 to cannibalize, I would just use the wing tips.

The Case XX wing pictured above on the built F-102 model has the ailerons panel line at an angle (the outer most control surface on the wing). The case X wings aileron ended in a straight line, as pictured in the F-106 wing.

Edited by terryt

Just a quick note to add regarding the F-102 kit. If you get hold of the kit with the markings as shown on the box in kenlilly 106's reply you won't be able to use them, as the a/c shown on the box top was from the 496FIS, which had case X wingtips. I have a photo of this machine taken at Wethersfield open day in 1964, which clearly shows the early type wingtip, and to the best of my knowledge thy were not retro fitted to these machines . . Hope this is of some help.

:D :P

Just a quick note to add regarding the F-102 kit. If you get hold of the kit with the markings as shown on the box in kenlilly 106's reply you won't be able to use them, as the a/c shown on the box top was from the 496FIS, which had case X wingtips. I have a photo of this machine taken at Wethersfield open day in 1964, which clearly shows the early type wingtip, and to the best of my knowledge thy were not retro fitted to these machines . . Hope this is of some help.

:D :P

Thanks Hooter. I have some AM decals for it. From what I read, they did not retrofit any XX wings on the X winged-airframes