Here is the first of my contributions to the group build.

Gloster Gladiator N5519 R, Christened by Flg off. John Waters in June 1940 as "Charity". In this aircraft Group Captain George Burges destroyed an SM79 on 22 June 1940 and an MC200 on the 23rd over Sliema. It was shot down on the 27th July injuring Flg off Waters.

This references to http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Malta%20WWII...;%20Charity.htm

which is Gp Cpt Burges home page.

8.jpg

5.jpg

The kit by Roden was built with a PE seat from Lion Roar and rigged with florist's wire. The kit was completed as per the information on IPMS Stockholm and this lead to the use of the 3 blade prop, deletion of dingy pack and arrestor hook.

Now onto the next job which will be a helo.

Hope you like it

Colin W

Edited by Colin W
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps

Here is my second effort for the RN Group build. This is a Westland Dragonfly HR3 from HMS Eagle in 1954. Made as per the link below from the Belcher Bits kits and it was a neat build. Like the Lynx posted on the home page last week this is a fully resin kit with the necessary individual add ons. It was quite a challenge in some parts but looks great now completed.

The hard part was definitely the assembly of the 3 piece glazing over the nose. This was made a lot easier with the masks provided and the neat design of the kit. Quite a bit of additional detail was needed around the winch and rotor head and for this I used the machines at RAF Cosford, RTAF Don Muang, Weston Helicopter museum, RNAS Yeovilton and HM Dockyard Chattham for reference. The main part missing from the kit was any reference to the tail rotor guard structure. This is very prominent and I'm surprised we didn't even get a drawing. Finally I had to estimate the size from pics I took over the years.

I don't normally go for kit decals but on this occasion the kit decals were for the machine in the "RN Aircraft after 1945" book I usually use so I decided to give them a go. They went on beautifully and it was a shame to use so few!

Dragonfly01.jpg

Dragonfly03.jpg

Dragonfly04.jpg

Dragonfly048.jpg

Dragonfly088.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks to Mike Belcher for providing us with a lovely kit. I'm not sure what to build next. Another Helo is tempting having now the Wasp, Lynx and Dragonfly, but as a Jet man I have only the Scimitar to build from the front line types, or could we face another Wyvern?

Cheers

Colin W

Edited by Colin W
  • 2 weeks later...

This post is on behalf of Phantom, so I'll let his pictures do the talking ;)

Model is a 1/48 Hobbycraft Sea Fury built out of the box using AeroMaster decals for a 871 squadron plane off HMCS Bonneventure.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Shawn "Phantom" Weiler

ShawnsSeafury1.jpg

ShawnsSeafury3.jpg

ShawnsSeafury4.jpg

ShawnsSeafury2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first input from my thread.

Trumpeter 1/72 Sea Fury Fb.11

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

The kit is out of the box except for the inclusing of masking tape seat belts. The kit decals were nice enough to use, but the stripes were the wrong size and shape so I bit the bullet and sprayed them on. I used Tamiya AS-10 RAF Ocean Grey for a weather sea grey and Tamiya sky. The Sea Fury was weathered using thinned tamiya smoke and odd paint chips were added.

Any comments are welcomed.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Here my Firefly Mk./FR.5 from PP Aerokits in 1:48 :o . I bulit a Machine from the HMS Glory 821 Squadron. The HMS Glory make 3 Tours in the Korean War ,my Firefly is from the last Tour 8 Nov 1952 -19 May 1953. By the other Tours fly the 812 Squadron with the Firefly. In the Korean War fly the FAA over 20000 sorties and 22 Crews was killed in action. Lt.Com.Gardner and the Observer Lt.Hunter fly the WB410 Firefly in the last Tour in the Korean War. Here the Pics...

glory1fd2.th.jpg

glory2he0.th.jpg

glory3pm6.th.jpg

glory4uk6.th.jpg

glory5qy6.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well last one from me chaps. This is a record for me 3 in one group build and I started the Scimitar but didnt get very far.

BAe XF-35 on HMS Elizabeth in 2012.

Batman012.jpg

Batman034.jpg

Batman043.jpg

Batman021.jpg

This is a record for me 3 in one group build and I started the Scimitar but didnt get very far.

Thanks to Col and the other organisers.

Colin W

• 2 weeks later...

Hoi Y'all,

Well here is Avenger II P1B from the 849 Squadron January 1945.

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

The build went fine. But i fought the rest of it all the way. Some panel lines are practically gone due to having to repaint most of the wings. I forgot to clean the wings, so upon removing the mask big flakes of paint came right off. Also my masking (both mine and Eduard's) was not the best. Still the fading of the paint and marking and the dirtying up of the plane and panel lines looks really nice to me. The camera does not quite pick up the extent of weathering that the kit has.

Anyways this is the plane that my late uncle, W.J.S. McRae was flying in when they were shot down during Operation Meridian II. He was the TAG. All three crewmen were captured (along with at least one other crew of the 849). They were all executed days after the armistice. The family does not like to talk about his loss, but i am hoping that this build will help with that. An aunt and uncle are coming over from Scotland soon and i hope they will like the build.

later

Ruud

Edited by Ruud

Hoi,

I forgot to add:

BIG thank you's to:

Al, Chuck, Bob, and Scott, and Jim and Garth (from OHMS) for helping me with the research and decals. Thank you to the others that have posted, emailed, and/or PMed my during my search and build as well.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/RollofHo...orial_roll.html

later

Ruud

Edited by Ruud

Jolly decent seafire to finish off with.

I reckon FAA planes were dirty or Glossy so dirty and glossy I'm not sure but it looks good. Mine are all all glossy cos we're Britsh and thats the way things should be.

Since its now April 3 this must be the end so well done to all those who finished and what an excellent group build it was. Maybe we should have another FAA GB next year.

Colin W

Edited by Colin W
  • 2 weeks later...