AH-1F Cobras I've flown

Those are fantastic photos, Floyd. Glad to see you were able carry over your profession into civilian life (nice ride to boot!). Thanks for your service to our country, I bet you have all kinds of cool stories to tell. I wonder if we could talk Joseph into making decals for Vivacious Vonnie...

Cheers,

Alby

Yes I did have two articles. One in FSM Nov 98 I think which mentioned my "Models for Bosnia" campaign, which was the precursor to the current "Models for the Troops". and I was in Great Scale Modeling 1997 I think.

Floyd

Cool pics Floyd thanks for posting them... Hey did you happen to do an article for FSM a few years back??? I can't remember what the article was but your name definately rings bells...

Funny you should mention that because as we speak Joseph is working on decals for "Vivacious Vonnie" in 1/48th. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much to make them 1/72nd too.

IF you, or anyone else, is interested in "Vivacious Vonnie" decals or any of the other aircraft from these photos please contact Joseph directly. The more people that contact him the more likely he'll produce them. I gave him a bunch of photos. I was hoping to have a Floyd Werner sheet. I hope that didn't sound conceited or pompous. Just I think it would be kind of neat.

Along those same lines, I have rescribed the Monogram AH-1F and done some updates for the Cobra Company (hopefully). So shortly you'll be able to build Vonnie. My hopes is that Cobra Company will reproduce the fuselage halves with the panel lines and extra work, as well as, the TOW launchers and rocket pods. The single TOW launchers I made are empty two missile pods, like Vonnie has. You will be able to add as many missiles as you want or you can build the rack empty. The other thing I made are the M-260 pods instead of the M-200 pods in the kit so if you want to do those you can. I may try my hand at a set of seven shot pods as well. One last thing that I will make after the fuselage halves are made is the IPS modification that I showed on the photos. Cobrahistorian is making the debris deflectors. Jon, diming you out. LOL

Hopefully this will produce a relatively up to date AH-1F. As up to date as we are likely to get anytime lately. That is IF the Cobra Company will produce it and IF people will buy them.

Floyd

Those are fantastic photos, Floyd. Glad to see you were able carry over your profession into civilian life (nice ride to boot!). Thanks for your service to our country, I bet you have all kinds of cool stories to tell. I wonder if we could talk Joseph into making decals for Vivacious Vonnie...

Cheers,

Alby

Funny you should mention that because as we speak Joseph is working on decals for "Vivacious Vonnie" in 1/48th. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much to make them 1/72nd too.

IF you, or anyone else, is interested in "Vivacious Vonnie" decals or any of the other aircraft from these photos please contact Joseph directly. The more people that contact him the more likely he'll produce them. I gave him a bunch of photos. I was hoping to have a Floyd Werner sheet. I hope that didn't sound conceited or pompous. Just I think it would be kind of neat.

Along those same lines, I have rescribed the Monogram AH-1F and done some updates for the Cobra Company (hopefully). So shortly you'll be able to build Vonnie. My hopes is that Cobra Company will reproduce the fuselage halves with the panel lines and extra work, as well as, the TOW launchers and rocket pods. The single TOW launchers I made are empty two missile pods, like Vonnie has. You will be able to add as many missiles as you want or you can build the rack empty. The other thing I made are the M-260 pods instead of the M-200 pods in the kit so if you want to do those you can. I may try my hand at a set of seven shot pods as well. One last thing that I will make after the fuselage halves are made is the IPS modification that I showed on the photos. Cobrahistorian is making the debris deflectors. Jon, diming you out. LOL

Hopefully this will produce a relatively up to date AH-1F. As up to date as we are likely to get anytime lately. That is IF the Cobra Company will produce it and IF people will buy them.

Floyd

Wow! :wacko: Sounds like quite the comprehensive set if it comes to fruition. The TOW launchers will be a big bonus as building the only option in the kit is the four-cell loaded type (which I've converted to two cell launchers myself). IIRC, the M260 pods do not have the NM ring around the front and rear edge of the pods, right?

As for decals, Joseph could always do a combined set; US Army Helicopters Of ARC'ers. It could have yours, Jon's, Erick's, as well as any other Army pilot who is also an ARCer. LOL Okay, I'll quit brainstorming before I hurt myself.

Thanks for the head's up on what could be in the works. If or when Joseph can/will downscale the Vivacious Vonnie decals, I may have to remark that 1/72 AH-1F I built for the helicopter group build last year.

Cheers,

Alby

Good Lord man I was at that airshow!!!! I grew up about 20 minutes from Dyess, would have been My senior year in High School, wow you just never know do you...

It was the year that beautiful P-51D Mustang crashed. I was in a T-6 on the taxiway and had the best view of the crash. It sucked. Besides the guy dying I never did get the T-6 ride. I almost wrangled a ride in the Mustang. Don't know if it had a second set of controls but it sure would have sucked to ride it in, but what a way to go. Often thought about what would have happened if it did have controls. My first time on the stick and a dead or dying (heart attack) pilot in the front. It was an unfortunate event and show. The night before was pretty good though what I can remember about it. I seem to remember ordering another keg on the base commanders O'Club bill. Don't remember much after that. LOL

Floyd

Its the Stetson. Makes me look distinguished. LOL It does hold a special place in my heart and it sits over our fireplace under my crossed sabers and spurs.

Garryowen.

Floyd

I will NEVER be able to watch my Masterclass vids the same!!

Dude you Rock!!! Nice pictures!!!!

-Jim

Alright, here is the question that all of the folks around Rucker want to know......

Were you able to pick up that wonderful dialect around Daleville and Enterprise, or did you pass on talking Bama???

HA HA!! Floyd Werner in my home town....and he lived!!! HA HA!!!

-Jim

Born and raised in DOTHAN!!

I made it out of Bama before learning the dialect. Actually since I've been all around my NJ accent is no longer noticeable. I kind of mixed German, Texas, Bama, and some other places here and there.

Most people are able to understand me in most circles. LOL

Floyd

Alright, here is the question that all of the folks around Rucker want to know......

Were you able to pick up that wonderful dialect around Daleville and Enterprise, or did you pass on talking Bama???

HA HA!! Floyd Werner in my home town....and he lived!!! HA HA!!!

-Jim

Born and raised in DOTHAN!!

• 11 years later...
On 11/29/2007 at 11:53 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

My aircraft before becoming a civilian, OH-58D® 1-7 Cav, 1st Cav Division Bosnia 1998

warriorbosniafw_2.jpg

warriorbosniafw_1.jpg

and a model of it

is this Comanche Base?

-Ramon

2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Yes it is.

Floyd

Summer of 98? If so,  you were the guys that replaced us, and we were there at the same time, at least for a week or so as we did the transfer.  I remember pulling overnight QRF and seeing a bunch of Hooah 1st Cav dudes doing PT as we were ending our shift and going to bed.  Small world!

-Ramon

7 hours ago, anvil6 said:

Summer of 98? If so,  you were the guys that replaced us, and we were there at the same time, at least for a week or so as we did the transfer.  I remember pulling overnight QRF and seeing a bunch of Hooah 1st Cav dudes doing PT as we were ending our shift and going to bed.  Small world!

-Ramon

It was actually 1999