F-14 ejection seat question

EDITED- i was thinking of the Delta Tomcat seats in my origional post. The A & B Tomcats have the Martin Baker seat as seen in Ishthe47guy post photo below

I'd just mix whatever paints you have on hand and not go out to buy a special color for this. Besides, different shades, dry brushing, and washes will add a lot of depth and color variation.

Edited by toadwbg
Has anyone had any luck matching the light brown cushion color to something from model master? I'm trying to represent a late B model. Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Ben

The seat cushions in the Tomcats where dark green, model master dark green is a perfect match. Never saw a brown seat cushion in a Tomcat during my 14 years, well, one time, but that was the pilots fault. :blink:

I booboo'd in my origional post, I was thinking of the D Tomcat seats and not the A & B. I edited it.

That's a nice picture of the A, B Tomcat seat and the one I've used for refrence.

Trouble is- There are obvisouly 2 different colors going on for the "soft" goods. The Nylon is almost mettalic looking green around the cushion. . Where the cushion itself looks almost Olive Drab to me.

I've always had difficulty replicating this mettalic nylon color. I added some yellow to green and that at looked sort of spiffy I thought. But color to taste.

These seat cushions get a real work out, and fuel residue all over them. With wear, chemical residue and exposure to sunlight, they weather to a kind of dingy light drab color most of the time. Sometimes a little blue-ish, sometimes tan-ish, depending on the cloth lot. I'd paint with a medium olive drab, then wash the shading on for the shadows, then dry brush the highlights with a lighter tint if the original o.d. color. Go a little heavier at the top of the cushion with the drybrushing as the top part of the seat back got more wear and sunlight exposure than the bottom.

Yeah, the seat cushions got enough wear and tear that just about any drab color (green OR brown, if not both) would work. Nice and dirty. I've also not seen a pair of ejection handles THAT clean in pretty much any cockpit photo I've ever looked at. The yellow is typically much more faded/stained.

Edited by Skull Leader
I booboo'd in my origional post, I was thinking of the D Tomcat seats and not the A & B. I edited it.

That's a nice picture of the A, B Tomcat seat and the one I've used for refrence.

Trouble is- There are obvisouly 2 different colors going on for the "soft" goods. The Nylon is almost mettalic looking green around the cushion. . Where the cushion itself looks almost Olive Drab to me.

I've always had difficulty replicating this mettalic nylon color. I added some yellow to green and that at looked sort of spiffy I thought. But color to taste.

The ejection site has the seat you're looking for. Here is the web address: http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

Hope this helps...