F-16D progress (1/48 Has)

Finally some progress....shoehorning the cockpit was tough and the pictures show what I did. The cockpit is from BB and I ended up notching the canopy sill for the sidewalls & used Tamiya 2 oart epozy putty to fill seams etc. I really wished the pictures turned out better, need to get better camera.

The tail was reworked and I had to repair the control surface closeout (white styrene) after my moto tool chewed up that area so I replaced the whole section. Also shown is the new radome copied from a Tamiya kit. Flare buckets are also copied from Tamiya. The intake is CE (small mouth) and Aired wheel bays (resin inside resin).

prog-111607.jpg

ckpt-1.jpg

ckpt-2.jpg

ckpt-3.jpg

Notching the canopy sill

canopynotch-1.jpg

Putty the gaps

canopy-putty.jpg

Edited by drhornii
nice job on the scab plates!

I think I went cross eyed making those. I made the pattern for my 1/32 kits and I reduced them for the 1/48 and cut the plates from .010 styrene. Afterburner plates would have saved that headache but its done!

Current progress on a long weekend.

Jakes book really helped get the details just right, as pointed out in the book. The back seat on the "D" model does not have a FLCS (box on LH side of seat, about shoulder height). I still need to add the pitot sensors on the seats, just afraid I will break them off like I kept doing with the radome pitot tube. Must keep those in a safe place! The radome is a resin copy made from a Tamiya kit and scratch built AOA probes.

Seatsnose.jpg

Here is the landing gear bay progress, the Aires set is really worth the $$

LG-bays-1.jpg

LG-bays-lh-1.jpg

LG-bays-rh-1.jpg

LG-bays-rh-2.jpg

Edited by drhornii
nice to see you painted in a maintenance free battery..

drPepper

It's what the 138th uses, before Jakes book, I was curious why our jets had orange batteries while other pictures showed blue batteries. Now I understand the reasoning....

BTW, Thanks to Tamiya for the battery decal, now I need a spare for when I build the Tamiya kit.

BTW, Thanks to Tamiya for the battery decal, now I need a spare for when I build the Tamiya kit.

I was going to ask where/how you got the battery decal. Now I know. I did not notice that decal on the Tamiya sheet. I'll have to go back and look for that. Nice work so far.

Maybe a certain decal company that likes to make F-16 markings sized for the Tamiya kit will be so kind to add one to their sheets? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by okthree

Wow, David! This is looking great. Really nice touch with the absent rear seat cushion. That is very common to see on the flightlines, but never done on a model. Great attention to detail!

nice to see you painted in a maintenance free battery..

Absolutely. One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a blue battery in a model of a modern jet. Or white HARMs.

Jake

Wow, David! This is looking great. Really nice touch with the absent rear seat cushion. That is very common to see on the flightlines, but never done on a model. Great attention to detail!

Absolutely. One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a blue battery in a model of a modern jet. Or white HARMs.

Jake

Interesting about the missing cushion, hard to tell in the pictures. Must be the white "velcro" that I have painted. I did not cut away any of the cushion, just painted the white lines....May have to change a few things.

Good to know these things now and good timing, just a swipe of flat black to cover up the white and simple fix.

Interesting about the missing cushion, hard to tell in the pictures. Must be the white "velcro" that I have painted. I did not cut away any of the cushion, just painted the white lines....May have to change a few things.

Good to know these things now and good timing, just a swipe of flat black to cover up the white and simple fix.

No, I meant, really, it is a nice job. That is exactly how they look. I wouldn't change a thing.

Jake

No, I meant, really, it is a nice job. That is exactly how they look. I wouldn't change a thing.

Jake

Thanks, was not sure. I will leave it, something not seen every day! Thanks for the compliments and thanks again for the ref materials. The day we were in the 138th hangar looking at the "D" model, the seat cushions then may have been green as shown here. Some photographer standing next to Krunch....

Dcockpit-3.jpg

Another shot of 89-2167

Dcrewchief.jpg

Some photographer standing next to Krunch....

Yeah seen that photographer around on our base as well,so much that our unit adopted him :D

All I can say is wow!I'm with Jake,I wouldn't change a thing!As a former crew chief that worked on F-16's for 14 years and as a modeler,your Viper build ranks up there as one of the nicest builds I've seen for the Hasegawa kit :worship: The extra touches you have added are totally awesome :coolio:

Absolutely. One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a blue battery in a model of a modern jet

Same here.Where did you get the markings for the battery?With the old blue ones we used there wasn't hardly any markings on them,which helped out modeling wise but it's awesome to see that you even added the touch of the battery stencils being applied.

I stuck my Vipers back in thier boxes but after seeing this build I may have to pull them back out!

Yeah seen that photographer around on our base as well,so much that our unit adopted him :taunt:

All I can say is wow!I'm with Jake,I wouldn't change a thing!As a former crew chief that worked on F-16's for 14 years and as a modeler,your Viper build ranks up there as one of the nicest builds I've seen for the Hasegawa kit :tease: The extra touches you have added are totally awesome :woo:

Same here.Where did you get the markings for the battery?With the old blue ones we used there wasn't hardly any markings on them,which helped out modeling wise but it's awesome to see that you even added the touch of the battery stencils being applied.

I stuck my Vipers back in thier boxes but after seeing this build I may have to pull them back out!

As long as it looks good, it will be left untouched. If I knew then what I know now.....I would probably grind the cushion down a little but the shoulder harness would be an issue overlapping the cushion.

It looks ok, judges will not know the difference and it's all good to me to leave it. Now the fuselage is almost wrapped up, on to other parts of the kit.

Hard to believe, with the release of Tamiya's F-16 kit, it really revealed the age of a Has kit, lots of work ahead!

Agreed on the Hasegawa kit but it's the only way to go for a F-16D,F-16A/B and earlier Blocks of the C at the moment,given the proper TLC it can come out looking fantastic like your Viper is.I plan on doing my Hasegawa kits as Block 30's and and a Block 25 unless Tamiya can surprise me and come out with a kit(or kits where you can cross kit and get what you want) that make those two Blocks,which I don't think they will anytime in the near future.

Current progress on a long weekend.

Seatsnose.jpg

Here is the landing gear bay progress, the Aires set is really worth the $$

LG-bays-rh-2.jpg

Man....that looks awesome David.

I can't wait to see this one finished....since I have a pretty good idea of what you have up your sleeve. This will be one awesome Viper.

Any chance you'll be bringing this to the meeting tomorrow night?

Man....that looks awesome David.

I can't wait to see this one finished....since I have a pretty good idea of what you have up your sleeve. This will be one awesome Viper.

Any chance you'll be bringing this to the meeting tomorrow night?

Doubt it, since we have pizza there, I do not want food stained fingers touching the model. One of my "rituals" is to wash hands before starting work on a model. In the past, I have had paint flake off due to oil or other residue on the model so only a sterile environment before paint is applied.