It's about FAC'n time

.50 cal and 20 mm weapons won't fit on the holes of the sponsons, it is only intended for the M60s

however, they can mount the 50 cals on the sponsons, but in a different config, and only one gun at a time for each sponson, as for the 20 mm, I believe they carry it in pods...

Edited by Hans

How can anyone not dig the Bronco. :(

Back when I was in High School and when you could do this, I was up at Wheeler AFS and saw two Broncos at the other side of the ramp. I simply drove the Camero over there and was all over those birds dreaming. One of the big experiences that "put me over the edge" for me to get my pilot's license.

After joining up I actually got an incentive ride in an OV-10A at George AFB. Other than the excellent visibility out of the cockpit, the props buzzin right outside the canopy and the pilot throwing that thing all over the sky, I'll never forget his pre-take off briefing. He said "on departure if we lose and engine, yer gonna hear me say eject two times...if you hear it a third time yer gonna be alone in the airplane". IIRC it was because by then they had de-rated the shaft horsepower so much due to the time on the engines that she wouldn't sustain climb on one.

The SUU 20MM pods were carried on the centerline hard station.

"Santa...please bring me a Bronco for Christmas...I promise I'll be good boy!"

And yes Grant, I promise to take you for a ride...you to Jon...maybe even get ya that type rating...wouldn't THAT look nice in the ol' logbook.

.50 cal and 20 mm weapons won't fit on the holes of the sponsons, it is only intended for the M60s

however, they can mount the 50 cals on the sponsons, but in a different config, and only one gun at a time for each sponson, as for the 20 mm, I believe they carry it in pods...

• 2 weeks later...
And yes Grant, I promise to take you for a ride...you to Jon...maybe even get ya that type rating...wouldn't THAT look nice in the ol' logbook.

ok... drooling on myself.... :)

Seriously though, I'm working on the Testors kit right now. The Missing Link cockpit really spruced it up nicely, but scratchbuilding the gear is a royal pain. I'll finish it some year...

This is the one I'm building. Major Ray Janes of the 504th TIS flew it in support of the 1/9th Cav in 1969, so it wears their markings. Cool stuff! I've gotta contact him to see if 683 ever flew with guns. They look faired over in all of the shots I've got of it.

vas016905.jpg

Edited by Cobrahistorian
How can anyone not dig the Bronco. :blink:

Blunt force head trauma maybe?

Awesome! Thanks Sal!

• 2 weeks later...

That's not the P.I. Those are at Korat R.T.A.F.B. in 1974. They were kept parked on the far end of the flightline in the same area as the EC-121s, JC-130s, HC-130s, AC-130s and F-105G Weasels.

Color shots to follow in a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys. I'm rickster25, a scale modeler and I would like to share a couple of OV-10A pics from the 16th AS, 15th SW. These Borncos have four propeller blades as part of the PAF improvements and is painted in a monotone dark ghost gray scheme. :)

DSC00494.jpg

and here am I, posing in the pilot's seat :D

DSC00493.jpg

• 3 months later...

Howdy all. I'm doing the Academy OV-10A in 1/72nd and will soon be near the point where I put all the fun stuff on the aircraft. The kit comes with a pretty decent selection of stores and I'd like to know what was a good representative load-out for a USAF Bronco in Viet Nam. I'm not doing any particular aircraft (using the kit decals, don't remember the specific tail that is done in the box) so I was planning on going with a common load. I understand it would vary, but the pictures I've seen in this thread seem to show lightly loaded OV-10s heading out, often just a couple of rocket pods. Was this common, or were they sometimes loaded up fully? My original plan was to do the tank on the centerline and four rocket pods on the sponsons, but the kit also comes with four Mk. 82 slicks.

The kit does also come with a couple of early model Sidewinders. Would I be correct in assuming that in reality these were probably not widely carried in Viet Nam?

Thanks for any info and thanks for the great thread here!

• 2 years later...
The OV-10 was an interesting aircraft. Here are a couple USMC ones.

OV-10A155407VMO-2ELP19791.jpg

OV-10A155407VMO-2ELP19792.jpg

OV-10A155454VMO-2ELP1991.jpg

Fire02.jpg

Fire01.jpg

wow !!! WOW !!!! WOW !!!

They are EXTRAORDINARY designed aircrafts....Like the Broncos..they look so COOL!!!

thank you Guys for posting your pics..

HOLMES :blink: :doh:

• 2 months later...
ok... drooling on myself.... :jaw-dropping:

Seriously though, I'm working on the Testors kit right now. The Missing Link cockpit really spruced it up nicely, but scratchbuilding the gear is a royal pain. I'll finish it some year...

This is the one I'm building. Major Ray Janes of the 504th TIS flew it in support of the 1/9th Cav in 1969, so it wears their markings. Cool stuff! I've gotta contact him to see if 683 ever flew with guns. They look faired over in all of the shots I've got of it.

vas016905.jpg

Are you doing the 1/48 Testors Bronco? If so where'd ya get the Missing Link cockpit?

They did not use OV-10Ds though (to my knowledge), so its interesting to see the VAL-4 scheme on that aircraft. I wonder if all the OV-10As had already been FMSed somewhere else when they went about trying to get one for the museum.

Edited by thatguy96
  • 2 years later...

Its an SUU-49/A dispenser, but its not clear what its markings necessarily are. Its mostly likely intended to represent the CBU-55/B, a combination of the SUU-49 dispenser with 3 BLU-73 FAE submunitions. This was a weapon used by VAL-4 in Vietnam.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...