Can anyone advise as to when the USAF started to switch over from the 3 tone to 2 tone camo for F-16's - and also whether all are now in the 2 tone scheme? I have a few planned so would like to get the details right!

Thanks in advance...

Can anyone advise as to when the USAF started to switch over from the 3 tone to 2 tone camo for F-16's - and also whether all are now in the 2 tone scheme? I have a few planned so would like to get the details right!

Thanks in advance...

If my memory serves me right, when the F-16 was delivered from the factory, they all had the 3 tone camo and after depot level repainting was it switched to two tone. I know they were 2 tone back in 1997 (138th FW birds) but not sure exactly when the switch was first made.

I am sure Jake can chime in on this one with the truth

All USAF Vipers left the factory with the 3-tone paint. As each jet went through depot or scheduled repaint, they began to receive the 2-tone in about 1995. By the late 1990's nearly all jets had received the new paint, except those relatively new machines that still wore the factory's paint. To this day, there are still Block 50s (mostly fy00 and later jets) that have yet to be re-painted and wear the original 3-tone.

The Tamiya painting guide is wrong for every jet on the decal sheet in 1/48 and 1/32.

Jake

Edited by jmel

Thanks guys - to be absolutely honest I didn't even realise until recently that they'd been repainted! I have a batch planned for early 2008 and want to make sure I get it right - I guess the only "right" answer is to resort to photographic evidence!

Jake - just picked up your F-16 walkaround to go with Viper Story #1 which I got a while ago. Absolutely fantastic stuff. HOWEVER - now you've got us salivating, when can we expect Viper Story #2? :explode:

Jake - just picked up your F-16 walkaround to go with Viper Story #1 which I got a while ago. Absolutely fantastic stuff. HOWEVER - now you've got us salivating, when can we expect Viper Story #2? :explode:

Thanks! Part II will be ready over the summer. I'm flying with a unit next week for air-air photos, and I'll get the last two units I need in January.

Jake

F-16C 87-234 in the 115 FW special scheme (red fin) - pretty sure this was 3 tone

F-16C 86-244 in the 192 FW special scheme (blue nose) - this appears to be 2 tone?

Correct on both accounts.

Jake

I can remember the 465th TFS flying block 10 A models out of Tinker AFB in the early 90's with the 2 tone scheme. You could notice it when they would come over to practice flame out approaches and two F-16's would be several thousand feet up. One would have the 3 tone the other 2 tone. The 465th, an AFRES squadron went to KC-135's in April 1994.

Terry

Not trying to hijack the post, but it is related. So are the two tone birds painted with gunship grey and neutral grey? Or is the Light Ghost grey used? I still can't figure it out. Just want to make my build correctly. Thanks! :)

Brandon

Its not that complex, there is just bad info out there in the Tamiya kit instructions that leads people astray sometimes, which in reality is kinda irritating considering what those kits retail for, especially 1/32.

You normally just need a decent shot of the jet you want to do.

It all depends on where Tamiya gets it data from. LM probably provided them with 3 tone paint scheme data and they went with that.

The guy who did their boxtop art got it right interestingly enough.

The 32nd box art is wrong, though, isn't it? I don't have a box near me to check.

Brandon, yes, 36375 is deleted on the 2-tone.

Jake

Everything about the 1/32 kit is jacked.

Yes, but fortunately it is not too terribly expensive, so I don't mind a few mistakes.

Plus, there are so many aftermarket decal choices, especially for Guard Vipers.

Jake

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

A few ANG/AFRes (at the time) Vipers had the two-tone paint scheme in 1992/93.

87-0250 and 87-0338 from the 466th FS / 419th FW at Hill AFB, UT were both painted in two-tone colors when deployed to Incirlik AB, Turkey in late 1993. This 11-aircraft deployment, by the way, went directly from Turkey to Aviano AB, Italy for "Deny Flight" operations in early 1994.

Greetings,

Henrik.