aircraftresourcecente

I think the moderators are being a little lenient waiting for the armor version of the site to go live. Plus, a think a little is tolerated as a diversion from some of the members from all of the F-14s and F-16s. Ultimately, it's their call regardless of what someone else believes is "right".

Remember, you don't have to look at pictures of AFVs. If the title of a thread references an AFV, you have the option to not open it and move on.

1) Many folks here build not only aircraft, but armor, automotive, ships, etc.

2) Many folks here only build aircraft, but enjoy looking at models of other subjects.

3) There are no rules stating that only aircraft can be featured in the Critique Corner. It clearly states to post pics of your models.

I'm one of those who posts armor builds here in the Critique Corner. I'm primarily an aircraft builder, but enjoy building armor as well. It's for the above three reasons that I will continue to do so, at least until the Armor Resource Center goes live.

Happy Modelling.

:blink:

EDIT: Snarky part of post removed. I quit smoking today, and I'm a little irritable.

Edited by smithery
I'm one of those who posts armor builds here in the Critique Corner. I'm primarily an aircraft builder, but enjoy building armor as well. It's for the above three reasons that I will continue to do so, at least until the Armor Resource Center goes live.

Does that mean I can post pictures of my latest knitted tea cosy while I wait for knitted tea cosy resource center?

If Armour, then why not everything else? If everything else, then why the title of the forum?

I'm not against people discussing or even showing their work, perhaps there is scope for it in the General Discussion forum? I don't know, but I think there has to be a point at which the church of ARC is broad enough, I guess decided by the mods, and I don't know what that point is.

Really though, its not something that needs acrimony, its an exchange of views and I don't see the need for a semi aggressive "stand off" every time someone voices an opinion someone else disagrees with.

I get the impression sometimes that there is a bit too much self righteousness around.

I did a quick look back at the recent forum submissions and found a grand total of two armor models, so don't think the boards are about to be overrun by the treaded hordes. I'm all for being inclusive: the more aircraft, armor, space, figures, you name it, the better.

Just my two cents.

Edited by david sMiGielski
Does that mean I can post pictures of my latest knitted tea cosy while I wait for knitted tea cosy resource center?

If Armour, then why not everything else? If everything else, then why the title of the forum?

I'm not against people discussing or even showing their work, perhaps there is scope for it in the General Discussion forum? I don't know, but I think there has to be a point at which the church of ARC is broad enough, I guess decided by the mods, and I don't know what that point is.

Really though, its not something that needs acrimony, its an exchange of views and I don't see the need for a semi aggressive "stand off" every time someone voices an opinion someone else disagrees with.

I get the impression sometimes that there is a bit too much self righteousness around.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, if your latest knitted tea cosy qualifies as a model, then yes, please fell free to post it. Rules of the Road allow for posting of pics of models for critique.

Other sites have rules where pics of "non-relevant" material can be posted, and I personally find that aspect to be somewhat exclusionary. This site does not (at least not yet). I find the all-inclusive aspect of ARC to be what draws me to this site everyday.

As Dave politely mentioned (he's a better person than I) in the first response, if the title eludes to an armor subject, or any other subject you don't find interesting, you have the choice not to click on it. Personally, I like to check out everyone's work, as their building and finishing methods will definitely interest me, even if the subject matter does not.

:banana:

I find it somewhat ironic that on an aircraft modeling site someone is complaining about the posting of armor models when we're treated to daily postings about divorces, jobs problems, school problems, medical & health problems, girlfriends (and lack there of), politics, international relations, business woes, personal vehicles (or lack there of), pets, sports, new additions to the family, deletions from the family, family complaining about the stash/amount of time spent on the hobby, homes, home repairs, home disrepair, government, government policy, lack of government policy, firearms, - well you get the idea.

The way I look at it is we're all hanging out here because of a common interest - aircraft modeling. Some of us carry that interest into other fields - aviation photography, patch collecting, aviation art, modeling of other subjects, etc. As such, they are at least connected in some way to our common interest and are at least relevant, unlike Bob's last case of hemeroids or the fact that Jack's wife won't let him watch Croatian sitcoms on PBS.

So, just to go along with this (or perhaps stoke the fire) here is a picture of the last model I actually competed even though it doesn't fly. Or at least not without a lot of effort.

Cheers,

Sean

Tug1.jpg

Jes, seeing that you mostly build WWII stuff, why don't you go look at that on Hyperscale? :banana: They've got a far higher proportion of props than ARC. And while doing so sparing us your quasi-"attacks" on the guys that occasionally, really, once in a blue moon, post pics of their armour subjects.

Really, I'm stumped. I can't see why the very seldom post of an armour subject would necessitate such a thread? :D

Dave's advice is probably the best: If you don't want to look at armour on ARC, then don't. Nobody forces you to!

Sorry if this came across as a bit heavy-handed, I'm just stumped. The first paragraph was meant to be a bit sarcastic. Of course I wouldn't want you to leave. I was just a bit riled.

Recently i have seen more AFV several places in this forum, I do not think that is right, there is a very good forum for AFV

http://www.missing-lynx.com/

wich i use when i what to look at AFV's.

So moderators please stop this pratice

cheers

Jes

Jes

I have built mainly aircraft models for the last 28 years. During that time I would divert for "in between" projects of either armour, SciFi, ships or figures.

At the moment I cannot bring myself to make a model aircraft and am enjoying a change of pace with armour.

Do you suggest I leave ARC while I take this path as if I am an outcast? Does that mean my lady wife Lori, an accomplished figure painter must relinquish her ARC membership because she does not build aircraft models?

For every armour build posted in critique or in-progress, there are dozens more aircraft builds that undoubtedly interest you more, so simply hit the back space and head over to a thread that is more interesting to you.

I happen to like all aspects of my hobby and like looking at non aircraft models that all ARC members build. It would be a dull, boring and staid world for me if I was any different.

:worship:

MikeJ

Recently i have seen more AFV several places in this forum, I do not think that is right, there is a very good forum for AFV

http://www.missing-lynx.com/

wich i use when i what to look at AFV's.

So moderators please stop this pratice

cheers

Jes

I think this a pretty unfair post :P . I mainly build aircraft and maybe the odd ship. I also do real street rods and have posts pics of my latest in the discussion forum from time to time :worship: That said, I have no issues seeing a tanks, Boat, Sub, car etc posted here from time to time and not just from the folks who are regulars but anyone. If it bugs you to see it, don't open the thread? Everyone here is interested in Aircraft or they wouldn't be here right? Comments like this are un-necessary, provocative, and somewhat insulting to regulars here like Smithery and Mike.

Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

Edited by ron
Before this gets locked -down I would just like to say......."I like pointy things".

I just thought you would like to know that. Carry on as if you were normal. :D

You mean to say that this;

final-emil-15.jpg

is not pointy enough for you?

:P

nice tug in your country :D

and this:

:P :thumbsup::worship:

I find it somewhat ironic that on an aircraft modeling site someone is complaining about the posting of armor models when we're treated to daily postings about divorces, jobs problems, school problems, medical & health problems, girlfriends (and lack there of), politics, international relations, business woes, personal vehicles (or lack there of), pets, sports, new additions to the family, deletions from the family, family complaining about the stash/amount of time spent on the hobby, homes, home repairs, home disrepair, government, government policy, lack of government policy, firearms, - well you get the idea.

The way I look at it is we're all hanging out here because of a common interest - aircraft modeling. Some of us carry that interest into other fields - aviation photography, patch collecting, aviation art, modeling of other subjects, etc. As such, they are at least connected in some way to our common interest and are at least relevant, unlike Bob's last case of hemeroids or the fact that Jack's wife won't let him watch Croatian sitcoms on PBS.

So, just to go along with this (or perhaps stoke the fire) here is a picture of the last model I actually competed even though it doesn't fly. Or at least not without a lot of effort.

Cheers,

Sean

I think this a pretty unfair post :P . I mainly build aircraft and maybe the odd ship. I also do real street rods and have posts pics of my latest in the discussion forum from time to time :D That said, I have no issues seeing a tanks, Boat, Sub, car etc posted here from time to time and not just from the folks who are regulars but anyone. If it bugs you to see it, don't open the threat? Everyone here is interested in Aircraft or they wouldn't be here right? Comments like this are un-necessary, provocative, and somewhat insulting to regulars here like Smithery and Mike.

Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

While I only do aircraft, there are modeling techniques to both learn from and admire with other modeling subjects.

I am no regular but I agree 100% with Ron here, if you don't like it then don't look at it. But don't try to prevent others from seeing it.

I would like to add my 2 cents to this. Some may take offense and say that I, with not that much longevity here or a ton of accumulated posts, don't even have the right to state an opinion here, and I'm truly sorry if you feel that way. I am not making this post to be provocative or offensive, I'm not looking to start a flame war (or to add to one if this thread is considered "flaming"). I am posting this opinion in the spirit of offering what may be a different perspective, another point of view that perhaps some have not considered. I hold no ill will toward anyone here, appreciate what I see here everyday, and will make no additional comments on this subject.

With respect to the poster who started this thread, I basically agree with him--after all, this site is called AIRCRAFT Resource Center, and that stated title is specifically why I visit here. If I want to see tanks, ships, vehicles, tea cozies, etc, I go elsewhere--gladly.

That said, I do believe the gentleman who started this thread could have been a bit more diplomatic in his wording.

Here is the reason why I believe ARC should stick to its stated subject matter:

Many years ago I belonged to a popular model club. At that time I used to attend 4 different clubs on a regular basis and this particular club was the best. The vast majority of the members were exclusively, or primarily aircraft modelers, though there was no rule limiting the subject matter to aircraft models. There were guys who would build other stuff, and that was always welcome too. It was above all a fun club, no one was excluded or made to feel left out if they didn't build aircraft. Then one month, 2 car modelers showed up. They were welcomed with open arms and made to feel right at home--everyone could appreciate the skills and techniques which went into their models, and they were nice guys. At the next month's meeting, those 2 car modelers brought some more of their buddies--also car modelers. And so it went for the next several months--more and more car modelers joined, and since they naturally had their own special interests, as more and more of them showed up, there was less and less need to mingle/share with the rest of the club. The members from the original club missed the close camaraderie and the common language which used to bring the club together into one close knit organization. Soon the car modelers were in a majority and it was like there were 2 different meetings going on in that room--one for car modelers and one for the other guys. The car guys dominated the display space on the tables, and some rude car guys actually booed when a well respected aviation photographer was brought in to make a presentation. It was around this time that many of the original members (and I) decided to leave--the club no longer met our needs and was no longer fun. It was a very sad ending for what had been a unique and vibrant organization.

I am all for diversity and equal rights, but when it comes to an organization which exists for a stated specific purpose, such as AIRCRAFT Resource Center, it just doesn't seem right, nor make much sense to begin to roam too far from that focus. If you decided to subscribe to a well known aviation magazine, would you be happy if it switched focus to another subject? Or how many of you have gone through the experience of having a favorite radio station which suddenly changes format to something you have little or no interest in?

It's that focus, that shared sense of interest, the depth of knowledge, that common language we all share which makes ARC so great.

Thank you to those of you who were able to read and understand this in the spirit in which it was offered.

Peace,

Karl

I like the occasional piece of armor!

Frederick1.jpg

So long as they don't start allowing car models, I'm fine with variety!

:D

I haven't seen one of those kits in years. I used to love building those.

I can't remember who brought them out? can you still buy them?

Okay... here comes $0.02 from the Peanut Gallery.

I've been building for 37 (holy crap!!!) years. In that time I've discovered that for the most part, Armor guys build armor - PERIOD! Ship guys build ships - PERIOD! Car guys build cars - PERIOD! Aircraft guys like to dabble.

My stash is primarily aircraft; but inb it you will also find cars (Indy types - they're like aircraft that go on roads), armor (I love Abrams and Shermans), Sci-fi, figures and finally ships. When I take a break from aircraft I enjoy having the other stuff around. This is what makes aircraft builders unique. Oh sure, you will find the occasional treadhead that will hammer out one prop or jet once in a while. But my experience at IPMS, it was a rare event to see armor, car or ship types venture out of their realm. And that's the "plane" truth.

At ARC Steve and the mods echo what I've already come to see.

Randy

I LIKE Armor and all other types of models.

Steve Bamford

ARC Owner

Good enough for me, as I'm just a guest. Your house, your rules. :P

I would like to add my 2 cents to this. Some may take offense and say that I, with not that much longevity here or a ton of accumulated posts, don't even have the right to state an opinion here

(snip)

Thank you to those of you who were able to read and understand this in the spirit in which it was offered.

Peace,

Karl

Karl, you should never apologize for offering an opinion, as that is your right. While I may not agree with everything you wrote (and that is my right), I respect a well thought out and well written argument.

I too belong to a couple of different clubs. One is dedicated to armor, and the other is "all inclusive" (IPMS). Oddly enough, it is mainly the aircraft guys who are building and showing their models at the local IPMS club, with the odd automotive and ship thrown in for a bit of a mix. It is sadly becoming a rareity to see an armor subject on the tables each month. That's why I got to club#2 (plus it's another night out with my "modelling geek" friends).

Personally, I like the variety. I find the techniques used in the various subject matter is highly cross-functional, so I like to expose myself to as much as I can. In the end, all I want to become is a better builder.

Happy Modelling.

:D

its threads like this that make me just want to post about 30 armor models. but since i don't have 30 finished armor models, i'll post my latest finished MODEL (which oddly enough is made of the same styrene substance as the f-18 i'm working on.... hmmmm). it's not a plane but it's my very first commision build. i'm proud of it and i'd like to show it to my aircraft loving friends here, if you don't like non-aircraft models, don't look!!! but if it makes you feel any better, just imagine that it's loaded full of miniature model aircraft kits on the way to your house.

WARNING!!! the following is a non-aircraft subject, the potential for harm is great. view at your own risk. you have been warned.

truckquarter.jpg

Edited by niart17
WARNING!!! the following is a non-aircraft subject, the potential for harm is great. view at your own risk. you have been warned.

truckquarter.jpg

My eyes!!! My eyes, oh god my eyes. Heeeellllllppppp meeeee a green truck, my eeeyyyeeess!!!

My eyes!!! My eyes, oh god my eyes. Heeeellllllppppp meeeee a green truck, my eeeyyyeeess!!!

you weren't using the special "non-aircraft" glasses were you?!?!? ;) if i were you i'd seek professional help immediately. if you hurry, the damage may only be temporary.

Bill