Hawker "Seahawk" FGA Mk6

I just picked this one up and can't wait to get started on it. I originally planned on building a "Sea Fury" first however I'm waiting for a few after market bits I ordered to spiff it up a bit to arrive. So I thought I would get started on this.

seahawk_mk6_bld1.jpg

I'm planning on doing the middle scheme. WV918/230-Z-B, 810 Sqn. HMS Albion, 1956 during the Suez Crisis

seahawk_mk6_bld2.jpg

Here's the rest of what's in the box.

seahawk_mk6_bld3.jpg

It looks to be a nice little kit. The wing folds look a bit simplistic though. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to fold the wings or not.

I'll post some progress pix soon.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks guys!

waiting to see what your opinion of the kit is before i decide whether or not to get one for myself :banana:

Anthony,

My first impression is that this is a very nice kit. I am by means knowledgeable about how accurately this model depicts a Hawker Seahawk Mk6. Although I'm quite sure others around here can speak to that issue. But from a modelers perspective this seems to be one of Trumpy's better efforts. Gone is the silly rivet detail that plagues my Panther kit. After an initial dry fit everything seemed to fit together quite well, except I'm a little concerned at how the tail assembly will line up with the rest of the fuselage. We'll see how it progresses.

The cockpit is coming along quite smoothly.

seahawk_mk6_bld5.jpg

The assembly of the seat included 10 parts :banana: ........and the seat belts seem a bit thin to me though.

seahawk_mk6_bld4.jpg

I've also started assembly of the nose gear well.

seahawk_mk6_bld6.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks,

Mark

I managed to finish painting the front office.

seahawk_mk6_bld9.jpg

seahawk_mk6_bld11.jpg

seahawk_mk6_bld12.jpg

I'm not all that thrilled about those seat belts though, they look anorexic. :o

I think I'll replace it with a Pavla resin seat once I can get my hands on one. Other than that I pleased with it.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hector. Your right about the seat. It had to go. I've since replaced it with a resin one from Pavla, and what a significant improvement it is too.

I've managed to get the two forward fuselage halves glued together and then that was attached to the tail section. The tricky bit was the around the exhaust pipes, but considering the complexity of the engineering of this kit it all went together pretty well. Once I cleaned up the seams with some sanding sticks everything blended together nicely and think I will need very little filler on this one.

seahawk_mk6_bld14.jpg

Up next. The wing sections. I'm still debating, to fold or not to fold the wings.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

The fuselage and wings have been primed and readied for painting. I've been told that the invasion stripe decals do not line up very well. So I decided to paint the yellow on and am thinking about cutting out the black stripes from the decals and trying to see if I get them to work and spare myself the masking, If not then I'll mask the black stripes.

seahawk_mk6_bld15.jpg

Once I've masked the yellow areas I'll preshade and spray the Sky on.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guy's,

Well here I am so far with this bird. I finally managed to get some painting done. Since my last post I learned that the Suez stripes were painted on with a mop.

seahawk_mk6_bld16.jpg

I'm conflicted about how to paint the stripes. Go for the more accurate sloppy mop applied look, or the clean, crisp, better looking but not so accurate masked stripes? I love the clean smooth lines of this plane and worry that the sloppy Suez stripes might take away from that look.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

very nice work so far :-)

Thank you!

A bit of progress has been made this last week. The black stripes have been painted on and the whole thing was sealed with a clear coat in preparation for Phil Flory's Promodeller's wash. This was followed by another clear coat and then the decals.

seahawk_mk6_bld18.jpg

I still need to paint the wing stripes.

seahawk_mk6_bld17.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed with the decals though, while they were very thin and settled down nicely, the roundels are not quite the right color in my opinion( the blue is too bright) and they are translucent. I should have anticipated this and masked the area the roundels were to go to prevent that see through effect. Oh well, live and learn.

seahawk_mk6_bld19.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Thanks Rocat!

A quick update.

The Pavla Ejection seat is ready to go. Quite a significant improvement over the kit supplied one.

seahawk_mk6_bld20.jpg

The rest of the stripes have been painted and decals have been applied. I'm just about ready to seal everything with a clear coat. Then all the fiddely bits such as antennas and the nose gear doors.

seahawk_mk6_bld21.jpg

The end of this project is in sight. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking,

Mark

BIG difference with the ejection seat!! its amazing what a piece of resin will do to the look of a model. Keep up the good work

sean

You ain't kidding Sean. The Pavla seat makes a huge difference to the overall look of the kit. I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...