Revell 1/72 F-104C

I seem to remember that Revell put out a 1/72 F-104C a few years ago. Was it a new mold? If so, did they have the correct early wheel hubs without the spokes? Does anyone know of a sprue shot or decent kit review?

I'm using the using the old ESCI F-104C as a guide to convert the Hasegawa CF-104. The CF's rear RHAW bumps are very similar to those installed on the later camoflaged F-104Cs seen at Ubon RTAFB. I'll be using the ESCI refueling probe, too.

The Thai based F-104Cs also had a block shaped RHAW housing under the nose. They seem to have been installed some time after they arrived in Thailand. Early photos of Camo F-104Cs don't have them. They were also removed after returning to the US in 1968. The PRANG F-104Cs didn' t have the bumps. I've seen only one photo of a PRANG F-104C with the RHAW bumps and I believe that it had just arrived from SEA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Grant Matsuoka

The Revell F-104 is an accurate one. It is not an re-issue F-104 of Hasagawa or other. It builds up very good. Bad thing is that the Canopy is a one piece, which I feel should have been three parts to get an open office and give an look inside. Also this model is cheap for such accurate model! :thumbsup:

I don't know of any pics or reviews, but I do know it has the correct wheels you're seeking. I built one of the ESCI kits a long while back and I believe I used the wheels out of Hasegawa's F-20 kit (maybe the X-29?) as they were the closest I could find at the time. It wasn't long after I finished the kit that the Revell -104C kit was released and I got a look at one in my local shop... was about fit to be tied that they got the wheels correct for it when I'd just robbed the F-20 wheels for my previous build! ;)

J.C.,

Thank you for that information. Now I really regret not getting one or more when I had the chance. I'm sure that some day, it will reappear.

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by gmat

This is an outstanding kit, with engraved detail and fits very well - I don't think I needed any filler. As Eric2020 said, its too bad that the canaopy cannot be posed open as this kit also has a fully detailed cockpit with raised instrument panel detail - very rare for 1/72.

Anyone know of pictures or a review?

Grant,

Lots of reviews of this excellent kit out there like this and this one - just Google something like "Revell 1/72 F-104 review" . Monogram released the same basic kit in the US -- also as a two seater.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Thank you, Gene.

I haven't seen those two reviews before. The second one doesn't have the sprue shots anymore. I have seen sprue shots for a Revell TF-104G and from what you said, think that this is based on the same kit. If so, it has only one set of wheels. Sigh.... I didn't go down far enough when I googled it. I'm modifying the excellent Hasegawa kit.

Thanks again,

Grant

Hello Grant,

I am a big fan of Starfighter and I believe Revell F-104 is even better than Hasegawa option. ESCI kit is an old mold but aside from its shortcomings it is still a nice representative of the Starfighter.

You are right about the RHAW Bumps they are included with correct wheels and refueling probe as well in Revell Kit,

Here is a picture of Revell kit, other three starfighters are ESCI kits.

Best

OMER ERKMEN

From TURKEY

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0291.jpg

I have seen sprue shots for a Revell TF-104G and from what you said, think that this is based on the same kit. If so, it has only one set of wheels

Correct, the 'C wheels are in the 'C kit only. Revells (T)F-104G kits only have the later wheels, with the large tyres and bulged main gear doors as per Luftwaffe configuration.

Cheers,

Andre