There are so many nice Spitfires here, the GB really doesn't need mine. But I want to put MDC Vc wings to some use finally - I bought them who knows how may years ago. I'll also use Eduard Zoom PE set, Ultracast propeller blades and their control surfaces (if I can find them; I know I bought them :wacko:).

I'll build Tamiya kit as 603 Sqn machine coded U-2, serial BR 124, as launched for Malta from USS Wasp. Judging by the pictures of this machine as well as others from the same operation, it had four cannons which implies wide gun bay blisters. Five-spoked wheels. 90 gallon slipper tank. It was built by Spitfire, which means de Havilland propeller - I'll have to buy Ultracast item for the blades. I don't see 'cheese slicer' wires in the picture, but since every Spit until mid-43 is supposed to have had it, I'll probably put them in.

Did a bit of work in the cockpit. Am not very happy with the wash, I'll have to fix it.

DSCF2256.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

MDC wings seem OK for the most part, although they have wheel bulges, which I think were absent on C wing. Detail is not as crisp as on Tamiya parts, some lines would definitely benefit from being retraced. Another strange (to me anyway) thing are faint blister outlines on both top and bottom surfaces. They are positioned where B blisters would be, and although much smaller I'm suspecting they are leftovers from converting B wing to C. They don't show well in my pictures, but you can make out faint line on the left of both blisters - if you squint really hard :o.

Edit: Better wing pictures below. I gave them the same names as the old ones, so you might have to do Ctrl-F5 (IE, Fierfox) to refresh them.

Edited by ch9862

Here are better pictures of the wings. I put dark brown wash so that panel lines show better in the photos. If you don't see wash in the panel lines, refresh the page (Ctrl-F5).

DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2260.jpg

I also touched up interior wash; some halos to remove, but looks better to my eye.

DSCF2273.jpg

Thanks for the comment on the panel, I wish I could take credit for it, but it's all Eduard :).

Well... I started work on the wings by chopping off parts of the kit wings, and fitting MDC parts. Fit on top is kind of iffy, and worse on bottom. There is approx. 1mm missing at the leading and trailing edges; I'm sure this was caused by resin shrinkage. Trailing edge is relatively easy to fix, leading less so. In addition I'd need to shave wheel bumps off, fix panel lines (some of which I don't like) and what's left of original bumps. And make sure I get dihedral right :wacko:.

So I decided it's too much for me right now.

I'm sure it would be easier to convert kit wings to C standard, and not to have to deal with fit issues; which might be unique to my copy of resin parts BTW. Since I don't have another Tamiya Spit in my stash, I've shelved the project for now :(.

• 1 month later...

After having recovered from the disappointment, I thought I'd see what can be done to salvage the project. I cut one wing in half, inserted strip of plastic and glued it back.

DSCF2455.jpg

Here's wingtip before...

DSCF2456.jpg

... and after

DSCF2459.jpg

I wish the strip was a bit thicker, but even as is, it's close to fitting pretty well both the wingtip and fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement, nothing's been easy with this model. Wings turned out to have crossection problems as well, which was highlighted after I glued them onto the fuselage.

DSCF2479.jpg

DSCF2480.jpg

Underside is way too flat, esp. on the port wing. Really disappointing. I'll probably use epoxy putty to mask these flaws.

I'm so not looking forwards to that :thumbsup:...

So... blending in wing / fuselage connection turned out to be relatively easy. Here's underside

DSCF2485.jpg

Blisters are not very accurate, esp. in profile. I have since filed their tops off.

DSCF2484.jpg

They did not conform to wing surface either, I had to use Mr. Surfacer to eliminate seams.

DSCF2489.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for kind words.

I partially painted the airframe, put some decals on, and masked them.

DSCF2519.jpg

Looks pretty weird :worship:.

Edited by ch9862

And here it is painted with some gray-blueish paint. I mixed dark sea gray and dark blue to get the color, then darkened it a little with black. Came out still a bit lighter than I expected.

DSCF2524.jpg

DSCF2525.jpg

And I'm done - finally!

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2557.jpg

DSCF2558.jpg

DSCF2559.jpg

DSCF2561.jpg

Can't say I'm very happy with the top color - it's too light, and too blue for my taste - but could be worse. It's a little better in person (not as vivid) - apparently my camera tweaked the colors a little. Model would benefit from more weathering (to reflect haphazard application of top color, not extensive use), but that's beyond my abilities right now.

I'm happy I managed to finish the model somehow. Phew! Thanks to everyone for encouragement - I do appreciate it :o.

Out of curiosity, I went through my books to learn more about the airframe. It was evidently made by Supermarine, first flown on March 25, 1942. Presumably finished in Temperate Land scheme, which I read as OG/DG/Sky. Desert camo (DE/MS) was probably applied in MU, before aircraft was loaded onto USS Wasp for delivery to Malta as part of Operation Calendar. Dark blue/gray (or should I say grey :worship:) was then applied on top surfaces aboard the carrier.

During Operation Calendar, 50 Spitfires were to be flown to Malta. 47 were actually launched on April 20, 1942 (remaining three apparently arriving at a later date). Of these 50:

• 3 were destroyed on April 20
  • 20 more destroyed by April 28
  • 20 more destroyed by May 21

That's 43 out of 50 destroyed one month after the arrival. Only 5 remained in service by October 17, 1942.

As to reasons for their destruction:

• 20 were shot down by enemy fighters
  • 23 damaged beyond repair (including 13 as a result of air raids)
  • 2 struck off charge for unknown reasons

BR124 (if that's true serial of U-2) was damaged during air raid on April 28, 1942, and never flown again.

Lovely finish, really did the kit justice.

As for the top colour, I don't think it's too dark at all. It's hard to find references for these birds in colour (for obvious reasons!), but there's definitely a wide range of opinions on what the top colour should be. Mine ended up a bit darker than that, but that was purely chance.

Once again, great build, and it's nice to have another Maltese Spit in the finished builds. :banana: