The mighty F-4 Phantoms

i remember as a kid, living at elmendorf AFB, Alaska, watching the alert F-4E Phantoms take off into the sky chasing the "Big,Bad,Bears" away. Looking at the smoke trail, the lit afterburners wink out and the smell of the JP-4 blow by...... ahh, the good ole days... :D

does anyone know if their are 1/48 scale team target Heritage flight decals available? i already have the two bob decal... thanks in advance

Edited by adamitri
Their existing QF-4G is a pilotless target drone. It's a remote controlled "disposable" plane used for firing live missiles.

It can also be manned when necessary. I hope the USAF keep it in the Heritage Flight - the F-4 is a really important aircraft in USAF history.

• 1 month later...

I believe that Two Bobs is now considering three new releases featuring the Heritage Flight QF-4Es at Tyndall and Holloman (TD and HD respectively). My recent visit to Holloman also revealed a surprising drone scheme on the ramp. Your observations and speculations are invited. PHANTOMS PHOREVER!

In the event the photo does not appear along with this message, go to:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/oyst...tos/QFTiger.jpg

Ahhhh, worked 'em for two years at Spang. I have the scars(phantom bites) on my hands to prove it. When they were taking off, you couldn't talk to the person next to you or on the phone and the whole base paused. LOL

Poor guys who had barracks over by the trim pad...sheesh.

But, definitely a plane that meant business...on the ground and in the air. Hard to believe that out of the 5,000 plus built, there are but a handful of them flying in the US... Other nations...well...hat's off for keeping 'em up.

RS

Oh yes . . .I was a weapons tech on 17 sqdn. based at RAF Bruggen in the early 70's, and I think the F G R 2 [Or F-4M] was even noisier than the F-4D/E , especially as they had 2 dirty great Rolls Royce Speys fitted ! I had many an evening's recreation drowned out with their night flying activities . . .happy days, though !

:cheers::cheers:

First airshow I remember going to was at Whidbey Island in the early 70's

Saw the Blues fly the Phantom there.

Ever since I have been hooked on aviation.

Much to my step fathers displeasure I went into the USAF instead for the USN

William G

Hi,

The F4 is my favourite aircraft and remember the last years of service by the RAF and they are now sadly missed. I dropped in on RAF Valley on a summer's day on the chance of seeing something other than BAE Hawks. On arriving at the viewing point I saw two F-4 FGR2's taxing along the apron getting ready for take off. I knew what to expect I don't think that the group of holidaymakers whom were also watching were prepared for what was to come. The 2 F4's took off coming towards us with full reheat on and on leaving the run way kept low and did a gentle bank to fly over the spectators. When they past over head they would have been getting on for around a hundred foot the noise was incredible with every atom in my body shaking from the noise truly a thunderous sound. I don't think the holidaymaker’s appreciated it though, but to me in was fantastic.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by MarkGriffiths