IWATA Airbrushes

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new airbrush. Everyone pretty much advises me to go for one of the Iwata new generation airbrushes....trouble is, which one is best ?. I am, by no means, a master modeller but I would like something that will meet most if not all of my requirements. I mainly model in 1:48th and larger now although the odd 1:72 project still beckons. I need to be able to do nice camouflage, overall silver etc...the full gambit... so need reasonable control. To date, I have limited myself to relatively simple Badger and Aztec brushes but want to move up a notch. Budget is not too tight but I do not want to end up with something that cost mega-bucks with functions I may never use....Any ideas ?

Many thanks

Tigerfan112 :D

I have the Iwata Revolution CR and it's the best brush I've ever used. It's not very expensive either.

I second that. Got a Revolution CR a couple of months ago and I've been really pleased with it - easy to use, great results, good price.

Got mine at Dixie Art (www.dixieart.com).

Hi there..

that's depend also on your budget. If you already familiar with airbrush and have a considerebly budget, get an IWATA Ecslipse series ... The revolution series is a good start and a good airbrush. Seen them in action but never used one.. i own IWATA CS it's a good airbrush too..

if you have unlimited budget and wanna go for the best, get their HP lines or the Custom Micron which they said the Ferrari of Airbrush..

my 2 cents

The CS is a very good brush.

You can also look at the Badger 360.

I would look at getting the .20 nozzle and needle so that you can do very fine lines. Just be really carefull with the switch overs so as not to mix parts or damage.

I also like the preset handle to add extra control.

Let us know what you get.

I bought the Revolution about a year ago, and man it was a big improvemnet over my Badger 150. Much easier to clean, and the quality of the spray patter was so much better. I have been very pleased with it. I do plan on also getting eclipse or better just to spray the real fine line for Luftwaffe projects.

Go for the Eclipse Kustom:

Larger paint cup

Pre-set handle

Better trigger

Air filter

Teflon packing

You can look it up here:

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbru...om/kcs_info.jsp

I sold my HP-C (.3mm needle) and my Aztek and bought two of this so that I will always have one clean and ready to go. The Eclipse Kustom has a .35 needle which to me makes a great difference when spraying some acrylic paints. Also, if you look at the parts schematics, the fluid nozzle is not threaded, which is easier and faster to clean.

I also do have a Revolution. It is great for spraying high volumes of paint like primers, future or final coats. For its price it is a great buy!

Good luck!

Jose

While I no longer actively use my HP-C, this comment caught my attention:

The Eclipse Kustom has a .35 needle which to me makes a great difference when spraying some acrylic paints.
I currently use two H&S brushes, one is the Infinity, the other is the Evolution. While I am not trying to suggest the H&S in lieu of the Iwata, I do want to comment that I find the .2mm tip is the one I use most often with my brushes (and I use nothing but acrylics). The .4mm is too coarse for really fine applications, and, if I thin them properly, I can use Gunze, Tamiya, and Xtracrilix acrylics with a .15mm tip.

Greetings,

As an owner of several Iwata's, a Peak and a H & S Evolution, I say go for the Evolution 2 in 1. Much better airbrush. I am not saying that the Iwata's are bad, just saying that the H & S is better. Much better feel, quicker disassembly for cleaning and you can remove the needle from the front of the airbrush which I feel is better than pulling the dirty needle back through the body. Neither the Iwata or H & S will make you spray any better, only experience and lots of practice can do that. The H & S is just a better tool to help make you good.

My $.02,

Chuc B.

Edited by CBREEZE
While I no longer actively use my HP-C, this comment caught my attention: I currently use two H&S brushes, one is the Infinity, the other is the Evolution. While I am not trying to suggest the H&S in lieu of the Iwata, I do want to comment that I find the .2mm tip is the one I use most often with my brushes (and I use nothing but acrylics). The .4mm is too coarse for really fine applications, and, if I thin them properly, I can use Gunze, Tamiya, and Xtracrilix acrylics with a .15mm tip.

I am happy for you. In contrast, I was never able to get any steady paint flow on my HP-C with Acryl, PS or Xtracrilix. In contrast, I love my Kustom CS, which gives me the most consistent paint flow, great atomization and fine lines. In contrast, my Iwata Revolution is more like a high flow airbrush given a .5mm tip.

As said above, once I bought a Kustom CS, the difference compared to the HP-C were like day and night. I was glad I sold the HP-C at eBay.

Peace,

Jose

You are doing this the smart way! I know someone who didn't :coolio: ! Won't say who but his name ryhmes with duey funner. Last year before I, I mean he was an ARC'er, he wanted to up grade from his Paashe. Didn't ask or do research. Just jumped on Evil-bay. Before you know it, there on his work bench was a brand new Custom Micron CM-C, a Eclispe HP-CS AANNNNNNDDDD a High Performance HP-C Plus. The only good thing was that I got them all for $315.00. Want to imagine the amount of redass I, opps, he got from SWMBO?

Edited by Huey Gunner

Guys,

Thank you very much, one and all, for your very helpful advice. Based on this, I think I will probably cover all bases and get both an Iwata and a H&S brush !. Can anyone confirm if I can use the H&S brush with the Iwata 'fittings' (more specifically, the air line). I am guessing they are all pretty much standard but my only previous experience has been with a Tamiya Works and Badger system and they were NOT compatible. Any further advice would be gratefully received, as always,

Cheers for now :wacko:

As a user of both, well at least I had an Iwata before getting a H&S brush, I can assure you there is absolutely NO reason to get both. If you get either the H&S Evolution or Infinity, be sure to get the 2 in 1 model of either and specify both the 0.4 and 0.2 (0.15 if you do 1/72)mm tips and needles. The smaller needle tip will handle all the detail spraying and the larger one will take of general coverage needs. The 2 in 1 combos also include two different size paint cups, small and large, to help you with whatever amount of paint you need. You will need an airhose with a quick release female coupling because the H&S brushes come with quick release male couplings. If you do insist on getting both the Iwata and H&S, you can get a spare male quick release, it will fit an Iwata brush (again, been there, done that).

Get a spare needle of each size at the same time you order your brush, the long taper on the H&S needles make them easier to damage (learned the hard way) than the more robust needle my HP-C has. If you have to buy a replacement needle later, the shipping will come to the cost of the needle, while if ou do it all at once, there is just one shipping cost.

Edited by Chuck1945
Get a spare needle of each size at the same time you order your brush, the long taper on the H&S needles make them easier to damage (learned the hard way) than the more robust needle my HP-C has. If you have to buy a replacement needle later, the shipping will come to the cost of the needle, while if ou do it all at once, there is just one shipping cost.

Thats strange I've found it to be totally the opposite, I had to replace my HP-BC needles within 6 months of having it and my H&S needles have been fine and take abuse alot better, esp with the needle tips..

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Iwata HP-C Plus about a year ago and after switching from my Pashce H and VL models and can't say enough good things about the Iwata.So much so that when a friend of mine recently wanted to sell his HP-C Plus I bought it just to have a spare.I've done a couple of 1/32 FW 190s as well as a Spitfire with the air brush and am sold on the product.I hear the Micron series is first rate as well.