Mandie and I will definately be there. :D I'm hoping to finally finish the my Azur 1/72 Martin Maryland. A freind gave me the kit as a "thank you" for taking him to the 2002 VA Beach Nats, so it seems apprpopriate.

We're hoping to spend a few days in D.C. as well..I had a whirlwind tour of the major sights on my senior class trip in '82..including a whole six hours to see the entire Smithsonian! :cheers:

I know I'll get slammed by the convention organizers if I ask this over on the IPMS forum, but does anyone know if there is any lodging close by that's cheaper than the convention hotels? They're asking nearly 200 bucks a night. I remember in '02 we found a place for less than 100, but it's either changed its name or gone under.

SN

Edited by Steve N
I know I'll get slammed by the convention organizers if I ask this over on the IPMS forum, but does anyone know if there is any lodging close by that's cheaper than the convention hotels? They're asking nearly 200 bucks a night. I remember in '02 we found a place for less than 100, but it's either changed its name or gone under.

SN

Hell no, you won't get slammed! I'm one of the organizers, and I don't blame you a bit... none of us on the committee were happy with the pricing schedule the Doubletree gave us, but we had to suck it up and we're trying to cut costs elsewhere to offer at least a little help... banquet prices are lower than the 07 show, there's free parking (AHEM), registration fees are lower, etc. It's not much, but it's all we can do. The biggest advantage to the Doubletree is convenience- you can walk (stumble?) back from the show each day, plus there's a bar (YAY) and other food-type places right there which are very good. So, it's something of a tradeoff if you stay off-site in that you save some money on the room, but have to rent a car to drive to the show each day.

As regards your question, yes, there are definitely lower-priced places but you'll have to drive a bit... you can use this page to find Va Beach hotels around the whole city:

http://www.vbfun.com/visitors/accommodations.asp

Don't forget Norfolk as well... I don't know what pricing would run for the Marriott and Sheraton right in downtown Norfolk, or the Renaissance Hotel over on the waterfront at Portsmouth, but the views are spectacular and might be worth the 30 mile round trip each day. There's also some budget motels on Military Highway, right off of I-264, although I'd probably recommend those only as a last resort.

HTH

Lynn

Edited by lritger
Mandie and I will definately be there. :P I'm hoping to finally finish the my Azur 1/72 Martin Maryland. A freind gave me the kit as a "thank you" for taking him to the 2002 VA Beach Nats, so it seems apprpopriate.

We're hoping to spend a few days in D.C. as well..I had a whirlwind tour of the major sights on my senior class trip in '82..including a whole six hours to see the entire Smithsonian! :worship:

SN

Check your PM's Steve :P

I'm definitelly there!!!!!

looking forward to another beer-a-thon with Steve B, Filak and Stohr.

Will rendevous with Zmey in VA and will be driving down (a 6 hour).

i'll bring cash, and will be hitting that vendors room hard. and also, can we bring stuff for the 2Bob's party then?

Shark

Well I just booked me and Steve at the Travel Lodge across from the beach, $109 a night...I can't wait. I'm already planning my pink things for the contest. :doh: This time we can drive over in one car, no kids...mine or his (tom choy). yea!!

Dave I really wish you would find some way to get to one show. Maybe Columbus in 09

mandie

Hell no, you won't get slammed! I'm one of the organizers, and I don't blame you a bit...

Thanks Lynn! I guess I was being a little paranoid..I got soundly thrashed by the Convention Chair when I asked about more affordable off-site lodging for the '07 OC Nats on the IPMS forums (we ended up not going due to costs anyway.) Fortunately, we'll be driving, so that gives us a few more options. As Mandie mentioned above, we're booked at the Travelodge right now.

We're definately looking forward to the show..if it's anything like '02, it'll be a great time for all!

SN

Edited by Steve N

I'm planning on it too, gonna get my table reservation in soon (I hope). It all boils down to sales. Enough sales, enough money to pay for the trip. We might have to rent an RV and camp at the local Wal-Mart parking lot after checking prices for rooms.

When will they pick a location that has all the amenities and has reasonable rates for things like accommodations. I know the perfect spot...plenty of things to see and do, lots of places to stay (at affordable rates), good food and facilities capable of hosting the event.

When will they pick a location that has all the amenities and has reasonable rates for things like accommodations.

When that location puts together a bid package and presents it to the E-board meeting. Since every single one of these shows is put on entirely by the host chapter with minimal assistance by the national board, the Convention location is limited to those areas where the local chapters have both the willpower and manpower to put on a show of this magnitude. And until that location gets their collective stuff together and submits a bid to the Executive Board when it comes time to make a decision on a future Nationals site this year, it's not gonna happen.

Look, we're all modelers too... none of us in IPMS Tidewater are independently wealthy (especially my wife and I), but we are committed to putting on the best possible show for you and all the other attendees. We have NO CONTROL over what the hotels want to charge- we've done our best to negotiate decent rates with the three "official" hotels, and other hotels wouldn't even talk to us since it's right in the middle of tourist season here. We're trying to keep costs down in the areas we CAN control so you don't wind up blowing all your dosh on accommodations.

There's been enormous amounts of bandwidth taken up on the subject of when and where the Nats are held, what the NCC's role is and what it should be, and how we as a Society should respond to the ever-increasing costs of putting on one of these shows. They're valid questions, and we collectively have not found a single resolution that will please everyone- I personally doubt that such a thing exists, but it's not going to stop me and other IPMS members from trying to work and make this as beneficial to our fellow modelers as possible.

I look forward to seeing you again Gerald, and if you need directions to a campsite, lemme know... there are a few near the Oceanfront which have decent amenities and also lie right in the flightpath of NAS Oceana, so you'll constantly be running outside your tent to see what's flying over, LOL. :thumbsup:

Lynn

President, IPMS Tidewater

Webmaster, 2008 IPMS-USA National Convention

http://ipmsusa2008.org

The crews from Two Mikes Resin and Two Bobs Aviation Graphics will be there! To save hotel cost we are goingt to rent a beach house for a week. It will actually cost about 500 USD less than if we did three hotel rooms!!

Cheers

Mike

It's ten hours from Hooterville to Virgnia Beach. When the time comes I'll get Floyd to get up a head of steam in the Cannonball and we'll head out. :thumbsup: :blink:

You know, for some reason I thought it was a longer drive than that ....be 9 hours from the big city here :D