The Huey Challenge

Hey Ray,

Actually "triple" teaming. Nibbles from everywhere. Here is another TH-1L. But I kinda hate to post it as it shoots hole in my Side Number theory. Caption says from Aug 1970. She's only a few months old here, with HT-8 at NAS Ellyson Field. The Side Number of 86 just is a "wild card". I have looked VERY closely at the pixel level on that Bureau number and conclude it is "Probably" 157818. I'm a little weak on that last "8". :thumbsup:

157818_MAYBE.jpg

Regards

Steve

Edited by Rotorhead

Hey Floyd,

Your panel look anything like this one? This is from a bona fide TH-1L 157848. The Forest Service didn't modify it TOO much and from the looks of it just slapped a coat of paint on it. Sitting in Tallahasse at a VVA right now.

The "hole" for at attitude gyro has been greatly enlarged. The Dual Tach isn't supposed to be there, but the rest looks original.

157848_Instrument_panel.jpg

Regards

Steve

I'm starting to scratch the bottom of the barrell for TH-1L photos. Does anybody have any AMARC TH-1L photos hiding in a shoebox somewhere? Any Navy Red and White Hueys at AMARC is a start. It's probably a UH-1E disguised as a TH-1L, but who knows?

HELP! :thumbsup:

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello Bill,

Always good to hear from you. Thanks you for the update on your travels. ;) and thank you for the photos of the PAX River bird. My list shows that I'm only a little over 50% of my quest. 25 or 44 birds. It appears the barrel is about empty. It will take someone with a "shoebox" of old photos to fill in gaps.

Regards

Steve

Hello Jon,

Yes i do have that aircraft on my list as having been "found".

I know its a bit busy, but the first post in this thread has an "always updated" photo of my spreadsheet.

Most of the photos are while in Navy service, some are from civilian service. Several migrated to Museums, most that went civilian have been deregistered and some have unfortunately gone to junk yards.

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It's been a long time since I "Found" another TH-1L on my list. Rotorwash found this one for me.....157828. Markings show it was with HT-18 at NAS Ellyson Field 1972 to before the transfer to NAS Whiting Field in late 70s.

157828.jpg

I have not added it to the "Spreadsheet" as of yet.

Thanks Ray!

Regards

Steve

Steve,

You're welcome! here's a couple a more new ones for ya. These and the one I sent before are the only new ones from the Naval Aviation Museum slide collection, BUT there were quite a few more in the photo archives.......stay tuned.

57832 :

USNAMUH-103457835.jpg

57835:

USNAMUH-104157832.jpg

Ray,

You don't know how good it feels to put THREE more X's in the list of FOUND TH-1Ls. And all of those in operational service.

Thank you very much.

Only 17 more to go.............................YIKES

updated the photo "spreadsheet".

Regards

Steve

Edited by Rotorhead
Ray,

You don't know how good it feels to put THREE more X's in the list of FOUND TH-1Ls. And all of those in operational service.

Thank you very much.

Only 17 more to go.............................YIKES

updated the photo "spreadsheet".

Regards

Steve

I bet it will feel even better to add three more to the list. Been doing a little editing, more to come I think. These are from the photo archives.

Ray

57850- The LAST TH-1L built:

PICT909657850.jpg

57831:

PICT910657831.jpg

57837:

PICT9123157837.jpg

Good Morning Ray,

Yes it was very good to wake up and be able to apply more X's to my list. :D

Interesting first photo of the last TH-1L 157850. Notice that it still belonged to HT-8 before the splitup into HT-8 and HT-18 in January 1972. All TH-1Ls (as well as all "other" Hueys) went to HT-18 and all TH-57s stayed with HT-8. It was also decreed at that point to move helicopter training to NAS Whiting Field from NAS Ellyson Field, though that didn't happen until 1973 sometime. So this photo should also MAYBE reak of "New Car" smell. First deliveries came in 1969 and the last one......not sure, but not to distant from this photo.

14 to go.

Thanks Ray............the "Huey Man".

Regards

Steve

Edited by Rotorhead
  • 4 years later...

guess I'm talking to myself. oh, well......I tried

Hey there "Crew Chief 71-75"...........Wow, it's an old thread that I just havent peeked at in a long time. Sorry for missing your post.

I went thru HT-18 as a student in 72, so you were there then. Went back as a flight instructor in 77 so missed you that time. It certainly was a fun time. Hard work, but fun.

And yes, it would be fun to see some of the 8mm on dvd.

Regards

Steve

Hey there "Crew Chief 71-75"...........Wow, it's an old thread that I just havent peeked at in a long time. Sorry for missing your post.

I went thru HT-18 as a student in 72, so you were there then. Went back as a flight instructor in 77 so missed you that time. It certainly was a fun time. Hard work, but fun.

And yes, it would be fun to see some of the 8mm on dvd.

Regards

Steve