Vickers Vincent Scratch-Build In 1/72 Underway

beautiful, beautiful work!

Thank you very much, Sir!

I am marking time till you are able to return to that beautiful Flycatcher you began in the F.A.A. group build: pure self interest, I am hoping to use it as a reference if I ever do one in 1/72 myself.

OldMan each one gets better than the previous. This one is coming along beautifully.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you, Sir!

I am glad you find my efforts to be improving. In some ways, this one is a bit easier than others, as the wings have no stagger and are identical in all dimensions. Apart from the fuel tanks in the upper wing, the only differences are that the center section of the lower wing is a hair longer than that in the upper wing (for what reason, heaven only knows)....

:pray: Hello Old Man,

Once again, beautiful work. It looks so refined even at this stage. Well done.

Cheers,

Ross.

Thank you, Sir!

A note on the motor: the universe seems to be the same predictable thing I have always found it. No sooner than I had completed the scratchbuilt motor, I found the Swordfish kit once again listed in stock at Squadron. I will, of course, stick with my own product now....

I always feel a visit to ARC is only ho-hum unless I see one of your updates here in the Classic Aviation forum, Old Man! Your work inspires me to no end. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Bri2k

Thank you very much, Sir!

I am always glad to see you about the forums. You do excellent work.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting near to completion, Gentlemen! We are moving this month, so I may not get this done completely by the group build deadline, but it is a matter of add-on detail and final finish coats and touch-ups now. have gone with the Aden-based machne of No. 8 Squadron, the likely color scheme being simply too damn odd for an R.A.F. machine to pass up....

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

Edited by Old Man
Interesting color scheme, great project! Thanks for posting your in progress pictures--gives us noobers some good ideas and lots of inspiration.

Good luck with your move!

Karl

Thank you, Sir!

Lord knows if I can do it, anyone can! Nerve counts for more than skill, I am growing to believe....

The color scheme is a touch speculative, but I think Mr. Lucas makes an excellent case for it in his 'Britain Alone' monograph. There is no question this machine was not finished in standard 'temperate land'. Here is a link to a photograph of it in which it is pretty clear there are several different tones of color employed:

http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/htm...VINCENT%20I.htm

Mr. Lucas has established there was a three color scheme (six color with 'shadow shading' employed on biplanes), Tropical Land 4, that had been tried out in the Near East before the war, and that paints for it had been shipped to the theater shortly before the outbreak of the war. This machine was, of course, originally in over-all aluminum dope finish, and like many others was hurriedly camouflaged when hostilities commenced with Italy.

That's some truly outstanding work, Old Man! Your efforts on that magnificent engine were not wasted! I really like your treatment of the exhaust collector ring and the pipe. You've also really amanged to capture the look of those underwing bomb shackles too.

I hope your move goes smoothly. I'm very much looking forward to your next project.

Br9i2k