Resin conversion set for GA11,

Model Art 72-010 FAA decals.

Here are all the compoments:

AAFAAHunter001.jpg

Another look at the donor kit and resin conversion set,

AAFAAHunter002.jpg

And now a closer look at the decal directions

AAFAAHunter003.jpg

That resin set is by Paul Lucas, and was bought at Yate in 2005. There was promise of an article and instructions in a magazine - which has never emerged.

It consists of a Harley light nose, new fuselage centre section, new tail pipe, and arrestor gear.

Photos of Hunter GA.11s at

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...ges=4&page=

The decals depict WT809/696

Cockpit has been prepared and installed into the fuselage. Fuselage has been joined fairly conventionally

AAFAAHunter001-1.jpg

The centre section has to be removed, and replaced with that resin chunk. I joined the fuselage halves, but inserted decal protection sheet where it will be sawn. This will (hopefully) enable each half of the centre section to be removed separately.

AAFAAHunter002-1.jpg

Wings have been assembled and stuck on with tape.

AAFAAHunter.jpg

I found 2 photos of WT809. Early on as depicted in the decal set - without the Harley Light,

and later as WT809/867 with the Harley Light. If my decal spares allow - this is what I'm aiming for.

Was thinking along the same lines myself Tim, using the Model Alliance but without the advantage of the conversion set. Do you know if they are still available?

I found my set at a model show - so yes they're still available.

Ask me at the end of this build - I might have 764NAS markings as spares.

I found my set at a model show - so yes they're still available.

Ask me at the end of this build - I might have 764NAS markings as spares.

Thanks Tim, I'll start searching the 'net tomorrow.

The Model Alliance sheet has XE685/861 from FRADU at Yeovilton in the late 80s overall Extra Dark Sea Grey and XE689/695 of 764 NAS while at Lossiemouth during 1970. Although I'd like to do a Lossie based machine you're welcome to any decals that may help you out here.

Yes - it's available from A2Zee Models: Clicky Linky

That's not the set I'm using. Mine was an introductory offer of a magazine (can't remember which) bought at Yate in 2005.

AAFAAHunterConv005.jpg

I mentioned Hunter GA11 to Neil Robinson, and he showed me this set - being sold by Paul Lucas.

They promised a build article in a forthcoming copy of the mag - which hasn't apperared yet.

This set comprises a Harley Light nose, new fuselage centre section, and different diameter tailpipe.

There's also an arrestor hook and new tail bumper.

To be honest you could put the ModelArt decals onto an F6 Hunter and depict this - without much difficulty.

hunterWT809-867LM.jpg

Thanks Tim, I'll start searching the 'net tomorrow.

The Model Alliance sheet has XE685/861 from FRADU at Yeovilton in the late 80s overall Extra Dark Sea Grey and XE689/695 of 764 NAS while at Lossiemouth during 1970. Although I'd like to do a Lossie based machine you're welcome to any decals that may help you out here.

Is that XE685 as http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5912757&nseq=0 ?

and XE689 as http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5956028&nseq=2

or http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5956019&nseq=3

I'd be interested in doing a trade.

My Model Art set depicts an LM coded aircraft

Hi

Whats the resin fuselage plug for? Is it a correction to the kit?

I made a GA.11 a few years ago in 1/48 using the Academy kit and understood the GA we just a modified 6. I used Aeroclubs update for the cockpit and tail pipe correction and Cutting edge decals for a none haley light machine. I think the only other mods were the hook added, cannons deleted and a few other corrections to the kit tail.

Cheers

Colin W

Yes to this one Tim, no to the others.

PM me your address and I'll get the relevent parts of the sheet for XE685 off to you if you like.

Colin, all the GA-11s were converted from F.4s, hence the different inlet on the upper fuselage.

Edited by Col.

A decal swap has been arranged with Col - so this model won't be completed as originally intended.

I decided against using the fuselage centre plug. Risk of visible seams, is far greater than the benefit of 2 additional vents - that can be created with decals.

Wings were fitted earlier tonight, as was the chin. This will need smoothing to elininate the cannons.

Bit of a dilema now. The kit needs ballast, and there's not much space to install it. I'll probably install it through the tail, though that has to be plugged with a HEAVY lump of resin.

Here's what she looks like tonight. That exhaust is not glued yet, but you can see how it compares with the kit item.

AAFAAHunter001-2.jpg

AAFAAHunter002-2.jpg

A bit more work today. Smoothed all the suspect joints (not many with this kit), and the cannon fairings.

Installed the tailplanes.

Then I installed some lead ballast through the nose and fitted the resin Harley light. A bit more ballast through the tail, and checked balance. Then I snopaked the nose joint.

Fitted the resin tail and snopaked that as well.

AAFAAHunter001-3.jpg

A bit more smoothing - and this is what it looks like underneath.

AAFAAHunter003-1.jpg

Then a VERY quick coat of silver paint, to show any problems with the seams

AAFAAHunter004.jpg

AND I bought a tin of H164 Dark Sea Grey for it today.

That's great work, Tim. Thanks for sharing the pics, and I look forward to it being finshed very soon. Any other Hunters on the horizon?

Andrew

No more Hunters on the horizon - my stash is devoid of Hunter kits now.

However I do have these to declare.

Matchbox_HunterT7_Stbd.jpg

Matchbox Hunter T7

Matchbox_HunterP1101_Stbd.jpg

Matchbox Hunter with P1101 conversion

Airfix_HunterFGA9_Stbd.jpg

Airfix Hunter FGA9

Airfix_HunterFGA9.jpg

Airfix Hunter FGA9 flying

More great stuff, Tim.

Thanks for your updates on the GA.11 and including the pics of your previous Hunters. Although I have some of the Airfix and Matchbox kits, the first Hunters I've actually committed glue to are the Revell F.6 kit. I doubt now that I'll ever get 'round to doing anything with the older ones, perhaps other than to donate tanks or talipipes. There is the small problem of the absence of a good two-seater, which makes doing T.7s and T.8s a bit harder. Time to kitbash? I suspect so....

Anyway, what with your impressive progress on the GA.11, I daresay you're putting the finishing touches to it as I type. Hope it all goes well.

Andrew.

Coming along very nicely Tim, very nicely indeed. On thing worth noting - this particular aircraft (certainly when painted in overall Dark Sea Grey-and well done for not falling for the overall EXTRA Dark Sea Grey mentioned in various publications!) had the small blisters fitted above the outer pylons - and placed in the blue section of the upper wing roundel.

Edited by Bill Clark