Hasegawa 1/32 Thunderbolt

I've started the Thunderbolt, despite a hundred other projects being started, on the premise that it's a great kit out of the box and will need a minimum of extra work to make look good. I just want to actually finish somethign and not go crazy like this P-51B in 1/144th scale I've dropped flaps, scratched a cockpit, ran brake lines and am currently vacuforming a canopy to pose open.

The cockpit is done. All I've added here is an actuator from the throttle to where it will be hidden under the instrument panel. I also plan to get a belt in the seat. Heading to the LHS to get a PE one tomorrow.

tboltcockpitr.jpg

tboltcockpitl.jpg

I used the decal on the instrument panel. Cheating but like I said, looking for an easy build to finish.

tboltpanel.jpg

The engine is coming along as well. Painting is finished. I am adding wiring from small gauge solder. There doesn't seem to be enough connectors on the ignition ring tho. Fudging it.

tboltengine.jpg

Comments welcome and tips appreciated. More to come.

The six missing leads are all at the top of the engine. I ended up sliding the wires down behind the magnetos (think thats right but I'm so tired now I barely remember my name). I'll post pictures of my engine tonight or this weekend if I finally get some time off.

The pit looks good. What a/c are you doing?

James

Thanks for all the comments and advice, guys! No updates just yet. I just did some minor things like gluing the fuselages halves together and the wings to the fuselage. Everyone talks about the great fit of this kit. I must be doing something wrong. I have a ledge on the bottom of the fuselage and both wings have some gap-age where they meet the wing root. I also got two bombs glued together, the wheels, the centerline no bump tank and one stabilizer. The plane is wedged between two books right now so the stabilizer dries straight.

Hagar, I'm building on of the kit planes, Eagleston's ride. I wanted to try a BMF bird and when I saw the yellow cowl and skull and crossbones I saw no need to go any further than the box for markings. I love skull and crossbones and the yellow is different. So many plans use red and blue. of course, with all these gaps needing filled and the ridge on the bottom needing sanded flush, maybe a BMF choice was bad.

I'll have more pics tomorrow since I should have more time to work on it.

• 4 months later...

Okay, been a bit while I was occupied with a Snowspeeder Diorama, a Captain Harlock Arcadia and a Post Apocalyptic VW Beetle (I had ADD with regard to modeling) I got some more work done on the Thunderbolt.

Fuselage together and wow I am a lousy modeler cuz I had seams and ledges and massive canyons (at the wing roots) and everyone says this kit fits wonderfully. I dunno....

P47Dfuselage.jpg

Here I am adding a Eduard belt to the seat and the Flaps need some filing and filling:

P47Dseatflaps.jpg

Here is the engine and the as foretold - PITA cowl. I wired the engine but now I see a missed a cylinder - oh well:

P47Dcowl.jpg

And here is the cowl on the fuselage:

P47Dsofar.jpg

Off from work tomorrow with the car in the shop so I hope to model like mad!