Flying Colours do a decal with a large blue paw print and yellow scratch marks on the upper fuselage to go with the standard camouflage scheme of grey and grey. I think they also do some other anniversary markings too. Model Alliance has made a sheet for the RAF update 2006 that has a Gripen two seater with a blue fin and spine with gold markings for the Empire Test Pilot's School, but again, the basic colours are two shades of grey.

Jens

I'm planning on doing a single seater SAAF scheme, however, I prefer more colourful ones, was wondering if there are any active sqdn's other than grey two-tone :rolleyes:

who makes the SAAF decals? I was thinking about doing the same

Hey guys.

I thought I'd try to make things a little clearer on the SwAF Gripen scheme. As far as I know, being a former aircraft technician on the Gripen with the Swedish AF, no South African (SAAF) Gripens carry another scheme than their grey on grey. The same goes for Czech and Hungarian Gripens as well.

When it comes to Swedish Gripens we've had a few variations on the grey on grey, as mentioned above. Those are:

*39131 - F7 wing. Blue paw and yellow scratchmarks on aircraft back, which later became dark grey. Swedish flag on fin pod. (39131)

*39132 - F17 wing display aircraft. Black fin with text in gold and white, black text on upper fuselage. (39132)

*39176 - F7 wing. Anniversary logo on fin. (39176)

*39802 - F7 wing/SAAB/ETPS. Dark blue fin with ETPS crest and text in gold. (39802)

*39-1 -- 39-5 - SAAB test aircraft. Medium grey with blue and yellow trim. (39-2 grey)

*39-2 - SAAB test aircraft. Was painted all black for high alpha tests. White areas were added later. (39-2 black)

39102 -- 39130 - F7 wing. Early batch aircraft painted in "hi-vis" colours. Got repainted in low-vis during heavy maintenance. (39116)

I hope this helps you out a little. TwoBobs have, as mentioned, a decal sheet for the "Colorful Gripens". Decals for the all black (39-2) are included in the Airfix boxing. Blue/yellow trim for the test aircraft were included in the early (and very inaccurate) Revell release, but you are probably better off just masking and painting those by yourself. There are lots of good pictures of Gripens out there on the internet. If you want a standard grey on grey, just drop me a PM and I'll help you out with all the reference you need. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Niklas from Sweden

Nik thanks very much for that comprehensive info.

Some ok schemes there, but not as colourful as i was hoping.

Of course i could always do a whiffer B)

Thanks to the others too for responding,

Nik any idea on expected loadouts for SAAF a/c. Missiles/bombs?

Nik thanks very much for that comprehensive info.

Some ok schemes there, but not as colourful as i was hoping.

Of course i could always do a whiffer :coolio:

Thanks to the others too for responding,

Nik any idea on expected loadouts for SAAF a/c. Missiles/bombs?

No problem, one always tries to help a fellow modeler.. :(

No, even us in the Air Force wants more colorful Gripens, but so far we've only gotten permission to paint aircraft which are being phased out...

I have absolutely no idea on what loadouts to expect, but I'll keep an eye out for you.

SAAB has a pretty good Gripen site at this location. It's even in English! :)

Maybe you can find something useful there.

Since it's SAAF, one could probably expect the Python 4 and R Darter though.... :)

//Nik

There is a 2 seat Gripen with a blue fin and spine applied over the standard two tone grey scheme that is used by the British 'Empire Test Pilots School'. About as colourful as anything else I've seen for the Gripen!