Tamiya Tape/Arts Tape vs regular masking tape

Is there a benefit to the custom Tamiya or other arts tapes vs the good ol brown masking tape?

I can understand that's its specifically designed for it's purpose, but if masking tape does the same job at the same quality of result, wouldnt it be just as good, if not better being more readily available?

In my own experience, Tamiya tape seems to be thinner, gives a cleaner edge and is much easier to use on curved or compound surfaces and leaves no tape residue when removed. I do use blue painters tape during assembly to hold parts together during set up since it is cheaper than Tamiya and is a throw away item.

I suppose it becomes a choice item based on cost, availability and personal preference.

Cheers,

Dave

Tamiya Tape, drafting tape, and the 3M Blue Painter's tape are all low tack (less sticky) and preferable for masking to good old brown grocery store masking tape. The higher tack masking tape is more likely to pull up some of the paint is is supposed to protect, as well as an increased chance of leaving residue. In my experience, Tamiya tape, when cut into narrow strips (2mm or less) is also more flexible then drafting or painters tape

There is no way in high heaven that I could mask off these perfect lines on my F-4G walkways... both the dark gray and black outline were all airbrushed on with the use of Tamiya masking tape...

IMG_1859Small.jpg

IMG_1855Small.jpg

Tamiya all the way! ... in my opinion worth every penny AND you can re-use it... I typically save the pieces and reuse them for maksing off larger areas and ALWAYS use a fresh piece for a perfect line of separation.

-Greg

-Greg

Edited by lgl007
there is no comparison. The thinness and consistently straight edge are great for masking. The tack is just tacky enough to not pull up paint most times (if applied correctly over primer), whereas masking tape can be a little too tacky in my opinion. I swear by my Tamiya tape.

Couldn't say it better. It's tremendous stuff; worth every penny over regular masking tape.

I'm in the regular masking tape club, all I've ever used.

I buy the "Duck" brand, available at Wal-Mart and other discount outlets, I use 3/4" and 2", I find the 2" to be a little thinner than the narrow one for some odd reason.

I do not use the factory edge on the tape, I stick a piece to a glass cutting board and cut a new edge with a straightedge.

I rarely have problems with it pulling up the paint, I use lacquers and enamels cut with lacquer thinner for my painting.

Ken

There are some brands of surgical tape you can find at drugstores in the bandage section that are similar to Tamiya tape, though not identical. I've tried a Japanese brand called Nichiban and an American brand called 3M Micropore. The Nichiban is a bit more like Tamiya.

What I generally do is use the Tamiya for the important masking, where the paint demarcation actually occurs, and use the other stuff to "fill in" larger areas that require less precision. You can obviously use 3M Blue or painter's tape, but the surgical tapes conform better to curves and don't have that "thick paper" feel.

Another good masking medium that provides clean demarcations is self-adhesive foil, like BareMetal foil. But yes, it's hard to beat Tamiya tape -- it's awesome.

The other huge advantage of Tamiya tape is that the adhesive never dries out. I've masked canopies with Tamiya and set them aside for years and still was able to remove the tape as if were applied the day before.

No other type of masking tape can do that.

Cheers,

Tony