Greetings,

The descent stage requires many decisions as to how much to remove and to scratch build before I can begin foiling it. One of the problems is that the kit seems to have been based on the early training unit and not the flying unit. I am going to get rid of the s-band antenna holder (the cylindrical shape), and probably do something about the equipment bays, but haven't made the final choices.

In the mean time I've been working on the ascent stage and have made some progress. I assembled and filed the middle section. I got some vinyl sheeting at the local plastics store and started to cover the rear of the ascent stage. I soon discovered that I needed to pre paint where the panels would go together otherwise you could see the white showing between them. This morning I painted all the panel joints with a chrome silver. I should be able to resume putting the vinyl on this evening. I'll post photos once I can borrow a digital camera.

Bulletins as they break.

Mike

Rama Lama Nota Lota Anything

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Wow, that brings back some memories.... :D

Hopefully good ones :D

I applied some more silver vinyl last night. I also stopped at my local plastics shop and picked up some matte black vinyl. It looks good on the roll, so hopefully it will look good on the kit.

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

The black is finally on the ascent stage. It was "rubbery" and often tore rather than cut. Lots of redoing of panels. Now all I have to do is finish the silver. I may have access to a digital camera later in the week. If so pics will follow.

Thanks to two great sites for references:

Apollo Photo Archive

and

My Little Space Museum (not mine...)

Wish me luck on finishing in time...

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Greetings,

I got to borrow a digital camera and created a quick web page with progress pictures. The model looks better in person but you'll get the idea.

Progress Page

Sorry about the yellow background...I picked without looking at a color guide.

Thanks,

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Edited by notalotaanything
  • 1 month later...

Greetings!

I'm almost done! All I have left is the decals on the astronauts, details on thier "backpack", and the lunar surface. I've filled the 'shadows' and given the moon a white primer coat. Hopefully it won't look too bad and I'll be able to get out the gray and paint away. Pics will appear soon. I've been without Internet access for a couple of weeks but am glad to be back.

When finishing the descent stage, I came across a good method for making patterns for the vinyl. I used masking tape. Just apply enough masking tape to cover the part, mark, cut, and you have a pattern. It worked very well for the conic sections near the main thruster nozzle, and on the RCS thruster shields. Too bad I didn't think of that earlier...

Mike

Temple of the Rain

Oregon