1/72 Su-37 from Berkut/Zvezda/Nakotne/Encore

First of all, I wish to say hello to every body, this is mi first action on the ARC, and I hope you like it :D

This model is inspired on the well known works of Master Flankerman and Master Haneto, and I will do my best effort to give honour them.

Please, forgive my poor english skills :wub:

You can find a very good reference about Flanker family here:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/flankers.htm

Thank you again Master Flankerman :thumbsup:

I got this Berkut kit a few years ago, since it has an acceptable "canard's shoulder" ang general shape, finally I found the courage to build it.

Su-37_Berkut_0002.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0004.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0005.jpg

There is a lot of work to do, beggining with the short length of this Kit, I found that the best place to made the "surgery" is the middle section of the fuselage, so I traced the line to be sectioned on the upper and lower halves:

Su-37_Berkut_0006.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0008.jpg

Edited by Likoyan

a little help from my jig saw:

Su-37_Berkut_0009.jpg

and now I have more parts to assamble....

To enlarge the fuselage, I added four styrene stripes on the upper side and three on the lower side,

Su-37_Berkut_0011.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0016.jpg

To paste forward and rear sections of the upper section I used as a gide the lower/rear fuselage section and vice versa

Su-37_Berkut_0014.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0013.jpg

Edited by Likoyan

As you can see on the pics, I do not saw the upper and lower halves on the same point, this was for minimize the disalign effects.

Su-37_Berkut_0018.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0019.jpg

The huge gaps on the sections were filled with styrene scraps and cyano:

Su-37_Berkut_0025.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0024.jpg

Edited by Likoyan

After sanding:

Su-37_Berkut_0031.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0030.jpg

Don't be afraid to erase the detail: it has raised pannel lines and will be all engraved.

The following challenge will be the fitting of the Ne Omegas's S-47 cockpitt (it is more appropiate for a Su-37 as it have a side control stick, LCD/MFD instruments and 30 degree tilted seat, instead of the analogic instrument and conventional configuration of a Su-27 one) and the Pavla's canopy for Su-27 (this item is for use on the Italeri kit)

Su-37_Berkut_0032.jpg

See you soon folks!

Abraham Licona

Edited by Likoyan

Good luck on the rest of the build. I finished the same kit back in March, and encountered quite a few problems to make it accurate. I can tell you've cut it in a different place: I cut mine right between where the canards and wing leading edge were to meet, and added a 3/8" plug. Keep in mind you'll also have to stretch the intakes an equal amount.

Here are a couple of other items I did that should be done before too much progress is made:

-Flatten out the "pancake" area between the wings. The spine is too blended into this surface.

-The sides of the forward fuselage are too flat. You'll have to add plastic strips and putty, then shape to give it a more rounded cross-section.

A couple of other things I did were replace the canopy/windscreen with a vacform canopy from Pavla, and reshape the ventral fins and tailplanes using the Airfix Flanker parts as templates.

Good luck!

Thank you guys, very much for your gentile attention!!

Ivan:

I am from a little town called Totimehuacán, very close to Puebla City, but I work and live in Mexico City, so usually I spend my weekends on my "Tierra" ....... building model kits :D , of course this turns crazy my girlfriend. :blink:

MiG31:

Thank you very much for all your tips, I will keep them in mind, you can be sure :thumbsup:

Step II: Re-modeling the forward section

Here you are a couple of pics to show how looks the original canopy:

Su-37_Berkut_0037.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0038.jpg

Not good looking for me; now a view of the fuselage with the vaccum one from Pavla:

Su-37_Berkut_0042.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0043.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0045.jpg

I know that the Pavla's canopy, designed for the Italeri kit, is too big, but is the best choice in this case. As can be seen on this pic, the bath tube of Ne Omega's S-47 cockpitt is too wide for the Berkut's fuselage

Su-37_Berkut_0033.jpg

So I will use the Pavla's canopy as a gide to make some space there

Su-37_Berkut_0046.jpg

The Pavla's canopy is wider than the Berkut's fuselage, so you can be sure that there will be sufficient space for the Ne Omega's item; as the vaccum canopy comes with a portion of the Italeri's fuselage moulded I will use it to correct the wrong side-flattered shape of the kit's fuselage, as MiG31 advises.

I will cut out the canopy ( I love open canopies on small scale aircrafts :thumbsup: )

Su-37_Berkut_0041.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0050.jpg

making some space....

Su-37_Berkut_0052.jpg

On this stage I removed the control panel's area, most of wich will be scratch-builded, and I will use the straight top ends to align the sections:

Su-37_Berkut_0051.jpg

The rear section of the Ne-Omega's S-47 cockpitt (canopy ram area) needs to be widened to fill the gap and match the vaccum canopy

Su-37_Berkut_0053.jpg

Too late to repent...

Su-37_Berkut_0047.jpg

after some filling and sanding...

Su-37_Berkut_0056.jpg

I added a styrene plate on the rear section to place the cockpitt, this plate must keep the "tilt" of the cockpitt

Su-37_Berkut_0058.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0059.jpg

See you soon!!!

Abraham

It might be slightly too big, but on the finished product it looks fine to me. I'm using it for my single-seat Flankers (already on the Su-37 and an in-progress Airfix Su-27), and it looks the part. In the latter's case, it looks much better than the Airfix part.

Looks like you have a lot of work to do. Good luck, you are brave man. :cheers:

Just one thing. Berkut is not called S-47. It is iether Su-47 or S-37. S-37 i prototype code, Su-47 is "production" code. (no, it is not in production).

Regards Berkut - Su-47 freak here at ARC. :woot.gif:

Looks like you have a lot of work to do. Good luck, you are brave man. :D

Just one thing. Berkut is not called S-47. It is iether Su-47 or S-37. S-37 i prototype code, Su-47 is "production" code. (no, it is not in production).

Regards Berkut - Su-47 freak here at ARC. :thumbsup:

Just to explain further...... (from my Flanker development pages...)

Sukhoi uses the letters S & T as internal type designations......

The appellation T is an internal Sukhoi designation indicating a ‘treugol’noe krylo’ - triangular or delta wing. Earlier designs in the "T" series were the T-4 'Sotka' supersonic bomber, the T-8 a fixed-wing prototype of the later swing-wing Su-24 Fencer, the T-8 Su-25 Frogfoot prototype and T10 for the Flanker series.

Sukhoi designs with swept wings were allotted a designation beginning with the letter "S" for ‘strelovidnoe krylo’ - swept wing e.g. S-1 & S-22 (Su-7 Fitter), S-32 (Su-17), the new forward-swept wing S-37 etc......

There are anomalies - the T8 Frogfoot was neither triangular nor swept - and the S80 is straight winged - but hey! - nobody said it was perfect.

The Forward Swept Wing (FSW) demonstrator was designated in the S series as S-37 - but because this caused some confusion with the already-flying Su-37 Flanker, Sukhoi later changed it (the S-37) to Su-47.

As of 2007, the Su-37 is no more (having been re-designated Su-35 when the TVC engines were removed) - it has since crashed - and the Su-47 has not made an appearance for a few years.

Ken

...and the Su-47 has not made an appearance for a few years.

Ken

Do you have some info where it is? My dream is to see Berkut flying... :thumbsup:

BTW: S-32 was original destination of Berkut, it is verson with one engine. S-32 developed into twin engine verson. (S-37)

Edited by Berkut

Hi all you there,

Thank you very much for all your comments, they are very usefull.

Haneto:

I know that the vaccum canopy from Pavla is too big, but I have no other choice, I have been studing the use of the Hasegawa's canopy, but in the end, I dont like how it look.

I wish to know what vaccum canopy is the one on your fabulous 1/72 Airfix Su-27, is it and aftermarket, or is it custom made?

The news: Side wall's re-construction

Su-37_Berkut_0063.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0065.jpg

some dry fitting

Su-37_Berkut_0067.jpg

A first coat of paint for the canopy: (it was neccesary on this stage: I can't paint before and it would be very difficult later)

Su-37_Berkut_0069.jpg

and beggin with the planking process to correct the flat side shape and the "step" of the vaccum canopy:

Su-37_Berkut_0070.jpg

Su-37_Berkut_0071.jpg

I broked the cockpit left side top end during this process :banana:

The Su-37 have the more powerfull N-011M radar with phased array antenna, wich has a larger diameter than the original Cassergrain antenna on the Su-27, so all the forward section and radome shape must be rectified. To do this, first I need "close the fuselage", so I turn my eyes to the aft section to work on the raised pannels of the engine covers, the landing wheel wells and the air intakes....

See you soon

Abraham

Edited by Likoyan